Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 C2S/C4S Front discs and pad cost and options

OttoOtto

Nurburgring
My C4S is coming up for replacements. I've no intention of doing it myself or cutting corners and the car is under OPC warranty.

Local indy quoted £862 including £120 labour using genuine parts (price on e.g. Brembo brought it down to about £550). Caliper bolts not included but not a significant extra cost (I know OPC always replace and I would do that even though it's probably not necessary).

OPC quote £931 with about the same labour charge. Another Porsche invoice in a folder to add to the complete history. They agreed to match the price of my local indy so £862.

I asked OPC what discs and pads they use; Bosch they replied. They were also not averse to me supplying the parts...

I can't find the relevant part number manufactured by Bosch. I priced Design 911 and the genuine parts would end up costing more. The alternatives are good quality Brembo/Textar.

My sense is to stick with the OPC option. Does that sound sensible :?: I've no idea if the 'genuine' (as opposed to OEM) parts are superior but the alternatives would shave a large chunk off the bill. Some options are crazy cheap - too cheap IMO. :?:

If you are going to use OPC and the car is under warranty, then fitting non-OEM parts will void your warranty, if you try to make a brake related claim. It will also be a problem if you intend to renew the warranty.

Personally, I would just go the OPC route for less hassle. Well actually, I would buy the parts from OPC and fit myself, as a very simple job :thumbs:

As above, go with OPC.

Thanks both - completely agree. The labour cost is fine. I still wonder whether genuine discs/pads are superior to others or whether there is just a big markup on effectively the same OEM product. I have seen some reports of longer life on 'genuine' Porsche discs. OPC it is then...

OttoOtto said:
I still wonder whether genuine discs/pads are superior to others or whether there is just a big markup on effectively the same OEM product. I have seen some reports of longer life on 'genuine' Porsche discs.

Absolutely there is a big mark up on OEM parts! They are produced under license by 3rd parties such as Jurid / Textar / Brembo / Bosch, etc. and then Porsche adds their tax, before passing on to us poor suckers :wack:

I don't believe they would last any longer, or be better quality. The only difference from their patent parts, seems to be a stamp to prove it is OEM :?

It's quite a good money making scam really!

TonyC911 said:
Yes, it does indeed make money for the dealership. The previous arguments about warranty maintenance unfortunately make it a no-brainer.

But maybe thinking a bit wider, all dealerships have to fund shiny parts department premises, staff, software, training, etc, so the income has to come from somewhere. All OEMs do the same thing. Even humble Honda are horrific for the price of regular parts which are viewed as consumables when compared to the pattern parts market.

Porsche may not be good on a percentage basis when compared to "alternative" pattern parts, but on a percentage mark-up basis, maybe only mid-pack when compared to some peers.

DRZ911 said:
TonyC911 said:
Yes, it does indeed make money for the dealership. The previous arguments about warranty maintenance unfortunately make it a no-brainer.

But maybe thinking a bit wider, all dealerships have to fund shiny parts department premises, staff, software, training, etc, so the income has to come from somewhere. All OEMs do the same thing. Even humble Honda are horrific for the price of regular parts which are viewed as consumables when compared to the pattern parts market.

Porsche may not be good on a percentage basis when compared to "alternative" pattern parts, but on a percentage mark-up basis, maybe only mid-pack when compared to some peers.

Porsche do not make pads and discs and cannot tell the difference if 'third party' parts are fitted, no effect on Insurance unless you make a brake related claim and they can establish that the reason for the claim is the part fitted or the fitting, extremely unlikely. No need to get ripped off, your local garage can do it.

Dizzy991 said:
DRZ911 said:
TonyC911 said:

Porsche do not make pads and discs and cannot tell the difference if 'third party' parts are fitted , no effect on Insurance unless you make a brake related claim and they can establish that the reason for the claim is the part fitted or the fitting, extremely unlikely. No need to get ripped off, your local garage can do it.

All OEM Porsche parts (made under license) can be identified by the symbol printed on the parts -

See examples below.

Attachments

• jurid_122458_149_175_736.jpg
    jurid_122458_149_175_736.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 2,435
  • textar_38b2e59a0133_124_444_864.jpeg
    textar_38b2e59a0133_124_444_864.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 2,435
Thanks Tony/Dizzy

I agree Porsche don't make these parts and I'm leaning toward the fact that the same parts in a Porsche box are extortionate!

Interesting to see the pic of the Brembo/Textar pad - I thought they were different 'makes' but I guess it's more complicated than that (parent companies etc.).

I looked at Design 911, if you look at the rear pad options you could be forgiven for thinking the Genuine vs. the ABS are exactly the same thing. https://www.design911shop.com/Porsc...Pads-Standard/pt66_201_-cma81-cmo1693-ct1697/

Design 911 explanation is on this link https://www.design911.co.uk/blog/original-equipment-quality-parts/

When I bought my car the indy replaced the rear discs and pads in the deal following the 111 point check, since then it's had another check for the warranty. I'm a bit dubious about whether they would pay the huge markup on the same product. But then if you look at e.g. RPM Tecknik they say they only use genuine Porsche parts. I'm differentiating 'genuine' from 'OE', which may well be the same thing in different packaging. Anything that's listed as genuine doesn't give away the manufacturing brand :chin:

Basically it doesn't matter, I cannot imagine a claim resulting from Brembo/Textar pads or discs and they won't affect any other part of the warranty.

OttoOtto said:
Concordato

As long as you make your decision with your eyes open mate. As I explained, Porsche can identify OEM parts, both those they manufacture and those made under license by 3rd parties.

If you are comfortable with fitting non-OEM parts and you recognise any possible risk related to your warranty, then happy days :thumbs:

TonyC911 said:
OttoOtto said:
Concordato

As long as you make your decision with your eyes open mate. As I explained, Porsche can identify OEM parts, both those they manufacture and those made under license by 3rd parties.

If you are comfortable with fitting non-OEM parts and you recognise any possible risk related to your warranty, then happy days :thumbs:

Ah yes, and make sure you fit OEM wiper blades, they can seriously affect your engine/gearbox warranty!
And of course consumables such as discs and pads aren't covered by the warranty.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back