Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Round two done - brakes and suspension finished

I do like a tyre-fitter that knows what he is doing - lining up the yellow dot with the valve to minimise the possible weights needed. :thumb:

5263507459_2156a3bcbf_z.jpg

Looks great Tom, beautiful car too. I've my ride right set a RS +10mm and its very very similar to the look, just a little less space to the front wheel arch, tyre.

5263508477_32f313ee37_z.jpg

One of the things I prefer now is that the car is dead level - before the nose was pointed down which really was a little odd!

For the record, I arrived at CG at 9 am and he finished working on my car at 7pm. Pretty much everything that could be wrong was wrong which is why the car handled like a pig.

I don't think Chris is expensive at all. I previously had a 'geo' done in the main dealer network and I could have just thrown the money away for all the good it did me, now I have a great car again. I call that very good value indeed.

The sad fact is £600 doesn't normally go very far once you get into these cars! :D

Sorry Kim just realised I didn't answer your earlier question re the difference in ride between the two cars

This is my second 4S, first one was running Bilstein HDs and had a lower ride height (couldn't tell you exactly how low). Ride was very firm but it was great fun on smooth roads and very sensitive to steering inputs. The steering wheel did squirm a bit and there was some tramlining though.

The set up I have now is softer (but firm enough) and there is no tramlining. Its a less tiring drive and on balance I prefer it but that probably just means I am becoming part of the pipe and slippers brigade.........

Oh no, here we go again....

:whiteflag:

"Oh no, here we go again....

WhiteFlag"

...damm hoppy993 has/remains infected with the "HD Billie"(Monroe Strain) degenerative 993 suspension disorder

best try the spell again.....

"Look into my eye[hoggy993], look into my eye, the eye, the eye, not around the eye, don't look around my eye, look into my eye, and you're under. "

You will wake up in 10 secs and all this talk/debacle about HD Billies vs Monroe, Achtung, Orange Curry and Chris @Centre Of Gravity etc will be erased from your mind forever.

"3,2,1.....your back in the room"!![/quote]

Attachments

• wiz_eye_132.jpeg
    wiz_eye_132.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 4,272
wizard993 said:
"Oh no, here we go again....

WhiteFlag"

...damm hoppy993 has/remains infected with the "HD Billie"(Monroe Strain) degenerative 993 suspension disorder

best try the spell again.....

"Look into my eye[hoggy993], look into my eye, the eye, the eye, not around the eye, don't look around my eye, look into my eye, and you're under. "

You will wake up in 10 secs and all this talk/debacle about HD Billies vs Monroe, Achtung, Orange Curry and Chris @Centre Of Gravity etc will be erased from your mind forever.

"3,2,1.....your back in the room"!!
[/quote]

:D :D :D

Never change Wizard! :D

hoggy993 said:
Sorry Kim just realised I didn't answer your earlier question re the difference in ride between the two cars

This is my second 4S, first one was running Bilstein HDs and had a lower ride height (couldn't tell you exactly how low). Ride was very firm but it was great fun on smooth roads and very sensitive to steering inputs. The steering wheel did squirm a bit and there was some tramlining though.

The set up I have now is softer (but firm enough) and there is no tramlining. Its a less tiring drive and on balance I prefer it but that probably just means I am becoming part of the pipe and slippers brigade.........

I take it the set up you have now is original specification Monroe as the experts at Porsche intended! :)

Edit ....... goes off to check.......

Ah yes, just as I thought....

:D :D

So, Just to clarify..

Hoggy has personal experience of owning and running Porsche 993's with both Bilstein HS suspension and also Original Monroe suspension....

With the Bilstein HD setup he has found his car to be-

- Ok on dead smooth roads but too firm on normal roads

-The steering wheel squirmed

- There was tramlining

With genuine Porsche designed OE Monroe suspension he has found his car to be-

Just the right amount of firmness

- No Tramlining

-More comfortable

-Preferred choice

So there we have it folks, straight from the mouth of an owner who has sampled both! :)

Original Porsche specification Monroe suspension is the safest, most comfortable, outstanding performance package! :)

Achtung said:

So, Just to clarify..

Hoggy has personal experience of owning and running Porsche 993's with both Bilstein HS suspension and also Original Monroe suspension....

With the Bilstein HD setup he has found his car to be-

- Ok on dead smooth roads but too firm on normal roads

-The steering wheel squirmed

- There was tramlining

With genuine Porsche designed OE Monroe suspension he has found his car to be-

Just the right amount of firmness

- No Tramlining

-More comfortable

-Preferred choice

So there we have it folks, straight from the mouth of an owner who has sampled both! :)

Original Porsche specification Monroe suspension is the safest, most comfortable, outstanding performance package! :)

Totally agreed. Not.

Yet again we are not comparing like with like. Hoggy also said the first 4S was lowered. This is exactly how mine responded when lowered too much.

Now that it is at the correct height, on standard MO33 springs, well set up, and with Bilstein HDs, my car ticks all these boxes:

- Just the right amount of firmness

- No Tramlining

- More comfortable

- Preferred choice

Surely the point is: each to his own. It is impossible to say categorically that Bilsteins are wrong for the car as there are many happy Bilstein owners out there.

OMG you may just have finally and dramatically scored a late winner with this argument Achtung :thumb:

.....meanwhile over at OC and Co's underground bunker HQ, are responses being prepared :dont know:

What I really said was, 'both set ups were great I am just becoming an old man' :mrgreen: Who knows, one day I might see the point of an old jag too......

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
white981gt4
Back