Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does 911 love conquer all (aka how bad is the standard 997 plastic dash)?

My 997 had covered 82,000 when I purchased it. It had a little “Patina” but looking past those issues it was a sound car and over time I have sorted it. Definitely a keeper, PPI is a mustIMG_5788.jpeg

Go for it following a quick check with Baz or Grant into the authenticity of the documentation
Enjoy !

Hoping to view on Friday. Karl - your car is spectacular. Cakes look good too!

In contrast keeping my eye on this.

Also has had rebuild, ad doesn’t say by who. This though is an S, 19s, lower miles, full leather, looks mint. Worth the extra £5k? I actually quite fancy the smaller wheeled simplicity of the 3.6, would like a softer ride and probably prefer black to ocean blue interior (although do like both). The base car also has Sports Chrono but not sure I need it although do love the sports steering wheel.

Which is the better bet? My gut still says the first car, even if signs suggest it may have once been owned by someone of Rik Waller’s physique (which seller says explains bolster wear).

Go for it following a quick check with Baz or Grant into the authenticity of the documentation
Enjoy !
Good shout. Baz and Grant will be able to double check if you have the VIN. Worth doing as you do very occasionally hear stories of fake Hartech receipts doing the rounds.

Hoping to view on Friday. Karl - your car is spectacular. Cakes look good too!

In contrast keeping my eye on this.

Also has had rebuild, ad doesn’t say by who. This though is an S, 19s, lower miles, full leather, looks mint. Worth the extra £5k? I actually quite fancy the smaller wheeled simplicity of the 3.6, would like a softer ride and probably prefer black to ocean blue interior (although do like both). The base car also has Sports Chrono but not sure I need it although do love the sports steering wheel.

Which is the better bet? My gut still says the first car, even if signs suggest it may have once been owned by someone of Rik Waller’s physique (which seller says explains bolster wear).
Check on the rebuild. Not all rebuilds are the same given different levels of work done and different liners, etc. I asked this same question a couple of years back when looking for a rebuilt car.

isn't the standard dash that artificial leatherette material ?

Reactions: FZP
I don't think a leather dash is a deal breaker on a 911. It's a nice-to-have unless you live in a hot country where it'll suffer.

The Ocean Blue is very dark, people simply don't actually notice the colour until I tell them the car's white over blue.

Thanks MaxA - I think I'm okay with the plastic dash and optimisitic overall about the car, which I am due to see in about 5 hours' time. That's understatement of the year, I'm as excitied as a young lad on Christmas Eve!

(The harder task I am currently facing is persuading Mrs Langers that we need another potentially high maintenance car in our life. My pleas that it is not about "need'' are not working. Any tips to navitage this hardest of hurdles always greatly appreciated.)

(The harder task I am currently facing is persuading Mrs Langers that we need another potentially high maintenance car in our life. My pleas that it is not about "need'' are not working. Any tips to navitage this hardest of hurdles always greatly appreciated.)
Hope this afternoon goes well. Easier to ask forgiveness than for permission...

I have two small kids and I sold it to my wife as buying a 'small, well built German 4 seater family car'. You could also throw in the old 'future classic' and talk a bit about the appreciating prices of 964s, 993s....

Seeking forgiveness is easier than seeking permission

Just do it, regret it afterwards. Once purchased wifey can hardly argue. I was fortunate, after 23 years of dull German diesel saloons whilst the kids grew up, the wife let me off the leash. Plus, she liked the car and likes driving it even more! Go for it, we only get one life

Yes good advice about the way to handle this with Management. I got her blessing yesterday, albeit a reluctant and somewhat cynical one.

I also viewed the car yesterday. Overall lovely but interior felt very tired, which would have been okay but… the leatherette rear bench had split, mats were frayed and plastics were badly scratched. The Carrera kick plates looked like a used can of beans and the plastic dash in average condition just made it an univiting place to be. His 996 next to it in contrast looked far more appealing with its unpopular interior looking spiffy clad in full leather. My old 2.5 Boxster interior was a much nicer place to be than inside this car.

Interiors can be quite hard to make good, unlike bodywork and wheels (which were kerbed) that can mostly easily be sorted by straightforward respraying.

In summary: I’d rather pay more for a car with a cared-for interior, and I think my 997 love is indeed conditional on full leather (or at least very well cared for plastic). Shallow? Maybe, but I’m at the stage of life where I’d like a bit of luxury.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back