Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What does £40k buy you these days...........?

Is going over 190mph really that important to you? I have had my 996 turbo over 4 years and in that time have only been over 180mph twice. It is the bit I use most of the time which interests me, driveability up to 100mph is where it is at.

MC

NickHappy said:
E46 M3 CSL.

thats what I sold my 996 Turbo for :D

Not as quick in a straight line, but I find it more fun

T8 said:
:dont know: but as it's 'the last of the Mezger Turbos' I hope not. :wink:

A but it's got those horrible plain headlights.....not the uniquely stylised ones of the 996 turbo :wink:

MisterCorn said:
Is going over 190mph really that important to you? I have had my 996 turbo over 4 years and in that time have only been over 180mph twice. It is the bit I use most of the time which interests me, driveability up to 100mph is where it is at.

MC

Aye but Supercars aren't measured by their ability to get to 100mph.... They are more than that.

So to clarify, cars excluded from the running are

1) Datsun GT-R: Not a sportscar, does not look like a sportscar
2) Bentley Conti GT: Not a sports car, plus I can't stand them. 8)
3) Audi R8: Does not have 4 seats, not depreciation proof, not broadly under £40k
4) BMW M5/6: Not sports cars. Don't look like sports cars.

Actually, JD, have you rigged this so there can only be the 996 turbo which wins? There are far too many exclusion criteria :?:

]

GTR is without a doubt a great car but it does not look or is not classed as a sportscar.[/quote]

Sorry to be "picky"......but how do you categorize it?

A GT (Grand Tourer)? Would that make the 911 GTS a GT and not a sportscar?

My argument would be that it races in the same category as 911's and R8's
not in Touring Cars.

I agree that it is no "oil painting" in the looks dept. and it's dimensions are rather large (which makes it's performance even more remarkable) but so was the Jag XJ220.

The real down side to the GTR is running costs. £700 6k mile servicing and £2k for tyres (nitrogen filled of course).

I was going to add MPG, but who gives a toss about that. :grin:

Whether you class it a sports car or not , the only car under 40k that would tempt me to sell the 996tt is the GT-R . There is nothing else out there imho that can match the 911. The R8 is just way to slow !

ragpicker said:
Actually, JD, have you rigged this so there can only be the 996 turbo which wins? There are far too many exclusion criteria :?:
:grin:
For any particular car you could probably make a list of criteria for which it would be the only winner.

Shaoxter said:
ragpicker said:
For any particular car you could probably make a list of criteria for which it would be the only winner.

I need a 4x4, but one that is for the most part driven in 2wd

I need a low ratio box

I love double declutching, so a bonus if I have to do this on 1st & 2nd

I must be able to travel at upto 50 mph

petrol engine

seats 7

tax free

I want to be able to have a hard top in the winter & a canvas roof in the summer

:dont know:

hot66 said:
Shaoxter said:
ragpicker said:

I need a 4x4, but one that is for the most part driven in 2wd

I need a low ratio box

I love double declutching, so a bonus if I have to do this on 1st & 2nd

I must be able to travel at upto 50 mph

petrol engine

seats 7

tax free

I want to be able to have a hard top in the winter & a canvas roof in the summer

:dont know:

R8

TVR T350 was a consideration of mine before buying the turbo.

Ok, it may not be a 'performance' car as such but SWMBO hired me this little beauty for a day last Tuesday. Five manual gears, a cramped pedal box, no power steering, no ABS, not much suspension really either. The steering wheel, which was pretty close to your chest seemed designed to vaguely guide the car in the direction you wanted to go in and everything rattled and squeaked at some point. Performance was brisk however, and everybody who saw it smiled - some waved. People came up to us to chat wherever we parked. Do you know what? I loved it! Real and literal back to basics - the pure joy of motoring. Never thought I'd ever say that.

Attachments

• morgan_plus_four_204.jpg
    morgan_plus_four_204.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 5,373
Curiously I've found myself eyeing MX-5's for very similar reasons as you've just given as a potential third car..... :?:

Having seen what Ragpicker gas done to his 997 scaring Mini I've also been thinking that route as well. But the idea of proper soft top as you've described it sounds very good :thumb:

EDIT - damn the picture's been fixed :damn:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back