Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help Pls - Flat Battery and cant open bonnet

911DG

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi Guys

Need some urgent help please. I've tried puling out the bonnet Fuse by the peddles and connecting to a jump starter pack, but no joy.

Any ideas please - i cant open the bonnet to get to the battery.....

Thanks so much.

Cheers

Dan :dont know: :dont know:

A jump pack won't do it.

Do you have another battery you could try with?

Otherwise it is the cable under the wheel arch which is a massive pain

All I can add is, make sure you have a good ground wire connected

Good luck :thumb:

Ah ok - I do in the wife's car - but no Jump leads but im sure i can borrow some.

SO connect those to the Amp/fuse and the metal Door bracket?

Thanks !!!

Yes, just make sure you do + to + and - to -. I had the same problem last year and just parked my scooter up near my car, got some old speaker cable (handy as it's 2 separate wires joined together), hooked one end up to the scooter and other end up to door lock bracket and fuse box. Worked a treat.

You could also use a laptop charger or similar so long as it's somewhere between 12v - 14v.

Nice one. Ive ordered some Jump leads to be delivered tomorrow am so will wait for them and hook em up to the Discovery - ''hopefully' it'll be ok.

The gold metal connection plates on the Fuse seem very small (1cm each ish) but hopefully thats enough...

So long as you have the negative side clamped to an earth point on the car, you just need to make contact with the positive and pull the bonnet release switch as soon as. Shocked me how easy it was to do when I did mine.

It doesnt help right now but its possible to run a cable from the battery to under the front scuttle panel (the plastic below the windscreen) and use the removable corner bit to gain access. I have a ctek connector on mine so I can keep the battery topped up but it could also be used to recover from a dead battery, see here

Hi gents

Quick update - Leads on and connected. Small sparks and something happened as the Power lock came off and it let me have my Key Back at least.
BUIT not enough power yet to Pop the hood it seems - Hood and Boot switches not working

Any advice - IF i leave the leads connected and running for a while will it Trickle some power in???

Thanks

Dan :nooo:

Or, what are the other options? Thanks guys

Use the release on the key.

Also try opening the engine cover at the back. Once that's open there's some jumping posts in the engine bay.

No Jump posts in engine bay on the 997.

You need to use the key to open the bonnet once the tab in the fusebox is connected.

Just gone through this myself after my 997T has sat unused for 5 months...

Battery not just flat, absolutely dead (not surprising really). I got into the car using the door lock, put key in ignition and nothing. Key then stuck in ignition.
I used the spare key to re-lock until I did a little Googling.

I have a Ctek with cigarette lighter adapter - nothing, wouldn't take a charge, Ctek didn't even recognise a battery connected.
I have an old battery in the garage so charged that overnight.

On the ignition barrel there's a small plastic section that clips off revealing three holes - a pen or paperclip pressed in the centre hole releases the key.
Fuse box cover off, red terminal pulled out and attached jump cables from this to + on old battery. Negative from spare battery to door hinge. Bonnet and tail buttons wouldn't work but a two second press of the bonnet release on the KEY FOB worked immediately.

Tried charging the dead battery overnight but it's totally goosed - here's a friendly warning - when replacing the car battery with a good battery be ready with the key fob when finally connecting the negative termenial as the alarm WILL sound just as you're bent over, you WILL jump and you WILL head but the bonnet.
Luckily, the lump is on the back of my head rather than the bonnet...

997.2 and 997.1 differ.

Alarm has never gone off on our 997.2 when fitting a new battery.

997.1 has the points under the engine cover to attach power.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back