Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car for sale - getting lots of questions about not having sports exhaust

Just to add to my earlier post. I checked my 997 brochure and sports chrono did not include PSE, so my guess is OP you have sports chrono but not PSE. I have to say, any serious 997 buyer would know this already. 1000011380.jpg

At the end of the day if someone is getting hung up on what exhaust you have they probably aren't that serious about buying it as there are a lot more important things to consider. A sports exhaust can always be retrofitted.
Believe me exhausts attract a lot of interest. When I owned my Balmoral Green Range Rover I was inundated with questions regarding the size of exhaust tips 🤐

Thanks for the replies. Lots of confirmations that sports chrono did not have a separate PSE button. The question remains on what exhaust I have - I know it gets louder when I press the sport button and I can see it has the valves on the exhaust, but is it genuine Porsche if it’s missing the one big/one small tail pipe?

Where would I find the Porsche stamp on the exhaust?

Here it is 18 months ago, best photo I have of the exhaust for now.IMG_2860.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2861.jpeg
    IMG_2861.jpeg
    655.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so no XLF code in my book. The PSE has twin pipes going into the tail pipe trim whereas mine only has 1 pipe going into the trim. I'll get under it when it stops raining

The second picture shows just a "normal" exhaust, a valved (PSE or aftermarket) exhaust should have 3 pipes into the silencer.

There's a "bypass" pipe, which is actuated by the vacuum pipes - excuse the amazing photoshop skills, but red is the "normal" route, green is the extra pipe you should see, with the green being the bypass route for more noise, and yellow being some sort of actuator with a vacuum line heading off to the engine bay.

That it get's louder when you press the sport button, it should be markedly different, and not just a change in throttle...

Edit to add, the picture of the TopGear one is similar to all of them https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-911-997-1-carrera-valved-cat-back so may highlight better than below ;)

1706003375013.png

If you have a PSE you have 2 pipes going to the tail pipe. Normal exhaust or aftermarket ones have one pipe

Your exhaust doesn't have valves on it. Refer to the picture I posted on page 1,this is what you would see on the back of the rear silencer.

If it's got two pipes per side and you can see the valves.....I still think it's factory PSE operated with the Sport button and without a separate PSE button.

I had a gen.1 997 Carrera S with PSE and Sport chrono and the car had buttons for both separately. Can't speak for the Sport Chrono+

I do believe the exhaust tips on the car pictured are the non-PSE sports tips. I think the reason people are talking about the exhaust tips is because it's a way to identify which options any car has. I do this all the time when looking at cars for sale, looking at various things on the car to determine which options it was fitted with.

Best way to confirm you have PSE would be to go under the car and look for the valves that switch the exhaust on an off. If they are not present, you don't have OEM PSE.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back