Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

981 Alternator Disconnect from Battery

pabloification

Hi - battery drain woes continue. I've tested every fuse whilst the car is asleep (the two in the footwells and one in rear boot) and no dice. Tried disconnecting the direct battery connection to the fans on the positive terminal, no dice.

My focus/suspicions are now turning to the alternator, maybe a bad diode.

My question is - how can I disconnect alternator from the battery circuit without going into the engine bay via the top? The wiring diagram shows it bypasses all the fuse boxes on a separate branch with the starter. I'm hoping for a connector I can quickly unplug and see if the drain stops...

If this fails it could be a bad ground/corrosion which would be a nightmare to try and find...

Thanks in advance!
George

Thanks but was after a way to test without going into the engine bay. I was hoping to be able to stick an amp clamp around the wiring going from battery to alternator in the front bonnet/behind a carpet.

To anyone who may be interested - my issue was the aftermarket exhaust controller. Because the car didn't originally have the Porsche sports exhaust system a separate controller needed wiring in and the garage that did it under the previous owner wired it to the permanent live vs the ignition live.

This caused drain all the time - why you would choose to wire something that only works with the engine running to a permanent live is beyond me, but would recommend that as a place to start if all else failed.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back