Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My aqua blue 2011 997 GTS

What a great post and car, congratulations.

I looked for a long time narrowing down to 997.2 GTS RWD manual, looked at most for sale for at least a year (short list).

Two and a bit years in very happy and maybe only a GT car would sway me from it.

Enjoy.

nlm13 said:
Echo the comments on the car being stunning. I think it has my perfect spec other than the black wheels, that blue is one of my favourites! Having sold my 997 C4S last year I am now looking for another one as I really miss it and I think it will have to be a blue one as I seem to have had a run of black cars recently (currently on numbers 6 and 7) which look amazing for about 5 mins after washing and polishing them, but as I use my cars every day that never lasts!
I've never had a black car, because everyone says they are super hard to keep clean - so I know it would drive me crazy! Happy hunting & good luck with your search :thumb:

gavp said:
What a great post and car, congratulations. I looked for a long time narrowing down to 997.2 GTS RWD manual, looked at most for sale for at least a year (short list). Two and a bit years in very happy and maybe only a GT car would sway me from it. Enjoy.
Yes they are not easy to find, then even harder in right / colour spec. Then they tend to sell super fast too! Glad you are still enjoying yours :)

I found some interesting 997 GTS stats shared by someone in US. Interesting to see & compare to UK. Seems it's easier to get data in US compared to UK, although I don't know how accurate these numbers are (bulleted text has been copied from original author)...

- 1,500 total 997 GTS cars were sold in the US in coupe, cabriolet, RWD, AWD, manual, or PDK configuration.

COMPARED TO ~708 IN UK

- One of the rarest configurations is the manual, RWD, coupe. Only 276 cars with this configuration were sold, which makes it rarer than a GT3

COMPARED TO ~95 IN UK (coupes + cabs, we don't have specific numbers for coupe-only, guessing ~75 coupes)

- Most GTS cars were sold with centerlock wheels. Only 127 cars were optioned with the 5-lug Carrera Sport wheels.

- Less than 24% of GTS cars came with the LSD option

- 14 cars were optioned from the factory with folding bucket seats

- 41 cars were optioned with PCCB ceramic brakes

- 16 cars were Paint-to-sample (PTS)

- One factory color that was originally offered was Amethyst Metallic, which looks like a deep dark metallic purple, almost black in low light. Only 4 cars were optioned with this color, making it the lowest production number for a factory color option. White and black are the most common colors.

I took the 997 to Precision last week as I was picking up my 996 to test some work they'd done for me (parked next to each other in photo). So I swapped the cars over for a week and asked Andy & team to thoroughly inspect & test the 997 to make sure everything is 100%. They are very good at finding issues no one else has spotted - and fixing them too.

They found a couple bits of interior trim that were not fixed properly, and a seized alternator belt & tensioner assembly, which was surprising as it's hardly done many miles since I bought it after two separate inspections in Aug. But these things happen. Now fixed.

I also asked them to remove panels underneath, make sure everything is ok, cleaned and fully protected. Overall they said it was just like a new car & in great condition. Always nice to get a clean bill-of-health from the fantastic team at Precision. They know their stuff. It will be returning later this year for annual maintenance, etc.

Attachments

• 997_996_precision_622.jpg
    997_996_precision_622.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 2,753
Info on drive belt tensioners seizing can be found on the link below ..

To the best of my knowledge Porsche have not modified these so we are fitting the same design that has failed .. as such 5 - 10 years and you may well be replacing these again .

These days if i have one of these cars on a ramp i tend to check it regardless of the work the car is booked in for .. a seized or partially seized tensioner and it gets a Red flag from me on the vehicle report check sheet due to possible engine damage should the bolt snap

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=132158&highlight=tensioner

Thanks very much deMort. I've just read through your thread above. Very good of you to keep highlighting this issue. Luckily I dropped it into Precision, seems it's on their check-list. I will now also add it to my annual servicing check-list to ensure it's always checked going forward :thumb:

Thought I'd provide update on the suspension set up after putting some more miles on it. It's quite amazing the difference between when I originally bought the car and after DSC module install / config + various other tweaking by Chris at Center Gravity.

Here are notes I took after Chris explained the DSC setup (hopefully all correct, anyone who knows Chris knows he likes to share his encyclopaedic knowledge on these subjects, which is far more than mine!)....

* DSC module config modified: light off mode to give longer comfort
* Difference between mode 1 and 2 is how quickly it moves from the comfort map to sport map. Both start in similar comfort map but mode 2 moves to sport map sooner based on the various parameter inputs & algorithm.
* Mode 2 has narrower comfort band, and wider sport band.
* Mode 1 is not only about comfort, its primary focus is to keep tyres on ground for grip.
* Whereas mode 2 is about controlling weight transfer.
* Recommended to use 2 when doing high speeds with weight transfers, eg hard accelerator & brake & turns. Otherwise 1.

Initially I left it mostly in mode 1 (comfort) as my local roads are very rough and bumpy, and mostly low-ish speeds. I'd read so much about standard PASM mode 2 (sport) being too hard for our roads, and my initial experience of mode 2 on this cars optional Sports PASM confirming.

Then one day i decided to try mode 2 for a long trip and although I felt more of the rougher sections of the road when switching between modes, I quickly forgot about it. Then a few days later I noticed I was still in sport mode as the DSC module remembers the setting. Now I leave in sport mode all the time. I prefer the extra damping control. I never would have done this with the original SPASM. Night and day difference overall & great modification 👍

And not a scrape over any speed bumps anymore either thanks to the other adjustments Chris made + added damper control 😊

The DSC really is a remarkable upgrade. Given its software based to control existing hardware I find it remarkable that Porsche did not develop PASM on the same basis themselves :dont know:

I like an ownership/project thread.

This is a lovely car, a manual hardtop widebody ... all I'd want to do is lighten those rims for more contrast. GT Silver or Weiss Gold maybe.

Are you thinking about any other modifications, enhancements or improvements?

jonttt said:
The DSC really is a remarkable upgrade. Given its software based to control existing hardware I find it remarkable that Porsche did not develop PASM on the same basis themselves :dont know:
Agree, always great to see original hardware being improved with software & easily reversible if wanted.

MaxA said:
I like an ownership/project thread.

This is a lovely car, a manual hardtop widebody ... all I'd want to do is lighten those rims for more contrast. GT Silver or Weiss Gold maybe.

Are you thinking about any other modifications, enhancements or improvements?
Wheels are an interesting one. Silver (or other single light colour) definitely changes the look and makes them look bigger too, however I also really like them as standard black on this car. Sets off the red callipers against blue paint very nicely.

I've got a few other ideas floating around. Tweaks but nothing huge. I really like this car as it was designed & ordered. Original owner did a great job spec'ing it. For sure I will update this thread with any changes.

Fair enough, I'll keep an eye out.

On reflection, it seems to me that unless you want to go berserk with aero kits, side skirts, big wings and new bumpers - which is fine but tends to end up looking like a GT3 - and all the interior carbon and paint options - also fine but essentially cosmetic - it seems to me that there aren't actually too many things to do to a well spec'ed 997, as - unlike many other cars - there isn't much to be done with the engine ... as such I've sort of come to an end of the modification phase, and now I just drive the thing and collect stone chips.

It would be cool to add new headers and sports cats and free up a couple of HRSPRS (thanks donut) but I've learned from past experience that getting an MOT can be a challenge (at least over here, as there are no ways to avoid emissions testing). :frustrated:

MaxA said:
Fair enough, I'll keep an eye out.

On reflection, it seems to me that unless you want to go berserk with aero kits, side skirts, big wings and new bumpers - which is fine but tends to end up looking like a GT3 - and all the interior carbon and paint options - also fine but essentially cosmetic - it seems to me that there aren't actually too many things to do to a well spec'ed 997, as - unlike many other cars - there isn't much to be done with the engine ... as such I've sort of come to an end of the modification phase, and now I just drive the thing and collect stone chips.

It would be cool to add new headers and sports cats and free up a couple of HRSPRS (thanks donut) but I've learned from past experience that getting an MOT can be a challenge (at least over here, as there are no ways to avoid emissions testing). :frustrated:
Oh there's always things that can be done, just depends how far to take it. I'm taking it slow with this car, as it's already great & I have other projects going on with my other cars. Sometimes collecting stone chips and happily enjoying current state is good enough :)

I would order some OEM ceramic brakes for yours and a set of folding buckets (go for heated version off a 991 in fact may be ordering a set for mine so I see a potential deal :)). Unicorn 1% car then with that sports suspension , LSD and amazing colour according to those stats. Those potential upgrades add a lot to the drive and experience.

Also maybe paint seats webbing Aqua Blue - I'm so good at man maths and emptying wallets flipping PhD in it :grin:

I'm talking to Porsche parts if you'd like me to PM prices to you in Sept. Fellow on hols :wink:

Attachments

• img_2914_731.jpg
    img_2914_731.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2,339
  • img_2914_731.jpg
    img_2914_731.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2,339
And you have far too many 911s! Just seen this thread!!

(not) :hand:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
concept303
Back