Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear Brake Replacement Questions

Moko

Nurburgring
I checked the rear callipers and they are very close to the minimum thickness and looking through the car's history I can't see any record of them ever being replaced.

So it's time for me to get them done....but what exactly needs replacing?

Watching a few videos some people seem to change squeal shims, wear sensors... all the pins and brake calliper bolts whilst others seem to just change the discs and pads and leave everything else as is.

As to pads I've gone for some Textar ones and will probably get the Brembo discs as Design 911 are doing them for £63 at the moment, but if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

So what do you DIY guys change? Everything or just selected parts ?

Attachments

• 34c21d35_f9d7_42fc_8821_0d4d85368851_167.jpeg
    34c21d35_f9d7_42fc_8821_0d4d85368851_167.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 1,775
Hi,

Having done both my fronts and rears recently, I replaced everything on the rears and the minimum on the fronts. Fronts were a pain.

If I were you with no record of them being replaced, I would replace everything except maybe the brake shoes to the handbrake.

Having new stuff to hand when old stuff doesn't come out like it should makes life easier and not much more in cost either

Matt

Moko said:
I checked the rear callipers and they are very close to the minimum thickness and looking through the car's history I can't see any record of them ever being replaced.

So it's time for me to get them done....but what exactly needs replacing?

Watching a few videos some people seem to change squeal shims, wear sensors... all the pins and brake calliper bolts whilst others seem to just change the discs and pads and leave everything else as is.

As to pads I've gone for some Textar ones and will probably get the Brembo discs as Design 911 are doing them for £63 at the moment, but if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

So what do you DIY guys change? Everything or just selected parts ?

Sebro discs available from ECP are the OEM, just missing the Porsche part number and Textar pads as you have said. I have used both original Porsche and these Sebro/Textar and had them side by side and couldn't spot or feal any difference in use.
Porsche always replaces everything when doing discs, shims sensors and stretch bolts, I have a spare set and just replace what I think is necessary. The pattern shims and sensors aren't too expensive. Nothing worse than taking it all apart and needing something extra.

I changed the bleed nipples for stainless when I done mine as well as everything else listed

Hi,

I have to replace my rear discs and pads. i was wondering where everyone got the vibration shims and wear sensors? Seems very expensive from design11 and Porsche Guildford have not replied.

Thanks

sensors and rear shims also all available from EPC for pennies

If you want to replace all the parts , why not but it ain't cheap.

Defo replace the anti squeal shims, if you can get them out that is...

I also did the hand brake shoes and that was as NIGHTMARE

Also just note it is a shitty , dirty job.!!

CamGTS said:
sensors and rear shims also all available from EPC for pennies

Hi, i did a search for the parts, mine is a non 'S' 997.2 and there are no anti vibration shims and only front wear sensors on ECP.... :?:

Jam911 said:
If you want to replace all the parts , why not but it ain't cheap.

Defo replace the anti squeal shims, if you can get them out that is...

I also did the hand brake shoes and that was as NIGHTMARE

Also just note it is a shitty , dirty job.!!

Hi, i will change the shims as i didnt for the front and its made a squealing noise ever since. I will not change the handbrake shoes, i suspect they are ok, and i read its a pain to change.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back