Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Just another values vid...

Luddite

Indianapolis
II do not think there are a lot of surprises in this vid as it more deals with the GT`s and the more expensive 911 derivatives over the years which perhaps relates more to the folks who are really into it in terms of financial returns...? I stuck with the vid and it did get interesting for ME, at circa 10:23mins in when the presenter suggested that the Early 911`s (long bonnet) were likely to loose their market value in time, for reasons that I have thought seemed entirely logical for quite a number of years now..? Either I missed it or he failed to mention the 356.... Though I suspect all it takes to alter values is to find a few recent movies being turned out where early 911`s feature to the degree that one or two popular modern "stars" are seen to use one such as their choice of transport...?

Being an old geezer myself I well understand that younger generations over a few decades were ever likely to adopt their own automotive icons which might differ from those of my Baby Boomer generation. If you have watched the TV show Bangers and Cash, you might note that most of the vehicles being picked up are from widows or older guys who`s pensions likely may no longer cover costs, or might have difficulties maintaining or even driving their vehicles, and who`s garages look a bit like mine with a degree of memorabilia and tools gathering dust filling the place.....Then there is the auction room scene where there rarely if ever seems to be any young folk present, let alone making bids, the majority of attendees seem to be 50+ as a minimum...?

OK so the 911 is an icon compared with a Triumph Stag, though perhaps not a whole lot different from an E Type, and there was one episode I watched where the "E" did not sell, I suspect as may often be the case the owner`s imagined value was not met at auction...?

When I was struggling with making the decision on whether air or water cooled, in my planned return to Porsche ownership, there were a few factors of old VS newer models which caused me to end up with a 991.1, as opposed to the air cooled I was so fond of back in time, though that Porsche seemed to suggest that no air cooled was suited to run on E10, kinda tipped my thinking towards the water cooled generation.....

In truth although the 991 looks the business with more pleasing curves than my old SC had , my thinking from the outset that was that the SC was quite a bit more of a raw sports car experience and thus demanded more driver input and equally provided more returns by way of sports car driver satisfaction at much lower speeds, I think that my 991 is PDK kinda emphasises that a bit too..... Though I may be suffering nostalgia overload at times...(-:

Oh the vid link... (-: 10min 23 sec in for the chat on early 911 future valuations if that is your interest..

Semi related I was will a chap yesturday who has the best car history of anyone I have ever met. His bias over the last 20 years has been towards both top end luxury and super cars (phantoms and Buggatti not being his most expensive cars). He was / is one of those special VIP customers that Ferrari / Buggati invite to special events all over the world and first dibs on special models..........He is now of an age where supercars no longer interest him and he has started to get nostalgic. He picked up several "classics" last year including Ferraris of the mint collectors variety. He sold them all within 12 months bar one car. The reason is they where shite to drive :ROFLMAO:.......his memory of them when they where new and the reality of how they actually drive now was shocking to him, he knew during the first drives of each he would not be keeping them, he has now given up on classic supercars. The one car he has kept is a 993 C2S. I asked him why he kept it and he said for 2 reasons. He never actually owned one back when they where new, whereas he had all the others but the main reason was he just liked it. It was the one classic he had bought which still felt like quality. It is a nice example with the rare (for a 2S) full leather interior. He said he just sat in it and smelt the leather and oil and said yes this is the one I'm keeping. He knows I have a 993 which is why he told me the story. An interesting guy to talk to and it has no real relevance to this thread :ROFLMAO:

I have not watched the video as I have my own opinions on market values. With regard to classics the big 3 mainstream (Ferrari, Lambo and Porsche) will only rise in value over the medium / long term. Yes things will change, some of which cannot be predicted but the thing that drives their intrinsic value will always be rarity and desire. If cars where banned completely and they where unable to be driven a classic porsche would still rise in value. The only question is not how wide the air / water cooled gap will get but how quickly (special model excepted). The main factor that will always drive that is pure rarity, there will always be more water cooled cars to choose from.

The video in question, more nonsense from another nonsense presenter. Where is Brucie play your cards right when you need him?

Jonttt hanks for taking the time to create such an interesting semi related reply (-: I feel fortunate to have meet and send time with a few folk who had collections of cars, one such had a 1950`s Testarossa in his collection. Quite a few decades back when I asked him which of his cars might be his favourite, he was kind enough to give the question some thought, as I remember it it seemed he picked out the Testarossa as an example, saying " if in the frame of mind to select it, I would contact my mechanic, who would put the sump heater under the car to pre-warm the oil prior to firing it up, but in trying to answer your question the keys that are kept in the bowl beside the hat stand in the hall are those of my 2.7 RS, I just jump in turn the key and go. "

Jonttt, I guess everything is relative is it not... (-: In that the chap I typed of was perhaps not seeking the same degree of modern comforts as the chap you mentioned..? My only claim to fame is that I was apparently the first private individual in the UK to drive the then new 993 at it`s launch at Cameron House on the shores of Loch Lomond..... I thought it a wonderful machine in so many ways, and definitely more suited to the city set than the circa 100k mile SC I was running at the time as a fun sports car..

As for the way the market might value any vehicle, I find no fault in your thinking, though I suspect in general I suspect the 2.7 RS although perhaps not..err...refined enough for your acquaintance , might be more valued than most 993`s in the marketplace, and when in traffic, if one has to get through it to then find a bit of free and clear Tarmac, then perhaps the later water cooled cars with PDK might be thought to be ideal

As for an extreme example relative to the ways the priorities of car enthusiasts/investors might value machinery.... I think I may have posted the one below in the past for comparison purposes...?

As ever each to his own..... Me..? I still have my old open top V8 crate sitting in the garage taxed, MOT`d and ever ready to go, a bit of rough for sure. (-:

Whoever determined that variety is the spice of life, seemed to hit the nail on the head... ? (-:

Otto.... correction... in the vid the price was supposedly £35k and also from the vid the estimated value at the time was £40 mil.... As for usage it seems nick recons to uses it in traffic without issue, and used it as a wedding car for his daughters......For sure we all have our own priorities.... :)

The video in question, more nonsense from another nonsense presenter. Where is Brucie play your cards right when you need him?
I don't think he's the worst of the breed, but there's a lot of inconsistent nonsense in this. Seems like he's made a video for the sake of making a video, keeping his channel active I guess.

Otto.... correction... in the vid the price was supposedly £35k and also from the vid the estimated value at the time was £40 mil.... As for usage it seems nick recons to uses it in traffic without issue, and used it as a wedding car for his daughters......For sure we all have our own priorities.... :)

I can confirm the GTO gets used on the road. I was on my way to the tip a couple of years ago, when I saw these travelling in the other direction

gto-daytona.jpg

I recognised the GTO from the numberplate and did a little internet research when I got home about the Daytona, which is a competition model. I later found out they were on their way to a car show. You have to admire the fact he didn't think it necessary to use a transporter.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back