Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlight advice 997 turbo

Turbobairn

Hello all,

I have recently been carrying out some tidy up jobs on my 997.1 turbo while it's off the road for the most part in the winter months.

Had the drivers side headlight unit out the other day to see why it was sitting slightly out of alignment with the top of the wing.
The mounting base plate which the headlight sits on and locks into all appears to be in good condition however I noticed that the lens on the headlight seems a bit deformed at the top edge. Almost as if someone has replaced the lens at some stage and then damaged it whilst reinstalling.

Anyone had any experience with replacing the lens part of the headlight? Any advice on how to rectify ie new lens or a full new unit? Obviously the latter option is a bit pricey but my ocd with my cars is driving to do something about it.

I've added a couple of photos to hopefully show what I am talking about.

IMG_2238.png
IMG_2235.jpeg

Any advice welcome, no rush.

Thanks

I've seen a few people on facebook groups use new eBay lenses and they look great. I guess you would have to heat the original lens to remove the glue and the re-seal. Got to be worth a try before buying new headlights

Absolutely worth a try. Any idea what ones people are using as there seems to be a few out there?

For the replacement lense or the glue to put them back on??

noting you’ll need something like this as well.

7100000_mmm_08612_pri_larg.jpg

The lenses that I’ve seen all seem to originate from China, since OEM is a complete unit, the DIY route will need an aftermarket lookalike

Wonder how close to oem they look
I have seen one of these up close and personal and looks OEM, it’s just plastic

For the cost, it’s worth a punt

Plastic Lens from OEM use a hardcoat on the surface to protect against UV damage. If you buy replacement be sure to have this checked and add the coating if required.

I know I'm a bit late to this but surely you just need to adjust the rear adjuster of the mounting tray? I'm fairly sure they can be adjusted to line the lamps up with the wings. Apologies if I am wrong but I have always assumed the large hex heads are adjusters.

Hi mate, yeah it's the first thing I looked at when I removed the headlight. There is a bit of adjustment on the mounting plate, bit fiddly but it could come up potentially. Have you had any experience with adjusting these?

I thought maybe the headlight has had a new lense fitted poorly due to what looked like internal damage shown in the second photo, almost as if someone has leaned on it or pressed that top edge too hard? Unless this occurs naturally in older headlights? The lense itself doesn't seem to have any blemishes or stone chips which would say the lense isn't that old??
Ultimately one of these niggly little jobs that I want to get right to get the front end looking perfect.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back