Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Babyseats (Rear facing)

joshkbaker

Silverstone
Hi,
Has anybody got any experience in fitting baby seats in the back of a 997.1?
Currently have a run around car that has ISO fixers and we use a base for that.

However, my 997 obviously doesn't have Isofix slots.

I did already fit the current baby seat in the back using the European seatbelt method however, I'm dubious about how secure that is. The baby also wasn't a huge fan and I'm wondering if there was a tiny bit of movement and it was shaking her up too much and making her upset.

I'm only 5ft8 so it's quite easy to fit our current seat in the back with a little bit of space still.

I'd actually prefer a base so it's super quick and easy to just leave a base in the back and slot the seat in and out whenever needed. Anybody who has done the seatbelt method in the 911 with a crying baby is probably aware of the stress of tightening the seatbelt with about 10 cm of space behind you haha.

I have seen on Halfords they have a base that is actually fixed via a seatbelt rather than iso fixers. So you just weave the belt between the holes and then clamp the seatbelt tension device and it acts exactly like a normal iso fix base.

Baby is 6 months old so would really prefer rear-facing. I actually got rid of 981 cayman so that I'd be able to take her around in the 911 with the misses. If there's just not a viable solution I guess I'll have to wait until shes older :(

Anyone with experience in this?

Halfords:
https://www.halfords.com/baby-and-c.../joie-i-base-isofix-car-seat-base-186308.html

Thanks

Mine are out of the baby seats phase and just in boosters - although I do insist on high backed boosters with the head supports in the "family" car, even tho most friends are just on booster cushions.

Anyway, would it make more sense to have the baby in the front seat with the airbag off, and you partner behind you / baby? That way you can comfort them easier should they need it? It'd give you more room to move and get the seat belt properly fixed?

remarklima said:
Mine are out of the baby seats phase and just in boosters - although I do insist on high backed boosters with the head supports in the "family" car, even tho most friends are just on booster cushions.

Sorry to hi-jack but any recommendations? I just bough a halfords "essentials" group 1/2/3 highbacked booster based on some reading here but its not a great fit in the rear.

So for occasional trips in the 997 I am using a Silver Cross Simplicity rear facing car seat and that seems to strap in to the rear seats quite well. I don't have any worries about it.

In due course I was looking at possibly switching to a Cybex Pallas B-fix because although it has isofix points it doesn't rely on them. I have heard about the MaxiCosi Pebl being an option too. I haven't tried any of these myself yet.

To have a car seat in the front you'd need to get a switch fitted to disable the airbag which i gather is a £4-500 job.

Let us know how you get on, it would be great to have some actual solid confirmations of what works and what doesn't. There always seems to be a lot of hearsay (here and everywhere else).

jeffersWales said:
remarklima said:

Sorry to hi-jack but any recommendations? I just bough a halfords "essentials" group 1/2/3 highbacked booster based on some reading here but its not a great fit in the rear.

Our high backed are the Recaro ones but they do not fit in the 997 - so the kids get to sit in just the basic booster cushions... But it'll not be long till my eldest doesn't need them at all.

I think you'd need something really narrow, which the Recaro's aren't! |So all I can help with is, do not get the Recaro high backed as they're massive ;)

Porsche prince saftey seat will fit the 996 997 and 991...there's a few for sale on eBay but buying a 2nd hand safety seat is not to everyone's likening..
I went through this dilemma in the past as majority of safety seats are to wide and rest on the side lumbar supports including the Recaro as mentioned above..

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cchrysos
Back