Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Flat battery - bonnet will not lift up

Luke444

Hi Guys

Need some help.

I have a 911 Turbo (997) 2008, owned for 7 years.

My battery is flat due to standing for 6 weeks, lockdown.

I cannot get the bonnet lid up and have connected my battery charger to the pull out positive terminal in the fuse box and earth to the door hinge.

When I switch on the charger the key ignition disengages but the needle on the charger does not budge or even flicker as though no circuit is formed enough to engage to raise the lid.

The charger is fully working and functional as I charged another vehicle here and even when I connected it to the other vehicle the needle on the changer flutters and goes up and down when I raise the current from trickle to booster but when connect to my Porsche nothing as though there is a break in the circuit, only guessing???

There is a spark at the hinge when I move the dog clip. I have tried it several times, last week and now, left it on for a long time too. Nothing?

The cigarette lighter fuse blew a few months back due to dashcam socket plug issue that came apart in the cigarette socket but I was still driving without any problems, I did swap over a fuse just now as that was the only thing I could think of that has changed. Could this be a fuse issue?

I did have a flat battery 4 years ago on this car and as soon as I connected the charger then to this pull out terminal the bonnet lid lifted immediately so I have done this successfully before when I had a flat battery.

I have spent thousands on this car since I owned it and am looking to put it up for sale but don't want to call the Porsche guys unless I have to as I really don't want to spend any more on it. I don't think calling out the AA will help, will it? Won't they just do what I have tried?

Any ideas what this may be or where I could be going wrong? Getting lost with this now.

What are the alternatives? Can I locate the cable underneath and manually pull it with my hand, can this be accessed?

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

Luke
Birmingham

Hopefully the above link will help you.

I don't think using a battery charger will work. afaik You will need an actual battery to provide the power to the red connector in the fuse box. When the connection is made the bonnet pops up as soon as you pull the release button.

Just use a donor battery and connect as you have tried, or buy a booster from halfrauds / amazon - https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...d-lithium-jump-starter---up-to-2l-677444.html

On most models, there is also a mechanical emergency hood release lever. It is located in the front passenger-side wheel well. It will require wheel removal and front wheel well cover removal to locate (very easy job), but this may not be a viable option depending on the situation i.e. if you have locking wheel nuts and the master is in the boot!

Attachments

• 46110_153.jpg
    46110_153.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,376
If you don't have a battery, try jump leads from another car (with the engine off so it's only 12V).

I thought you needed a battery charge which has a 'supply" mode, not all do :?: ......if you've done it with that charger before did you put it into a supply mode first and forgotten :dont know:

Thanx guys, that is ace feedback from all of you. I remember now I did use a hand held charger/portable baterry pack 4 years back and it opened. I will give this a go. :thumbs:

Luke444 said:
Thanx guys, that is ace feedback from all of you. I remember now I did use a hand held charger/portable baterry pack 4 years back and it opened. I will give this a go. :thumbs:

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back