Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Taycan Depreciation, EV thinking update vid.

Norway is roughly the same size as the UK with less than a tenth of the population and over double the GDP.per capita .So they should be able run out Champagne powered personal helicopters if they wanted to ( a slight exaggeration ) the biggest thing is they aren’t petrol heads more petrol suppliers . Where as a USA UK and some of Europeans are .Just my pretty pathetic opinion. For my two pence worth plug in cars are the Betamax of this EV starting point. What’s to come I think will be interesting . As for Elon, come on folks he burns more chemicals than most owners around the globe ( unless your a flat earther 😊)
Disclaimer
This post was not to cause any offence to any individual real or fiction , gender or religion .
End of communication .
Hugey out .
👍

Thanks for taking the time to contribute your EV thinking Hugy.

If a large percentage of the seemingly wealthy Norwegians chose EV as their preferred transportation device, the logical question would seem to be why...?

I think most of the answers to the majority of the questions relative to EV adoption in Norway may be contained in the vid.. ?

Each to their own. (y) :)

Easy to why
They have massive incentives though that won’t last as we all know
Remember when diesels were given benefits from the Gov .ppphhhfffttttttt, anywho let’s see how it pans out.

Yeah it seems we may agree Hugey, for sure it does in fact seem easy to see why Norwegians seem to be keen on EV if one watches the vid... ?

As for diesels, I well remember when they were dirty noisy smelly slow to accelerate things, it seems diesel evolved to quite some degree over a few decades, having not done so for many decades previously... I suspect EV might follow suit to some degree, or not, one thing is for sure if there is financial advantage to be gained then the speed of evolution may well pick up..Given the current UK govts "U" turns and internal wranglings, I doubt EV will be any part of their current thinking..No pun intended.. (-:

BTW, I am not promoting EV, just sharing my experiences and search for unbiased information from a middle ground standpoint.

I Agree and I haven’t disagreed with you either .
I don’t mind what they bring in and I’m not an EV hater either in fact if I only went shopping back and fore to work etc I think EVs are brilliant but I do have range angst with the infrastructure we have especially in remote areas.

Still wandering the web looking for EV education and found this vid which may be of interest to those with a chemical understanding and perhaps more importantly as to the possible future relative to present EV concerns as already discussed in this thread. The chemical/battery/ EV fan seems to really know his stuff but also answers the less than technical questions that most folk with any interest in EV as a form of transport might ask :-

The evolution of battery technology relative to range, also the apparent reality of battery fires, battery longevity, Insurance cost and predicted evolution thereof, and of course market value alteration in the passage of time. The vid is circa 40 mins long, but covers a fair bit of ground in detail. Should you think to watch it jump past the first minute to avoid all the usual intro stuff...

If you do watch it and think he may be predicting matters better than Mystic Meg, perhaps you might be encouraged to think that a pre owned Taycan may be quite a bargain right at the moment...?

whilst these are all clip bait videos

we seem to live in an era where people have forgotten about depreciation !

and it's about money, an OPC will still take your car but will low ball you

Still wandering the web looking for EV education and found this vid which may be of interest to those with a chemical understanding and perhaps more importantly as to the possible future relative to present EV concerns as already discussed in this thread. The chemical/battery/ EV fan seems to really know his stuff but also answers the less than technical questions that most folk with any interest in EV as a form of transport might ask :-

The evolution of battery technology relative to range, also the apparent reality of battery fires, battery longevity, Insurance cost and predicted evolution thereof, and of course market value alteration in the passage of time. The vid is circa 40 mins long, but covers a fair bit of ground in detail. Should you think to watch it jump past the first minute to avoid all the usual intro stuff...

If you do watch it and think he may be predicting matters better than Mystic Meg, perhaps you might be encouraged to think that a pre owned Taycan may be quite a bargain right at the moment...?

Aweful video, blatantly letting facts get in the way of a good punchline.

Ps I know the EV buses that do the Scotland routes, they have just got planning for a new EV charging hub next to one of our sites in Paisley. I still wasn’t ready to pull the trigger on full EV buses though and we have just taken delivery of x6 new 10.8m single deckers with diesel engines lol

As ever I am grateful for any who reply to anything I post , and it seems there may be an element of facts in the last vid I posted the link to...even though the entertainment quality of the vid seems to be lacking...?

The mention of EV fleet management caused me to again go off in search of insider information that might also contain enough in the way of facts, though I apologise in advance as it comes from the same production company as the last, thus it too seems to lack in entertainment quality, but I guess much of the process of education can be a tad like that.

Again if you beam in after 40 sec or thereabouts you will miss the usual promotional stuff. If your main interest is in the capability of the Grid, then if you skip to 29:31 mins you will miss out on the fleet management stuff and much of the other content in the way of hopefully factual material.

Still thinking that a Taycan might be a bit of a Porsche sleeper at this time, and that the all electric 911 might not be as far off as we might think, jeez I can`t even see the engine in my 991 under the lid, I did wonder if that was perhaps Porsche preparing us for the next step...?

Where is Mystic Meg when you need her.. :)

Seems this EV chat has been promoted more to the forefront of the forum.... which seems possible may slightly annoy some, perhaps it would be best put back down into the General Motoring Chatter section...?

winds of change @Luddite but right now there is no 911 EV so all of this still feels like a fringe issue for now

but when the EV 718 turns up (aka shorter 2 seater Taycan coupe), perception and pespective will change...

According to @jonttt the Taycans with the Metropole (aka Moody) Blue leather are bombproof with regard to depreciation 🤣

All EV will be open to tech advances which will be a contributor to their massive depreciation.

Have you seen them prices tesla model S go for :ROFLMAO: ……the biggest problem car manufacturers will have as battery tech improves and cost decrease is justifying the massive premium over ice cars ……..the biggest threat to mass market ice cars will be they will not be able to make any money on them at some point in time as they will have to charge a premium over EV’s………the whole market will then be turned on its head. EV’s will be cheaper to buy and cheaper to run, that will be a massive wake up call ie if the big players don’t play other people will like tesla has proven. Cars will become more and more an appliance, as the video above states it has already been proven that gen 2 batteries with temperature management will easily outlast a cars chassis with virtually zero maintenance required……….cars as a commodity will go through a massive new phase of evolution on the back of that simple fact compared to a combustion engine, just like TV’s and washing machines did, its the same life cycle of evolution just over a much longer time frame ;-)……the simple truth is that an ice engine will simply not be fit for purpose compared to the simplicity and lower cost of other means of powering a car. I’m sat in Dubai as i type this and am shocked at the number of EV’s and PHEV’s over here…..like it or lump it each generation of battery tech will be another nail in the coffin of ICE

Ps a special order metropol blue Taycan would be something else, a proper 90’s homage :love:

Last edited:
Have you seen them prices tesla model S go for :ROFLMAO: ……the biggest problem car manufacturers will have as battery tech improves and cost decrease is justifying the massive premium over ice cars ……..the biggest threat to mass market ice cars will be they will not be able to make any money on them at some point in time as they will have to charge a premium over EV’s………the whole market will then be turned on its head. EV’s will be cheaper to buy and cheaper to run, that will be a massive wake up call ie if the big players don’t play other people will like tesla has proven. Cars will become more and more an appliance, as the video above states it has already been proven that gen 2 batteries with temperature management will easily outlast a cars chassis with virtually zero maintenance required……….cars as a commodity will go through a massive new phase of evolution on the back of that simple fact compared to a combustion engine, just like TV’s and washing machines did, its the same life cycle of evolution just over a much longer time frame ;-)……the simple truth is that an ice engine will simply not be fit for purpose compared to the simplicity and lower cost of other means of powering a car. I’m sat in Dubai as i type this and am shocked at the number of EV’s and PHEV’s over here…..like it or lump it each generation of battery tech will be another nail in the coffin of ICE

Ps a special order metropol blue Taycan would be something else, a proper 90’s homage :love:
That's at least another 30yrs away. In which case if by some remote chance I'm still around I'll be more concerned about whether I've filled my pants than filled the tank or plugged in. Funny though given the sun and intense heat in the Middle East solar power is non-existent. Oil is no doubt fuelling the charging stations as part of the smoke and mirrors approach to reducing global warming 🤣

In the new 'Mad Max' world there'll always be ICE garages, spares etc, the threat is what the Govt will do to price them off the road in terms of taxation, emissions, higher petrol prices. A 40yr+ car exempt from VED, MOT, ULEZ wil not be sustainable when cars that were better built in the 90s drop into that category.

That's at least another 30yrs away. In which case if by some remote chance I'm still around I'll be more concerned about whether I've filled my pants than filled the tank or plugged in
Brilliant 🤣

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcox42
Back