Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help me choose my next Car

Bloody hell that's a beautiful looking car.

Everything tells me I'm better off in a 991, but the increase in size is putting me off, not that the 997 is classic Porsche like a 993 would be for example but it feels like the 997 generation was the tipping point for the 911, where it followed other cars and just got a bit chubby and big.

I'm going to go and drive a turbo in 997 and 991 guise and see what I think. Value all of your comments so far and I feel I agree about the point on the turbo being just too much for the UK - I do love a fast car the Etron GT is brutally fast as is the M3 but neither of them are a 911, I don't drive like a nob (very often) so I value the way the car makes me feel when I drive it (all the time) more than the ability to hit 100 mph faster than everyone else.

It's a tough one, perhaps I should just keep the 997 c2s it's a brilliant car...

I bought a GTS PDK Cab 6 months ago and its a belter, great spec, looks and gets a lot of admiration the lower /wider body looks great and the price was right.
Get one pal you will not be disappointed

I haven’t owned a Turbo but was interested sometime ago. It was the cost of replacement turbo’s and even spark plug changing that put me off. Is it the 997 turbo that is an engine out job to replace spark plugs? Regardless, it’s a mega job to swap them out. Also I think they’re too fast for the road and the high revving nature of water cooled Porsches makes it nigh on impossible to exploit the performance in the UK. The gearing is too long. Too much power and the lack of drama in delivering performance. Great cars though.

No - It's a £500 job every 4 years to get the spark plugs replaced but it doesn't require the engine to come out. I'm not aware of turbo longevity being an issue.

Such things do have to be considered when choosing a car but performance never comes cheap. Regarding use, in 2024 473 hp isn't crazy so surely any notion that they're too fast for the UK roads also applies to dozens of alternatives. Turbos don't make the noise of a Carrera but rest assured there's plenty of drama to be found when flooring the throttle.

Everyone to their own though. ;)

Everything tells me I'm better off in a 991, but the increase in size is putting me off ....

The perceived difference in size is an optical illusion brought about by the difference in length of the wheelbase of the two cars.

A 991 Carrera is only about 2.5" longer than a 997 and they're the same width.

Im about to go see a Gen2 997 turbo PDK... i like it, looks great, basalt black and black leather cabrio... There is one niggle it doesnt have sports chrono. But it is priced at 57k which is a fair bit lower than all the other gen 2 PDK's out there... am i going to miss the sports chrono and importantly when i come to sell it am i goign to be stuck with a car no one wants because its missing it? Any view welcome as im going to see it in an hour!

I'm currently looking at Macan GTS and found a car that has all thr options I want, except Air suspension and Sports Chrono.
Do I need it? Absolutely not on this car. Do I think it will be easier it sell, with all things being equal? Yes
You can retrofit it, buy not stopcock on thr dash

I'm currently looking at Macan GTS and found a car that has all thr options I want, except Air suspension and Sports Chrono.
Do I need it? Absolutely not on this car. Do I think it will be easier it sell, with all things being equal? Yes
You can retrofit it, buy not stopcock on thr dash
No stopcock on the dash...............what if it springs a leak then? Best carry a mop in the boot...........

• Haha
Reactions: FZP
Im about to put a deposit down on this car unless someone comes along and tells me not to.... Bits i wish it had - sports chrono and sports exhaust... everything else seems to be there - bose stereo, not a loud colour, has excellent history and has recently had a major service so no upcoming chunky costs.

It also had a Turbo replaced by porsche dealer at 17k miles which seems strange?

just got back from the seller, he has some immense cars in his stock - 458 speciale, a few GT3's inc a 992, mclarens etc

Anyway - told him im going to take the car, but ill wait 30 mins to see if anyone has any views on this...

997 Turbo never had a Sports Exhaust as an option, it was already deemed enough

Having the Turbo's replaced is fine, it mentions suspension work, just a question on what that means, as it's 14 years old so age would now be a factor

reasonable price

He showed me reciepts, he has had springs replaced on the rears, and then also said he had a vibration that he tried to figure what was causing it after changing bits like the control arms etc turns out one of the rear dampers was stuck in PASM so had a different stiffness to the other side... so not quite a full suspension refresh but some suspension work has been done...

In terms of pricing, he is offering me 26k for my 07 68k mile car which is a less than they are listed on autotrader for but the market is a bit rubbish at the moment, i dont think people are going to be getting over 30k for a C2s Manual Cab... so is probably 1/2k less than id want for mine but for a trade in seems reasonable. Plus the next PDK turbo is about 5/6k more than he is asking

other work i have seen receipts for are coolant pipes have been done and recent front discs and pads - there was a load of other reciepts as well

just text him - lower suspension arms, front control arms, rear control arms, rear shock absorbers, and a wheel alignment

He showed me reciepts, he has had springs replaced on the rears, and then also said he had a vibration that he tried to figure what was causing it after changing bits like the control arms etc turns out one of the rear dampers was stuck in PASM so had a different stiffness to the other side... so not quite a full suspension refresh but some suspension work has been done...

In terms of pricing, he is offering me 26k for my 07 68k mile car which is a less than they are listed on autotrader for but the market is a bit rubbish at the moment, i dont think people are going to be getting over 30k for a C2s Manual Cab... so is probably 1/2k less than id want for mine but for a trade in seems reasonable. Plus the next PDK turbo is about 5/6k more than he is asking

other work i have seen receipts for are coolant pipes have been done and recent front discs and pads - there was a load of other reciepts as well
reasonable trade in value
good maintenance schedule on the Turbo
sounds like the deal is there
the step up is to the Gen 2 and then to the Turbo

You should get it inspected for peace of mind, even an OPC check is fine

👆 this. It sounds like a number of the usual suspects have been sorted, butfor piece of mind, it's worth it in such a car. It might catch something that has been missed

he has an invoice from last year from RPM technic who did a full review of the car which is when he started spending money resolving the vibration he said he could feel - but i agree with you a PPI is a good idea.

im going to bite, thanks for chipping in and helping with the decision

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back