Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Exhaust finally fitted - Kline Innovation

Turbojim997

Nurburgring
Hello All,

Just got back from having my new exhaust (plus a few other bits) fitted and wanted to share the journey/experiences etc.

The story starts along the normal lines, boy wants 911 turbo, boy grows in to man, man still wants 911 turbo, gets 911 turbo, loves said car but finds noise lacking.... forums + Google = empty wallet fast.

Anwyay one of my good friends just so happened to become a Kline Innovation supplier up in Manchester and wanted a guinea pig. I was already looking to purchase one anyway, somewhere along the line I got convinced to go for the Inconel 625 system with 200 cell cats and carbon tips. Didn't go for the manifolds as simply ran out of pennies at that point.

Few photos of the exhaust:

The quality is really second to none and incredibly light (especially compared to the OEM unit)

Whilst in for it's service it was noted that the nuts on the turbo to cats/manifolds were getting heavily corroded and, whilst not causing a problem yet, I decided they would probably all snap anyway.

I steps an innocent thread on this forum offering some lovely titanium jobbies which were promptly ordered along with a new set of OEM gaskets.

The guys at VAG Manchester were extremely impressed with said fixings, one tiny comment for the turbo studs is they could be a bit shorter (5mm) as there is a fair bit of thread poking out when torqued up and the that shank area is about as big as you would want. Without putting hte washer in you might struggle to get the preload. Anyway none of this was a problem just something I will pass on to poppopbangbang.

So after a bit of heat, some gentle persuassion the old system was of and shiny new bits could go on...

Photos of studs in turbo:

Exhaust photos:

Finished:

With the exhaust now on and some fettling with the tips (oooerr), which I am not 100% happy with a shown in the picture.
(Note this is not a problem with the product more my OCD wanting them to sit exactly the same in each apature going to make some spacers just to make sure).

It was time for a test run. Obviously car started first turn of the key, and to my surprise the sound was very similar to stock just a touch louder. With the engine warmed up it was time for a little rev to see how she sounded higher up the revs, again nice without being too much.(see video below):

Now it was time for a road test so off to Mancheter airport tunnels for a few spirit runs up the gears (1 & 2). What a difference under load!! amazing when the revs hit 3,000+ its turns in to a lovely high end rasp with the sound of the turbos coming through too (see video below):

The difference in spool up was very noticable and general response in normal mode was something more akin to sport mode without the overly sensitive throttle if that makes sense?

Then we went of for some cruising runs to see if any drones/weird noise appear. Nothing, whilst louder it was never intrusive and when cruising anywhere at 50-80ish there was no impact on the ability to hear the passenger or the radio (which seems to now be defunct as I would prefer to hear the car!!).

Overall one very happy boy as the car now sounds as it should and any performance benefit is greatly appreciated although this was not my reason for the swap.

Whilst the car was up on the ramp I took the chance to clean inside the wheels, around the calipers and fit some spacers (7mm f & 15mm r). The guide pins make things a lot easier especially with the rears as they can be a bit cumbersome.

Car was also due its MOT and so we were all extremly surprised at the results of the emissions test:

Anyway just wanted to share my experience and whilst the owner of VAG Manchester is a friend I can honestly say I would be happy to let him work on my car at anytime. I drove all the way from Dorset to let him do it.

Drive home was epic fun and whilst the noise does get addictive my overall MPG only dropped by a couple. Not sure if this is through more throttle than normal to hear the new exhaust or just the bit extra power the car is producing. Either way nothing to be concerned about.

All in all a massive :thumbs: to the guys at VAG Manchester and if you are local give them a shout as they have all the diagnostic kit to carry out the most elements of work.

Cheers for reading....

I am torn between the Kline and the Europipe. Will give you mate a shout when I decide to take the plunge!

similar thing for me but after speaking to Felix I just got a good feeling.

I know a couple of others on here have the stainless version and are very happy with them too

Great write up thanks! I'm eagerly awaiting my Kline stainless full system with manifolds, decat with 100 cell cat thingies. Oh, and carbon tips.
I may not fit it for a while as it'll void my OPC warranty of which I have about 18 months left.
I, like you, bought an excellent set of Ti studs from poppopbangbang. I want to get the underside of my car as shiney as the top side and a full quality system is a good start! Can't decide when to start my 'project' due to warranty clash. A bit of a problem but a good problem...

Sounds great Jim mate, look forward to hearing it tonight. the extra fuel use will be as you say holding it longer in the gears to hear the exhaust note up through the rev range much better than music :grin: :thumb:

Norfolk & Idea said:
Great write up thanks! I'm eagerly awaiting my Kline stainless full system with manifolds, decat with 100 cell cat thingies. Oh, and carbon tips.
I may not fit it for a while as it'll void my OPC warranty of which I have about 18 months left.
I, like you, bought an excellent set of Ti studs from poppopbangbang. I want to get the underside of my car as shiney as the top side and a full quality system is a good start! Can't decide when to start my 'project' due to warranty clash. A bit of a problem but a good problem...

Good skills, just couldn't quite stretch to the manifolds too as I am looking at putting a handling package together which includes wheels and tyres too.

Once you have it fitted you will totally forget about your OPC warranty but I do understand whilst you have it especially so long left on it.

The exhaust fixings were so badly corroded on mine I was worried about it coming apart so worth doing now for me.

Look forward to seeing the results of yours

Turbojim997 said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

Good skills, just couldn't quite stretch to the manifolds too as I am looking at putting a handling package together which includes wheels and tyres too.

Once you have it fitted you will totally forget about your OPC warranty but I do understand whilst you have it especially so long left on it.

The exhaust fixings were so badly corroded on mine I was worried about it coming apart so worth doing now for me.

I've got a few quid spare at the moment (but this is definitely not always the case!) so I'm stocking up on 'project' goodies for when I decide to go for it.
I'm not too concerned about loads more poke, it's way quick enough standard but a bit more midrange and sweet exhaust note will be nice.
Despite mine being a 2012 I've noticed the stud nuts corroded so I'll be changing the lot out. I'll renew the heat shields too but this is purely aesthetics to blend in with all the lovely new shineyness from Kline!

Turbojim997 said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

I've got a few quid spare at the moment (but this is definitely not always the case!) so I'm stocking up on 'project' goodies for when I decide to go for it.
I'm not too concerned about loads more poke, it's way quick enough standard but a bit more midrange and sweet exhaust note will be nice.
Despite mine being a 2012 I've noticed the stud nuts corroded so I'll be changing the lot out. I'll renew the heat shields too but this is purely aesthetics to blend in with all the lovely new shineyness from Kline!

My heat shields were in remarkably good condition for a 2008 car.

I was the same re: performance. It was just a nice side benefit of a free flowing exhaust :thumb:

Norfolk & Idea said:

Warrenty will be fine with just an exhaust, live life, get it on :)

Exhaust sounds great bud... a lot quieter than i was expecting though but 100% looks and sounds much better than standard :)

AdeD said:
Exhaust sounds great bud... a lot quieter than i was expecting though but 100% looks and sounds much better than standard :)

The videos really don't do the sound justice (especially when filmed on an iphone).

I didn't want to go too mad as I do a lot of long journeys in the car with my daughter and don't want to ruin her hearing quite yet.

Apparently the decat version is much louder

Turbojim997 said:
The videos really don't do the sound justice (especially when filmed on an iphone).

I didn't want to go too mad as I do a lot of long journeys in the car with my daughter and don't want to ruin her hearing quite yet.

Apparently the decat version is much louder

Will be good to hear it in the flesh... We're bound to meet up sometime in the summer :)

AdeD said:
Warrenty will be fine with just an exhaust, live life, get it on :)

Not according to my OPC. I asked them yesterday. Fitting a new system and remap will pretty much compromise the whole drive train comprising engine, PDK and all running gear. Basically all the meaty stuff that we worry about going 'pop'.

Jim, After hearing your exhaust in the flesh on Wednesday evening I have to say it sounds much better than on the vid which sounded good anyway.
nice rumble on tickover and kinhell on fast pull away, dam that cars fast mate
the turbos normally sound rubbish but yours now sounds like a Porsche sports car should sound and not offensively OTT . nice job mate :thumb: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geoff993
Back