Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Coupe Sunroof Water Ingress When Stationary - Usual culprits confirmed as not the issue, thoughts?

u05harrisb

Hey Folks,

I have a 997.1 Sunroof Coupe and am currently finding water in the interior of the car whether it's left stationary outside or being driven in the rain. The water is isolated only to the footwell of the rear passenger seat. At times with the recent heavy rainfall I can be pulling a litre or more every few days which is obviously non-ideal.

Usual culprits have been checked:
  1. Friends Green Porsche fixed any sunroof drainage issues, and I've reconfirmed that they're draining fine and also done the weed wacker trick too
  2. The bulkhead bungs have been removed in the front of the car
  3. I'd adjusted the rear three-quarter window and found no correlation here either
  4. The carpet isn't wet in the vicinity of the door cards itself which seems to therefore exclude the known door card membrane issues some folks have, it manifests only in the rear footwell being wet
I'm not finding anything else wet and I've even pulled the rear three-quarter interior panel off to see if I could find water dripping down the internal body skin of the car, and it all appeared dry despite the recent rain at the time of investigating. It is worth noting that the car is parked on a diagonally slanted driveway meaning that the rear left tyre is the lowest most point of the car, naturally therefore water would drain to this area of the car, but I must confirm that I'm not finding residual damp anywhere else which leads me to believe the footwell is where this leak is naturally draining too and not just because it's where it stops once it's in the car!

Currently, the best guess is that it has something to do with the roof strip gasket as the weather stripping at the end of the car shrinks over time exposing a little gap, or potentially it's as "simple" as the rear window needs resealing, perhaps. What do you think might be a related factor here based upon the knowledge you've got, and what would you consider best actions-on to get closer to resolving the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a rear wiper - they can come loose / or the rubber degrade and leak there - just a thought.
My old 997.1 leaked there until I fixed it.

Good luck and hope you fix it soon.

Thanks so much for the swift response! Good thinking - I actually don't have a rear wiper, so fortunately that removes that as a possibility at least!

It's probably not that then ;)

I have something similar that I am trying to pin down at the mo. I get a wet driver's side rear seat after very heavy rain. I have cleaned all the drains out recently. The back shelf is always dry and I have had the door membranes done in the past too. No wetness in the footwell. I haven't checked the rear window seal as yet but will do that in the next day or so. I also checked the rear wiper seal and it looks fine. I'll continue the research. I do wonder if I haven't managed to put a hole in the drain while cleaning it out a few months back.

For reference I did see someone who stripped out their interior carpeting in the same area and sprinkled talcum powder all over to see where the water was pooling from. Bit extreme but seemed to work out in the end.

I have something similar that I am trying to pin down at the mo. I get a wet driver's side rear seat after very heavy rain. I have cleaned all the drains out recently. The back shelf is always dry and I have had the door membranes done in the past too. No wetness in the footwell. I haven't checked the rear window seal as yet but will do that in the next day or so. I also checked the rear wiper seal and it looks fine. I'll continue the research. I do wonder if I haven't managed to put a hole in the drain while cleaning it out a few months back.

For reference I did see someone who stripped out their interior carpeting in the same area and sprinkled talcum powder all over to see where the water was pooling from. Bit extreme but seemed to work out in the end.
Hey Spinnaker,

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I have a similar issue and have tried all of the obvious stuff. I'm convinced the water gets in between the outer and inner sheet metal skins somewhere, which is why it runs under the rear seat / rear footwell without soaking the headlining etc. I suspect the rear quarter window still and wonder if there's a seal / grommet / bung missing somewhere where the window fittings pass through?

So frustrating!

So it is still an issue after days of rain but lessening now better weather is coming. I snow foamed and rinsed the car the other day and I saw a few drips of water coming down the inside of the rear driver's side window so I am now wondering if it is actually the rubber window seal rather than the drains or rear wiper seal. I was hoping for a couple of days of dry weather (please god!) so I can pour a few buckets of water over the window and see if I get any wetness in the seat base. It would be a good start to just localise it.

I'm not finding anything else wet and I've even pulled the rear three-quarter interior panel off to see if I could find water dripping down the internal body skin of the car, and it all appeared dry despite the recent rain at the time of investigating.

How does the rear three quarter panel come off? I don't want to destroy it by just pulling at it. You are talking about the inside of the pillar between the rear side window and rear windscreen, right?

I had the same issue - albeit with a 911 3.2. Sunroof drains were checked and clear - and strimmer cable went through them - but the n/s had come off a "spigot" and was leaking right at the back and water dripping down rear quarter and soaking passenger rear footwell. Took us a year to find it. Not sure if same set up in 997s bit wouldn't be surprised. Looking here it appears so...

Thanks for that drmark, that is another potential issue. I want to make sure the cleaning of the drains hasn't holed the tube or pushed it off the connection somewhere.

The classic error is blowing compressed air through them - that'll blow a joint.

drmark, that is a very good call. Different car altogether, but my cousin in Germany has a Tiguan with a Panoramic roof. Seals were replaced and the leak still occurred, it was the connection with one of the drain tubes. Can the original poster access a minature optic camera and check the drain channels and connectors?

I had the same issue - albeit with a 911 3.2. Sunroof drains were checked and clear - and strimmer cable went through them - but the n/s had come off a "spigot" and was leaking right at the back and water dripping down rear quarter and soaking passenger rear footwell. Took us a year to find it. Not sure if same set up in 997s bit wouldn't be surprised. Looking here it appears so...
Hey drmark,

The setup is similar on the 997, in that each corner of the sunroof frame has a plastic corner with a spigot that connects to the corrugated tube. I think the difference is that if the tube is disconnected in a 997 the headliner also gets wet very obviously - ask me how I know 😂

In my case I think the leak is in the b-pillar area, hence suspecting the quarter window leading seal or fitment of the window itself, resulting in water travelling through the quarter and onto the rear seat / floor. Always soaks up through the carpet; has never pooled from the top.

The joy of old cars!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back