Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Back in business.

:grin: Ben that it a nice look mate make the face look very sharp and crisp. I have just found a guy local to me that has the machines to diamond cut during the refurb of wheels, I am seriously considering this with anthrasite over the rest. but will have to wait until I curb them again :hand: :thumb:

Phil .. im probably wrong but i think diamond cut only works if the face to be cut is straight .. from your picts it looks like you have a curve on the spokes .

Personnely i prefer them as they are .. looks great to me and ive seen a few wheels :)

I do remember though that you cant recut the Porsche wheels very much .. depending on the damage about twice was max.

Diamond cuts are good for a couple of refurb's at best (depending on the extent of the damage).

Demort said:
Phil .. im probably wrong but i think diamond cut only works if the face to be cut is straight .. from your picts it looks like you have a curve on the spokes .

Personnely i prefer them as they are .. looks great to me and ive seen a few wheels :)

I do remember though that you cant recut the Porsche wheels very much .. depending on the damage about twice was max.

Ah thanks Iain, Well that makes it an easy call I will stay with how they are, I actually do like them how they are as well, just thought it might be a change but no matter. And no good if I could only refub twice, I curb them several times a year and get them refurbed . :eek: need to stop looking at cuties while parking :thumb: :grin:

I've read this particular thread with interest leading me to post for the first time on here after lurking for a while.

Having owned a Leon Cupra 280 in 2014 before moving to a much more sensible 1.6 diesel for my 80 mile daily commute, when deciding I wanted to end my days on two wheels and own a four wheeled icon instead I thought 295 - 320 bhp would be the minimum I would need to enjoy my speed thrills.

The fact that the OP seems to be very happy with his 2.7 has got me thinking.

My only concern with any Gen 1 car is the IMS issue I've read about. Is this like bore scoring - vastly rarer than the forums and Internet suggest?

Kimbo - a couple of months on have you had any pangs for more horses under the hood at all?

Welcome MOz.

Funnily enough, the only time I wished for more horses was yesterday when I was being tailed by a VW Golf (not an R).

The chap had been following me very close through 30 and 40mph limits, for no reason at all, and it got tedious after a while.

I put my foot down when we hit an open stretch of dual carriageway and couldn't shake him off, and he remained on my back bumper for the next 10 miles until i turned off in our village for home. Utter knob. I just don't get it.

So yes, the S version might have been handy yesterday.

I've found a red Cayman can be like red rag to a bull to some drivers. I don't know what it is, but some people are desperate to overtake, all the time in their silver Vauxhall Insignias, Audis, Mazda 6's. Not forgetting Sprinter vans which seem to have unlimited power.

In everyday driving the 2.7 is plenty quick enough with ample torque from the 6-speed box. But in situations like yesterday I really needed a 911 Turbo.

I don't get it either, but when the knob situation happens to me, I've taken to slowing right down, moving to towards the middle of the road and be as difficult to overtake as possible :grin:

Normally, being a grown up, I'd do all that too. But I had felt pushed around by this impatient Oik and there was a long clear safe stretch of open road so I thought I'd leave him in my dust.

Didn't work :D

MJA - I like your thinking :thumb:

MOz said:
My only concern with any Gen 1 car is the IMS issue I've read about. Is this like bore scoring - vastly rarer than the forums and Internet suggest?

Not exactly. Personally, I'd say the bore scoring problem on certain M97 engines is at least as bad as the 'internet' suggests, maybe even worse.

Thje IMS problem, on the other hand, was never that bad and, what's more, all 987.1 Caymans have the final big bearing, which really isn't something anyone need worry about. They hardly ever fail.

The 2.7 is not know to score much, either. So I personally reckon a 2.7 like Kimbos is a nice, solid choice.

I bought my 3.4 with a long term view and I am currently considering swapping it for a 2.7. It's fine at the moment and thus saleable. I need to make a decision soon but I am increasingly feeling like I should get out while the going is good.

Welcome to try mine if you're ever down East Sussex way.

It's always parked outside the house.

Thanks. I had the bores sniffed by Hartech last week and it turns out they are in good nick, so I think I'll hang onto to it now. I think with known good bores on my car and no existing faults / knowing exactly what state my car is in, swapping to what would be essentially an unknown 2.7 would if anything be riskier than keeping mine, if that makes sense.

But I wouldn't mind seeing your 'ambers' in the metal at some point. My parents live near Chichester, how far is that from you?

Still can't get a decent sound on the move.

Chichester is an hour and a half away - too far to see a pair of lights!

it sounds bloody good, a customer of mine who I saw today has a black cayman s on the drive, been eyeing it up all day, its definitely nice, but I do like 2 plus 2.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back