Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Planning to get into 997.2 or 991 (coming from M2)

Yoshuey

Silverstone
Hey all, so wanted to get peoples thoughts on a few things.

I'm looking to buy a MANUAL 911 somepoint next year.
I'm pretty much set on 997.2 or 991 gen 1. Will all come down to budget - which has not yet been set.

I prefer the 991 purely from a design perspective... but it's going to be a balance between buying a low mileage 997.2 vs a high mileage 991. (Down to budget more than anything)

Questions:
1. Are all 997.2 the higher tax bracket? I know it's only it much the scheme of things but just against the idea of giving an extra 300 to the gov.

2. This maybe a potential forever car... saying that - which is likely to be the better long term purchase proposition from an expense / servicing perspective? Is the 997.2 engine a more reliable proposition over the 991.

3. Which is the more reliable car out of 997.2 vs 991.

4. I'm coming from M2, noticed the 997.2 is actually slower in performance terms... anyone prefer the M2 performance wise. Obviously I'm assuming handling is superior on 911.

5. Which sounds better 997.2 or 991.

6. It'll most likely be the base model, are the S versions a significantly better.

I won't be doing any track driving (maybe the odd one track day a year), car will be used primarily be fast European road tours.

991 is an overall improvement with a better interior.
PDK in 991 is better than the older box but looks like you prefer the manual.
High mileage in a manual: Think about clutch , over revs
991 starts from year 2012 so you can expect niggles from a 10 year old car.
If you can stretch the budget, go for an S. there is a definite improvement.
Good inspection ( PPI) is a must.

The 997.2 and the 991 both use the MA1 engine and it's similarly reliable in both. I don't think it's fair to say either is less reliable overall.

You might find non-S models a bit cheaper to tax.

You might find an M2 can edge them 0-60 on a good day. Probably true of many powerful turbo cars. My 7 Series can, but it's no 911.

991 sounds better when both have the Sports exhaust. 997 catches up a bit with centre silencer replacement pipe.

A lot should be similar between both. Engine is the same derivative in both. They are both at an age where things will need replaced and you want to buy on condition rather than mileage or age.

The non-switchable exhaust in the 997.2 was one off my biggest disappointments when I bought mine. There are a bunch of options to sort that. 991.1 is meant to be better.

Other things to think about: 991 is a bit more refined and also larger. Basically everything is an option on them (even down to the basics like parking sensors, my 997.2 did not have them) - have a think about what you really want and would compromise over. I'd rather the right / well optioned car of either variant than something without the toys / things you want.

Both might feel a little bit less punchy than the turbo'd m2.

M2 Vs 911 on the road is much closer than you think and the 911 will be ahead in the bends etc due to outright grip. I have a mapped 135i as a daily, we ran it against the 996 I have on the road. Not much in it in the real world. Show them a set of fast bends the Porsche has the edge by a good margin. Don't get too hung up on performance figures on paper.
A 911 ALWAYS punches above its weight!!

Hi
I would go for a manual 991.1C2S if you can
I would also get a warranty as they can have a few issues (heater valves, dynamic engine mounts for PDCC and other minor things but still expensive)

The performance is similar (less mid range but higher top end compared to the M2) but the NA engine is fantastic especially with sports exhaust for sound and response.

The first thing you will notice is the lack of weight on the front end, monster traction out of corners and the "feel" of a sports car with low driving position

If you're planning a long term ownership I'd always advise to buy the car that suits your personal requirements the best so spec' and colour combo are very important.

With any 911 service history and current condition are more important than age or mileage but asking prices don't always reflect that meaning that some high mileage bargains can be found. If your use is likely to balance out the mileage over time then all the better.

Without knowing your budget it's difficult to advise but, if it's big enough, in your position I'd go for a 991 and hold out for an S car. Size wise, externally they are very similar but the longer wheelbase of the later car makes it much roomier inside. It's also a lot more modern.

Happy Hunting :thumbs:

Didn't realise its the same engine between the two. Noise is a very important factor... I had a significantly less powerful Z4 Coupe - but the engine use to scream and kinda miss that a bit - the M2 does sound awesome pootling around - but finding it a bit lacking in drama when properly on it.

I was even thinking of changing at an F type S Coupe with a manual (mainly down to looks / but also the noise) - but just can't bring myself to buy something thats so much slower, and lacking the dynamic sharpness of a Porsche / BMW.

I'm not really into modifying - and prefer to keep cars in OEM. Options wise - I'm not too picky - but I want the basics - heated seats a must, heated mirrors are useful. And front and reverse sensors if the 997.2 comes with them.

Budget - well I'll break the bank for the right (just not until next year). I've noticed high miler 997.2s going for around 30-35k, and thats potentially easily doable in new year for me, but kinda want to avoid that, I want to put the miles on myself.

But really if I can get a 30k miler for £40-£45k - it's defo something I can get serious about - but I guess that won't get me into a 991.

I think if I ignore the budget for now, just trying to also work out which I'll appreciate more longer term. And I will be dailying the hell out of it.

yeh saw that on PistonHeads. Absolutely stunning.

Just not ready yet until next year - especially at £45k. Feels a pretty fair price though - actually think the 991's look better than the 992s.

To be honest I bought my OG M2 thinking it'd be my forever car, but just miss having a more traditional coupe (some might say an M2 is a 2 door saloon). And I was more in the mindset of get an R8 V8 manual gen 1 if I ever sold the M2 - but just lacks any kind of practicality compared to 911s.

Still surprises me no other manufacturer does a sports coupe with 4 seats, and is still in a relatively compact form factor. Not that I will actually use the rear seats, but useful to have on rare occasions

pothole said:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back