Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Artic Silver '99 Carrera Coupe

A few bits to report since the last update in Feb, I'm using it less and enjoying it even more, had a major service which has uncovered some issues, fitted a 3 spoke wheel, did a track day at Brands Hatch Indy (and understeered lots around Clearways), I'm part way through changing the discs and pads, shoes and handbrake cables, and it's booked in to have the "issues" sorted.

It had a fast road setup with Parr last year which I've been pretty happy with, and at road speeds there's no noticeable understeer. But on track at Brands Hatch going through clearways I couldn't find a way to manage the understeer. I am lead to believe a narrow track can induce understeer, and I have Carrera 3 wheels which are ET57 so 7mm further tucked in than 996 18x8s. I have another booked for later this month, it'll be interesting to see whether 10mm spacers make any difference.
I now see the logic in the 235s it was wearing on the front when I got it. If the spacers don't help, then when I next need tyres I will go back to 235s.

51285804471_9da6109703_c.jpg

51285803161_6ba8115f05_c.jpg

It went to Precision Porsche in May for a major service and spark plugs. They found a few issues, some of which I already knew about:
- the gearbox is whining and likely to be a main shaft bearing (I knew about this one, but nice to have it confirmed by those in the know).
- the front struts are missing the metal support ring.
- the handbrake cables and shoes need replacing
- 1 exhaust stud snapped (I knew about this), but it is now leaking (wasn't previously).
- and the shocker - the metal hex part of spark plug on no.1 has sheared, the spark plug is still functional, but cannot be removed. :frustrated:

The metal has sheared on the line below:

51154976048_fde5bb0575_c.jpg

This is a pic they took of it with a borescope, but it doesn't show much.
51150058737_098057b870_z.jpg

I did the support rings before the track day, and took it relatively gently given the other issues.

I was hoping to drop the gearbox and take it up to Helical Gearboxes in SE London on the strength of Shalmaneser's recommendation, but work is ridiculous at the moment so I have booked it in with Precision again for:
- drop engine and gearbox
- strip and rebuild gearbox as needed
- replace all manifold studs
- remove spark plug (they are >50% confident this can be done without removing the head)
- change AOS, oil cooler, gearbox mount, and brake line over the gearbox.

It's going in mid-August, fingers crossed it doesn't need the head off, but if it does I'm already into it for so much that it has to be a keeper! We're having e a new shed put up later in the year so on it's return it can go in the garage too.

Re. Managing understeer on track, I've just been at Bedford with mine for the first time and my combo of m030 springs and dampers, with m030 front ARB and h&r rear ARB set to it's softest setting gave really excellent turn in. There was some power understeer exiting the corner but I reckon that's just my inexperience!

The ARB is a pretty cheap and effective change so might be worth a look.

A brief update, the car hasn't had much use in the last couple of months, a few 20-30mile runs out but that's about it. I had a few days away cycling in the Peak District earlier in the month and kicked myself for not taking it, I had been put off by the need for 2 bikes on the roof and a nervous passenger

There's a couple of events coming up which I will use the car for, Classics at Prescott on 12th September, and a track day at Snetterton in October (booked after I had to cancel the 2nd planned Brands Hatch evening track as I was awaiting PCR test results).

Ahead of those I have tidied a couple of bits, a new bonnet badge as the previous (non-original) badge had severely deteriorated, and replaced both sun-visor mirror unit as the covers had broken.

51414720378_6bf7290561_c.jpg

Gearbox components have long lead times at present so I have postponed that work until after the Snetterton track day.

Oh, I almost forgot as well, I have bought a 997 sport seat in space grey. I find the standard 996 seats sit me a bit high and on track my helmet is on the roof. I'm awaiting delivery of some Torx female sockets so I can remove the current seat and will then get it in.

I've had an eventful couple of months with the car, I've made a few more changes, and am uncertain about what next.

I have fitted the 997 Sport Seat, which I would guess sits me 40mm lower, so I have clearance to the headlining when wearing a helmet and feel more connected to the car, you sit in it rather than on it like I did with the 996 comfort seat. I haven't wired in the power backrest or heating yet, a job for later. I'm after a passenger seat to match if anyone hears of anything.

The leather on my gearknob is a bit grubby, and I fancied a change so I have fitted a BuiltByBasil wooden knob. These are made from old skateboards, are great quality and fit very securely, worth a look online or instagram. I bought a standard gearknob/gaiter and frame from eBay to cut down to preserve my original one as all the replacements seem to have the gear pattern on a black insert in the top, not engrave in as my original. Does anyone know whether this was an option or just standard on early cars?

51604964775_0cc7256e59_c.jpg

I did a track day at Snetterton on Monday, not a circuit I've driven before but definitely one I will do again. I ran slightly lower pressures (29fr 34r checked immediately after coming off track), and between that the 7mm spacers on the front didn't suffer the same understeer I did earlier in the year at Brands, there aren't any off camber corners though so I don't know whether it is completely resolved. Despite the recently changed brake discs and pads, and fluid about a year ago I was struggling with confidence in the brakes. I was well into the wear bars on the rear tyres (265/40R18 Kumhos) by the end of the day, so had a pair of PS4 fitted before travelling back.

51638480323_7e8fcb2c91_c.jpg

51637435767_885c308533_c.jpg

I need to decide whether I persevere with it on track. I can either spend some money on replacing the braided lines, fancy brake fluid, track orientated pads, and some track tyres for the 17" 10spokes I have; or get a dedicated track car and trailer.

At present I am insuring the car for each track day at about £250 a go, the only annual policies I could find that included track days were significantly more than my existing road policy. The idea of a cheap track car and trailer, with cheap consumables and that I don't need to insure appeals, but I don't really have anywhere to store it.

If I go with the 17" wheels, I am reluctant to run 205/50 fr, 255/40 rear as that will move the balance of grip backwards compared to the 225 fr/ 265 rr 18s I am using at the moment.

Has anyone used 225/45R17 front and 255/40R17 rear on track, and have any comment on the balance?

Wednesday I got made it (late) over to the Duke of London October Porsche night. I feel like I missed the boat not getting to Caffeine and Machine before it became very popular, so thought I'd get over to this one to see what it is like. A great selection of cars, some good chat, and good pizza.

I didn't take many pics, and this one was late in the evening when it was already fairly thinned out

51637450072_65e96b5dd6_c.jpg

The car is going into Precision Porsche next Friday for the spark plug and gearbox work, fingers crossed the head doesn't need to come off.

It maybe worth giving Classicline a call as they include track day Insurance on their policies.

Nice update Hugh...

Hugh_ said:
I have fitted the 997 Sport Seat, which I would guess sits me 40mm lower, so I have clearance to the headlining when wearing a helmet and feel more connected to the car, you sit in it rather than on it like I did with the 996 comfort seat.

I've got exactly this problem in my 996. I'm currently debating the 997 sports seat or aftermarket, and leaning towards the later at the moment for a change.

Hugh_ said:
The leather on my gearknob is a bit grubby, and I fancied a change so I have fitted a BuiltByBasil wooden knob. These are made from old skateboards, are great quality and fit very securely, worth a look online or instagram. I bought a standard gearknob/gaiter and frame from eBay to cut down to preserve my original one as all the replacements seem to have the gear pattern on a black insert in the top, not engrave in as my original.

That looks awesome, and something else I'm very tempted to do. Also from Basil. Do you have a short shift fitted? Or are you running standard 996 shifter? How is the throw feel? Normally I like a heavier knob for the throw, so I was wondering if the wood feels light.

Hugh_ said:
Wednesday I got made it (late) over to the Duke of London October Porsche night. I feel like I missed the boat not getting to Caffeine and Machine before it became very popular, so thought I'd get over to this one to see what it is like. A great selection of cars, some good chat, and good pizza.
I was down DoL recently for a 993 night. It's a good venue not far from me (unlike C&M) - and yes great pizza too :)

Hugh_ said:
The car is going into Precision Porsche next Friday for the spark plug and gearbox work, fingers crossed the head doesn't need to come off.
I also use Precision for my 996. Great team. What work are you having done to the gearbox this time? I see you mentioned some kind of whine symptom - how does this manifest itself?

I think because I wanted 5k miles, inc business use that classic line and the like offer weren't competitive.

I have one of Alex's short shifters. At present it is a bit too short/heavy particularly when it's cold and not warmed up. The knob hasn't made a different to the weight, but I prefer the feel in the hand to the standard one. I will see how it is after the gearbox work, and possible change the cables then, but I don't think they need doing. Alex is developing a different shifter that isn't quite as short, which I will probably try when available.

The gearbox has a whine - in normal use (ie set off and drive somewhere without sitting in traffic) it is only evident on a very slight throttle or overrun in 4th. If crawling through London traffic then I think the gearbox gets much hotter than during use because of heat soak, and when first up to speed having sat in traffic for a prolonged period the whine is present at all times when over about 40mph and in all gears, and louder. The consensus seems to be gearbox bearings, so it is going in for a strip down and investigate, and replace as necessary.

During the major service earlier in the year they found plug 1 didn't have the portion that the socket engages with. It appears to have sheared at some point previously. The plug is working fine at present but cannot be removed. They are going to drop the engine and try and remove the plug using an easy out. If that doesn't work it's head off time :sad:

Also while the engine is out they are going to replace all the exhaust manifold studs, 1 has sheared already and there is a slight leak between the head and the exhaust manifold. They'll do the brake line, AOS, Y cable and oil cooler at the same time while they're accessible.

Sounds like a decent amount of work. Hope it all works out for you, without too much £££ damage. At least it's with a good indy. Good luck!

:thumbs: great thread Hugh

bit miffed I didn't spot any announcements about the Duke of London's Porsche night, as it's fairly local for me.

sp1ke said:
:thumbs: great thread Hugh

bit miffed I didn't spot any announcements about the Duke of London's Porsche night, as it's fairly local for me.

Thanks! I've just had a notification for the November Porsche Night at DoL, let me know if you want me to forward the details.

The good news from Precision is that the engine doesn't have to come out - wahoo!. The previous prognosis that the nut part of the plug was sheered and missing was wrong and on further inspection with the borescope they realised the plastic insert from a plug socket had got stuck/left on the plug. Another plug socket was heated to make the inner flexible, and pushed over the top which allowed them to remove the plug. I'm very thankful it isn't a head off job!

All the manifold studs snapped, and the flanges of the manifolds were rusty and deteriorating, so I had a set of TopGear equal length stainless manifolds shipped to Precision which they have fitted. Nothing like go faster/noisy bits to help justify a big bill! They were recommending DesignTek manifolds, at ~50% more cost, which Top Gear confirmed are their manifolds.

There were no horrors in the gearbox, as well as the pinion/output shaft bearing which were suspected they found some wear evident to the input shaft bearings too, so all new bearings for both shafts, diff, and the shifting rods. I have asked them to change the synchro rings on 1st/2nd as these are a known weak point, and fit a Quaife ATB differential while it's apart.

I should be picking it up this weekend, and I can't wait to enjoy it again. There's a few little bits still to do, get the brakes a bit better for the track, a couple of minor cosmetic bits that I'll do at some stage, and I still need a matching 997 Sport seat for the passenger side, but otherwise it is very close to where I want it to be now.

Sounds like the kind of invisible but transformational mods that are well worthwhile :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back