Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 vs Evora with kids

TrevS

Trainee
Hi all

I am very close to pulling the trigger on either a 2010 997.2 Carrera or a 2011 Lotus Evora S. Both cars have enough performance and I'm split which one I prefer in terms of appearance etc. I love the baby supercar look of the Evora but also the classic shape of the 911.

However the thing I'm really tying to establish is which (if any) will be best for someone with 2 small children? I've got a 3 and 7 year old and fitting the kids in for the odd Sunday drive or school run is a must for for me and for the wife to sign off on me buying either car. Has anyone got any experience in how these cars directly compare?

Also are there any tricks like remove seat base/back that give more space for kids seats in a 997?

Any help would be much appreciated.

C4S-OKW-10.jpg

IMG_1939-large.jpg

Thanks

Trev

Get test drives booked. That bottom photo looks like a joke for leg room.

MC

I owned my 997.2 Carrera 2S for 9 years, and bought an Evora 400 after I sold the 911. The Evora is a huge step down from the 911. I felt the lotus was very disappointing and sold it after 4months. It didn't break down, but it just felt inferior to the 911.

In terms of space in the rear the Evora will feel very claustrophobic in comparison to the 911.

Happy to answer any other questions you have.

TrevS said:
Hi all

I am very close to pulling the trigger on either a 2010 997.2 Carrera or a 2011 Lotus Evora S. Both cars have enough performance and I'm split which one I prefer in terms of appearance etc. I love the baby supercar look of the Evora but also the classic shape of the 911.

However the thing I'm really tying to establish is which (if any) will be best for someone with 2 small children? I've got a 3 and 7 year old and fitting the kids in for the odd Sunday drive or school run is a must for for me and for the wife to sign off on me buying either car. Has anyone got any experience in how these cars directly compare?

Also are there any tricks like remove seat base/back that give more space for kids seats in a 997?

Any help would be much appreciated.

C4S-OKW-10.jpg

IMG_1939-large.jpg

Thanks

Trev

I can't speak for the Evora but the 911 is way more practical for children than you might think. The rear seats can be removed easily in place of child seats. You can even fit a pram folded up in the frunk - I've had a Babyzen YoYo and a Nuna Triv in mine with space for a nappy bag and a holdall.

These videos might help too:

https://youtu.be/6d0GYpYcZhs

https://youtu.be/pxJ7SZvYYFA

Enjoy it whichever you decide to go for!

I was looking at the Evora back in 2015: the back seats are ridiculous and not remotely usable, except possibly for shopping. Their only function seems to be so that husbands can tell wives that it is a +2. The seat base is narrow, the seat back is vertical and there was zero leg room behind me and I'm 5'11". In addition, getting in is a challenge with the massively wide sill. As much as I would love a Lotus, I'd want an Elise.

I got the 997 and haven't looked back. Although now that the children have grown, nobody uses the back seat...

Yes, I was looking at similar... And the Evora seat base can be removed which helps a little, but not much.

The Evora is also very claustrophobic in the back, whilst I'm always surprised at how light the 911 is. I'm relatively short at 5' 8" so we can all fit easily enough with booster seats. Not sure about a high backed booster tho'?

MaxA - if you only need to 2 seats, an Elise / Exige really is just on another level with feedback and handling. However, the S1's are seriously raw - which is good for track, bad for motorways ;)

remarklima said:
MaxA - if you only need to 2 seats, an Elise / Exige really is just on another level with feedback and handling. However, the S1's are seriously raw - which is good for track, bad for motorways ;)

It's the one car I still want to own; as much as it would be nice to get a BMW, or an Alfa or something, an Elise or Exige is the final dream car. Sadly they were never officially imported to Finland, and so it's an awkward and expensive proposition to privately import in LHD. But maybe one day.

And raw is fine, my other car is a track car with a semi-stripped interior and a fixed back Sparco bucket seat and it's fairly annoying on the motorway.

MaxA said:
remarklima said:

It's the one car I still want to own; as much as it would be nice to get a BMW, or an Alfa or something, an Elise or Exige is the final dream car. Sadly they were never officially imported to Finland, and so it's an awkward and expensive proposition to privately import in LHD. But maybe one day.

And raw is fine, my other car is a track car with a semi-stripped interior and a fixed back Sparco bucket seat and it's fairly annoying on the motorway.

Ah, yes - the import taxes are not good. There was quite a community in the Netherlands so a fair few LHD, but prices would be high. If you could handle RHD for the occasional drive, the UK market is much cheaper - but import duties would be high. I'd volunteer to drive it over tho' ;)

If you're used to that, it'll be fine - after all a pair of mats in the footwell is all you need!

If I had the room for a 4th car in the household, I'd have an old S1 Elise, just the 120bhp version, dive it like I stole it all the time! One day we'll move, or the zombie apocalypse will wipe out half the street and I can park on the neighbours driveway :D

The 997 rear seat backs unbolt, and the bases are just velcroed in. But I doubt you need to remove them for your children. But do ditch the rear mats so there is more room for their feet.

You have the added bonus of the roof coming off a 997 if you like. Tends to remove all claustrophobia when travelling in the back!

Evora is a cool car for sure, would be interested to drive one, but the 997 is a real winning formula.

remarklima said:
MaxA said:
remarklima said:

Ah, yes - the import taxes are not good. There was quite a community in the Netherlands so a fair few LHD, but prices would be high. If you could handle RHD for the occasional drive, the UK market is much cheaper - but import duties would be high. I'd volunteer to drive it over tho' ;)

If you're used to that, it'll be fine - after all a pair of mats in the footwell is all you need!

If I had the room for a 4th car in the household, I'd have an old S1 Elise, just the 120bhp version, dive it like I stole it all the time! One day we'll move, or the zombie apocalypse will wipe out half the street and I can park on the neighbours driveway :D

Good to know, as I've seen a couple in Sweden, but there seems to be just one guy over here and he set the local price with the first import which he then sold - and last time I looked a 1.8 S1 was over 40kEUR!

I did consider bringing an RHD job over but to save on tax, and have it unregistered, I'd need a trailer and space in the garage, and to just drive on the circuit would be a bit of a waste.

Whilst I have no experience of a Lotus I can say that with a 997 they are practical. I have a 15 year old (5'10") and if I push the front seat forward a bit he can sit in the back without his head touching the roof. Furthermore, if he's in the front I can get his friend also same height in the back. Of note, my 997.1 had Bose and was tighter in the back, probably due to subwoofer. 997.2 doesn't have Bose and is more spacious. Both cars are coupe but don't forget a cab has straighter rear seats.

I've started to sit my 9 and 11 year old in the back of the 997 without car seats. Discuss. They look more hunkered down and protected versus using a booster cushion which puts their necks in line with the top of the Porsche seat.

Thanks all, really useful info

After a measuring and weighing the kids tonight and checking through the latest rules on car seats my 7 year old would need a booster as not quite tall enough to just use a seat belt (135cm limit). However my 3 year old is small for her age so would require a group 1 forward facing baby seat. I think that will be the trickier item to find so does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks again for all the info, great to see that the 997 is actually usable for getting kids in.

Trev

Thanks to the person that suggested the dad car youtube channel, really useful reviews. Here are a few comparison images. After watching reviews on both cars it appears that the Evora looks more cramped initially but once the kids seats are in then the Evora looks to be more spacious for the little one. I think the shape of the 911 seats and car seats he used didn't help for the review so there may be seat options that will give some more space in the 911.

seats-adult-rear.jpg.c7dee153f3b45ff1a0dfd496bc3e0d48.jpg

seats-driving.jpg.b23185ce5dd78232d47204029643dedf.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back