Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What would you buy, and why? 997.1 (£20k) or 997.2 (£40k)

Another consideration is that there are loads more Gen 1 cars to choose from as they made and sold lots more pre 2008 financial crash.

What would I buy and why?

If I was after a manual then I'd go for a 997.1 but then budget for a Hartech rebuild. I owned a .1 (C2S) before my GT3 and I loved it. However at the time I did also think that despite it being an accomplished practical everyday sports car, that it was also a little dull - too refined, too... BMW-like. It was my first 911 and I was expecting something much more raw, which is what I got when I traded it for my GT3 12 years ago

Over the years though I've often regretted selling the C2S as with hindsight it was a raw mechanical feeling 911, I just didn't know it at the time. This quality is missing from the newer 991/992 cars IMO, and maybe even from the 997.2...?

If I was after an auto though I would want PDK, which means a 997.2 by default. The .1 tip is fine, but the biggest problem with it in my view is that PDK exists. I'd find buying a tip difficult as the market wants PDK and so resale would be an issue. Which is odd, it's not really the same with BMW for example where their torque converter seems to be held in as high regard as the DCT

It seems to me that if you want a project, or a car to build into something else, with a Hartech for example, then get a 9971 manual and a garage. But if you want a 911, and you might want to sell it on some time, get the 9972. Sorry about the massive generalisation.

Obvious suggestion but it's also worth keeping an eye out for 997.1s which have already had a rebuild done, I did this and it was a decent way of saving both time and money (hartech had a pretty long lead time when I was looking). Depending on spec you should be able to do get one for ~£25-30k which leaves a decent wedge left over for any upgrades etc. Drop "rebuild" or "hartech" in on your search keywords, there's a few on pistonheads at the moment

I'd seek out a 997.1 which has been cared for and already had a Hartech rebuild. Save the rest of your cash for a rainy day/mods.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back