Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 Brake Discs / Pads Recommendations

TonyC911

Barcelona
Hi All,

My 991.1. C2S is looking like it will need new front discs and pads in the coming months. I have started shopping around for parts and just wanted to canvas general opinion on parts. I will be tackling the replacement myself (done this on many cars), as I enjoy a car project and also wanted to hear from anyone who has done this, just in case there are any 'gotcha's' on this model 911?

Having looked around on the web, somewhat surprisingly this kit from Design911 seems pretty good value. Textar discs with Brembo pads. I can get this kit delivered for approx. £340

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt66...era-S-38L--400Bhp-/Brake-Pads---Disc-Package/

Appreciate your thoughts :thumb:

Attachments

• design911_brake_kit_196.jpg
    design911_brake_kit_196.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 2,380
Tony, like you I too have replaced such parts on numerous occasions, and have been quoted North of £1k by an OPC for the same task...

I have ever had a preference for O.E. parts for my Porsche, perhaps more so when it comes to brakes. I arrived at that situation as the result of all the knock off kit out there that looks to be akin to O.E. but far from it, right down to aircraft spares ,let alone ladies handbags or watches etc. etc. etc.

Types he who is currently tied in to Porsche and O.E. by way of the extended warranty.

I think it is also advised that the caliper fixing bolts are replaced along with the discs which would add to the cost. Whether the bolts are of the one time use only stretch bolts or not.... :?:

Just thinking in type.. :eek:ld:

Hi Tony, sorry I can't comment on the durability of these parts but I have looked at them, as this is a job I'd also do myself (albeit with some 'arm wrench' assistance these days)...

Not sure whether I'd buy these and save on the OPC rate, or just buy from the dealer and do the work myself. If I hadn't got the warranty at the moment, then I might go down the route of the Girodisc upgrade and EBC Greenstuff pads (faster bite and slightly less dust but still ok for the road).

You should replace the calliper and disc mounting bolts but the removal/replacement of the caliper/disc isn't any harder than any other vehicle (I have a copy of the factory manual).

Don't think these are Torque to Yield calliper bolts but am happy to be corrected.

I'm sure you probably have one already but a Pad Spreader would be a good idea and (not wishing to teach Granny), removing a little fluid before hand - nothing worse than lovely brake fluid oozing allover, whilst you're merrily working away in the wheel arch :D

I believe the calliper bolts are torqued to 65NM and disc bolts to 10NM.

OEM pads ae Textar, discs are Pagid or Sebro.

Don't buy from the dealer - Porsche do not make pads or discs...

Many thanks for your replies guys :thumbs:

Luddite said:
I have ever had a preference for O.E. parts for my Porsche, perhaps more so when it comes to brakes. I arrived at that situation as the result of all the knock off kit out there that looks to be akin to O.E. but far from it, right down to aircraft spares ,let alone ladies handbags or watches etc. etc. etc.

Types he who is currently tied in to Porsche and O.E. by way of the extended warranty.

I think it is also advised that the caliper fixing bolts are replaced along with the discs which would add to the cost. Whether the bolts are of the one time use only stretch bolts or not.... :?:

Thanks Luddite, I have been down this route before, when my 997 needed all four corners doing and was under warranty. I still did the work myself, but did buy OEM parts from my OPC, despite the eye watering costs :sad:

What I did discover whilst doing this was the genuine parts were manufactured 'under license' by 3rd parties, as Mezgerite suggests, albeit not made by those companies, in my particular experience. The only difference I could spot was the addition of a Porsche OE symbol. Therefore, I am comfortable using well known makes of equipment, but appreciate where you are coming from.

911Time said:
Not sure whether I'd buy these and save on the OPC rate, or just buy from the dealer and do the work myself. If I hadn't got the warranty at the moment, then I might go down the route of the Girodisc upgrade and EBC Greenstuff pads (faster bite and slightly less dust but still ok for the road).

You should replace the calliper and disc mounting bolts but the removal/replacement of the caliper/disc isn't any harder than any other vehicle (I have a copy of the factory manual).

I'm sure you probably have one already but a Pad Spreader would be a good idea and (not wishing to teach Granny), removing a little fluid before hand - nothing worse than lovely brake fluid oozing allover, whilst you're merrily working away in the wheel arch :D

Thanks for the fitting advice 911Time, appreciated! If the OPC / OEM parts were more competitive on price I would have certainly considered it, however front discs alone are circa £250 each :roll:

I do need to check if anti-squeal shims are needed, these were toast when I did my 997.

Have you tried Autodoc
Not sure if this is your car but they do this package for £306.85. Free delivery over £200
CODE: BRAKEKIT991SFT
FRONT Brake Pads and Brake Disc Package Porsche 991 S 3.8L

front
Porsche 991 3.8L C2S (FRONT)
Porsche 991 3.8L C4S (FRONT)

This is for cars without Centre lock wheels

textar BRAKE DISC
brembo BRAKE PADS
ABOUT THIS KIT
This kit is comprised of the following items:

1 x Brake disc rotor, Front. Porsche 991 S 3.8L (OE Part No 99135140301/99135140401) (99135140301TEX)

1 x Brake disc rotor, Front. Porsche 991 S 3.8L (OE Part No 99135140301/99135140401) (99135140401TEX)

1 x Brake pads, Front. Porsche 991 S 3.8L (99135194903BRE)

2 x Brake pad wear sensor. Porsche 981 Boxster/Cayman / 982 (718) Boxster/Cayman (99160918100/1)

Not particularly wanting to raise the thorny issue of the Extended Warranty and its many caveats (Grr) but I wonder whether the lack of the magical 'P' Porsche Approved symbol, would invalidate any braking related warranty claim? :?:

It's so frustrating, when in most cases there's no material difference in the manufacturing specification - just the added Porsche tax. For example, I replaced the inner/outer cabin filters in my 991 a year back and used the equivalents from the exact same OE manufacturer but lacking the 'P' symbol - the same parts but cheaper.

I imagine the filtration/flow rates are exactly the same and have seen no issues at all but equally have no idea what would be said if my A/C suddenly packed up and somebody found these 'dodgy' OE spec filters in place :nooo:

All that said, I agree with you, £250 per disc is daylight robbery worthy of Dick Turpin.

Good quality OE spec front discs, pads and bolts should be about £275 all in.

According to the factory Emmanuel :), you might even get away without replacing the wear indicators, provided there's 2.5mm of pad material left.No mention of shims, I think the anti-vibe is incorporated.

Forget what I wrote, Just realised I had clicked on the wrong link :? :pc:

911Time said:
Not particularly wanting to raise the thorny issue of the Extended Warranty and its many caveats (Grr) but I wonder whether the lack of the magical 'P' Porsche Approved symbol, would invalidate any braking related warranty claim? :?:

According to the factory Emmanuel :), you might even get away without replacing the wear indicators, provided there's 2.5mm of pad material left. No mention of shims, I think the anti-vibe is incorporated.

Thanks for the shims clarification Mark!

I completely agree with your thoughts / frustrations on OEM parts, it is such a shame the price differences are so large!

Received wisdom from here on warranty claims, is that fitting non-OEM parts would only affect a claim relating to, or directly affected by those parts.

A few years ago, I personally found that when they spotted non-OEM parts during a 111-point check, I was told to replace them before they would extend the warranty. However, they cannot check every single part and they may have now changed this stance, or I was just unlucky!

TonyC911 said:
A few years ago, I personally found that when they spotted non-OEM parts during a 111-point check, I was told to replace them before they would extend the warranty. However, they cannot check every single part and they may have now changed this stance, or I was just unlucky!

I agree Tony and if the parts are from one of Porsche's OEM suppliers and of comparable quality, then I fail to see what their issue could be but they do seem to be pedantic about that little symbol.

I don't want to stray off topic but was seriously contemplating dropping the extended warranty this year because it's so stupidly restrictive but then my PCM unit developed a fault and would have cost I believe about £2,500 to change (done under the first two years of warranty). I could look at it and say, the money I would have saved on the warranty, would have paid for the PCM, or the warranty saved me having to shell out - in my head it balances out either way.

Good luck with the pad/disc change. Let us know how you get on and what you think of the parts :thumb:

There are no Porsche marks on pads or discs apart from on Ceramics.

And if they need replacing, then you should use Surface Transform which are superior.

Mezgerite said:
There are no Porsche marks on pads or discs apart from on Ceramics.

:hand: That's a sweeping statement and certainly not true in my experience of buying and replacing OEM pads / discs, see below...

Attachments

• textar_38b2e59a0133_124_149.jpeg
    textar_38b2e59a0133_124_149.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 2,138
  • jurid_122458_149_705.jpg
    jurid_122458_149_705.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 2,138

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members