Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 c2 performance

TrevS

Trainee
Hi all

I'm currently looking at 997.2's am considering either a base carrera or carrera S. I've been mostly looking at the pdk cars and today saw that you can have sport chrono plus added to a car even if it did come originally from factory.

From what I can see that would put a base 997.2 with sport chrono at 0-62mph at 4.3secs which is as fast as a carrera S. After looking at the classifieds there definitely seems to be a price difference between base and S models and some good looking lower mileage base carreras about.

So in terms of performance does anyone know if there would be any noticable difference in performance between a base car with sport chrono plus and an S? I know that the S gets bigger brakes but given this is going to be a road car are there any other performance benefits of having the S or could a base 997.2 with the chrono plus upgrade be a really good option?

Any thoughts

Thanks

Trev

TrevS said:
Hi all

I'm currently looking at 997.2's am considering either a base carrera or carrera S. I've been mostly looking at the pdk cars and today saw that you can have sport chrono plus added to a car even if it did come originally from factory.

From what I can see that would put a base 997.2 with sport chrono at 0-62mph at 4.3secs which is as fast as a carrera S. After looking at the classifieds there definitely seems to be a price difference between base and S models and some good looking lower mileage base carreras about.

So in terms of performance does anyone know if there would be any noticable difference in performance between a base car with sport chrono plus and an S? I know that the S gets bigger brakes but given this is going to be a road car are there any other performance benefits of having the S or could a base 997.2 with the chrono plus upgrade be a really good option?

Any thoughts

Thanks

Trev

The smaller engine is sweet and powerful, but don't go by 0-60 times. Drive both and you will notice the extra torque and power of the S. Depends if that matters to you.

I loved both C2 and C2S but as others have mentioned the slug of torque in its 3.8 4000rpm onwards really noticeable. Having said that the 3.6 spins so sweetly. 3.6 for purity and maybe the 3.8 if you like making rapid progress. C2S a very quick car a to b. Forget about sport chrono etc think i've used it about 3 times in 16 years :thumb:

I've a 997.2 C2 with sport chrono plus. The chrono does make a difference in my opinion, revs higher and seems to balance better between gear changes, that said I rarely use it unless I'm hammering it!
As for performance I cannot comment for a comparison between the C2 and C2S but for me the C2 was good value. For a casual 2nd car, used on UK roads, I find it perfect.

TrevS said:
...So in terms of performance does anyone know if there would be any noticable difference in performance between a base car with sport chrono plus and an S?

Sports Chrono on PDK cars is called Sports Chrono Plus. That brings Launch Control to PDK cars, and that definitely gets you out of the hole quicker than a non-SC car. But once you've gotten traction and you're actually rolling, there isn't a difference. Both SC and non-SC cars will autoshift aggressively at the redline if your foot is to the floor, and there's no difference in HP/Torque with SC vs. non-SC cars.

Back in the day, Best Motoring (Japan) did a series of back to back drag races with different versions of 997.2 (C2, C2S, C4, C4S). All were PDK Coupes, and all equipped with Sport Chrono.

The races start at the 7m39s mark, enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3SxwjKU_es&t=7m39s

Personally... I don't think there's that much real world difference

Karl.

PS: Separate from launch control, SC on a PDK car does make it feel a lot more lively in D2D driving. If you have a PDK car (whether base or S), I'd recommend having SC (it can be added after the fact).

+1 to SC making throttle response vastly improved when engaged v not

I have the Carerra and would say it is plenty quick enough for most on road scenarios but who doesn't crave extra power once you are used to what you have. I looked at the video Karl references when I was being and as he says real world there probably isn't that much difference.

I am thinking of putting mine up for sale over the coming months. Let me know if you would like the details
2008-PDK-86k-Sport Designs-PASM-SC-H&S bypass- Gundo-recent full suspension refresh

Attachments

• screenshot_20230524_200236_gallery_183.jpg
    screenshot_20230524_200236_gallery_183.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 628
Buy a manual if you want to enjoy driving it, It will be worth far more when you come to sell as well (and sell quicker as they are sort after). I had a car with Sport Chrono fitted and rarely used it (despite specifically insisting on only buying a car with it fitted!). I've used the Sport button for better throttle response etc on all the modern 911's I've owned.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back