Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Yet *another* exhaust thread.

PeterCrawford

I've been running round in circles for weeks looking at valved exhaust systems for my 997.1, and I'm just amazed at how few exhaust manufacturers have decent sales materials to help potential buyers with what will be a pretty expensive purchase. I know there are a lot of variables determining how a system wil sound, but I've had very little information from manufacturers, and I've had to go searching for (usually crappy) YouTube videos in order to try and work out what to buy.

I've currently got RPM Technik CSR mufflers fitted, and I do like them, but they're pretty loud above about 3K rpm, and I'd like the option to make rapid, stealthy progress from time to time. I was about to go for the Cargraphic, when I read on here that the Super Sport kit is *very* loud (i.e. too loud for track days), at which point I went looking for videos of the regular "Sport" exhaust, which sounds pretty uninspring in the videos.

I'm back where I started - except that I have a GT3 rear bumper kicking around waiting to be fitted and taking up space in a local bodyshop, and I expect a call at some point telling me to get on with making up my mind!

So, I'm putting out a plea for help - are there any folks out there with 997s who have TopGear, Cargraphic, FVD or Kline valved exhausts who would be willing to let me come and have a listen? I'm based in Berks, so would prefer offers from the south east. To begin with at least!

Can't help with your quest for demos, but have you spoken to RPM?

If you like the basic sound, they might have a switchable option, or if not might be interested in customer feedback and know how to fit one. I imagine the system is built by a supplier.

Hi Peter,
I recently got the remote valved TOPGEAR exhaust / mufflers installed on my 997.1 S2C, manual.

For me, the Topgear system is close to OEM exhaust when the valves are closed. If I open the exhaust, the noise is louder on acceleration for sure. Louder, but not too loud, for me :)

You would be welcome to try a spin, but I am based in Ireland, so not much use to you, I think. I could try and WhatsApp some sound clips to you if that is any use. For what it is worth, I'm really happy with the valved Topgear exhaust. It was well worth it...

I've just got a valved one from Spyder - similar to Topgear. Not fitted it yet but happy to meet up when done as I'm a little closer - in the Cotswolds

Have a Kline stainless system on my 997.2, based in West London. You are welcome to come and have a listen / go out for a run.

Hi,
I'm running Cargraphic valved exhaust and 200 cell X-pipe on my 997.1 C2S and based Hampshire/Surrey Border.

Pm me if I can be of help.

I'm in the middle of spring replacement at the moment so will be a week or so until the car is on the road.

Weston Matt said:
I've just got a valved one from Spyder - similar to Topgear. Not fitted it yet but happy to meet up when done as I'm a little closer - in the Cotswolds

interested to see what you think. I have them and tbh I dont notice much difference open or closed.

PeterCrawford said:
I've been running round in circles for weeks looking at valved exhaust systems for my 997.1, and I'm just amazed at how few exhaust manufacturers have decent sales materials to help potential buyers with what will be a pretty expensive purchase. I know there are a lot of variables determining how a system wil sound, but I've had very little information from manufacturers, and I've had to go searching for (usually crappy) YouTube videos in order to try and work out what to buy.

I've currently got RPM Technik CSR mufflers fitted, and I do like them, but they're pretty loud above about 3K rpm, and I'd like the option to make rapid, stealthy progress from time to time. I was about to go for the Cargraphic, when I read on here that the Super Sport kit is *very* loud (i.e. too loud for track days), at which point I went looking for videos of the regular "Sport" exhaust, which sounds pretty uninspring in the videos.

I'm back where I started - except that I have a GT3 rear bumper kicking around waiting to be fitted and taking up space in a local bodyshop, and I expect a call at some point telling me to get on with making up my mind!

So, I'm putting out a plea for help - are there any folks out there with 997s who have TopGear, Cargraphic, FVD or Kline valved exhausts who would be willing to let me come and have a listen? I'm based in Berks, so would prefer offers from the south east. To begin with at least!

In the simplest of fashions, isn't the Topgear X Pipe, as a stand alone product on a C2S (non PSE) the 'neatest' way to find a near equivalent 'Gundo Hack' experience? I'm looking for a bit more low down rumble at start up and low speed cruising as opposed to upsetting the neighbours. At £340 (less forum discount) it appears a no brainer but I dont see any reports over all the forums that talks about low end rumble benefits. The TG X Pipe looks like it has a Gundo type equivalent set up in its manufacture so thought it surely must add some grunt...? (I know this has been talked to death on the forums but is a straight TG pipe addition going to get me anywhere near a PSE feel?

for an X pipe youre looking around £700 if you want one with cats. 400-500ish for a decat? But then into EML problems

The gundo hack is very close externally to what PSE does internally - a bunch of exhaust gases are routed to avoid the main baffles. If you want the PSE like sound, gundo should be the cheapest way to do it.

On the 7.1, the cats are in the central section so either you replace them with straight piping (and the EML / MOT issues that Paul refers to), or pay additional to have a crossover with sports cats.

The 7.2 has the cats at the end of the manifolds, and not in the central section so that entire silencer can be replaced either with an x-pipe (like topgear) or a cross over (like hayward and scott).

Yellow said:
The gundo hack is very close externally to what PSE does internally - a bunch of exhaust gases are routed to avoid the main baffles. If you want the PSE like sound, gundo should be the cheapest way to do it.

On the 7.1, the cats are in the central section so either you replace them with straight piping (and the EML / MOT issues that Paul refers to), or pay additional to have a crossover with sports cats.

The 7.2 has the cats at the end of the manifolds, and not in the central section so that entire silencer can be replaced either with an x-pipe (like topgear) or a cross over (like hayward and scott).

Thanks guys!
I should have mentioned i have 7.2. So the X Pipe seems like a sensible and cost effective bump up to get a bit of depth without breaking the bank, and I'm only keeping the car for 6-9 months so no point spending big money. I know PSE comes in for some grief but I liked the subtlety that I had with it on my 991.2 (which I miss!). I also realise that the 7.2 wont give me after cracks and pops as the 991.2 did, but I can live with that as losing as I just have a bit more depth overall....

So are you saying I can just go for the TG X option (thus removing central section) and not have to do anything with the cats?

Edwos said:
Yellow said:

Thanks guys!
I should have mentioned i have 7.2. So the X Pipe seems like a sensible and cost effective bump up to get a bit of depth without breaking the bank, and I'm only keeping the car for 6-9 months so no point spending big money. I know PSE comes in for some grief but I liked the subtlety that I had with it on my 991.2 (which I miss!). I also realise that the 7.2 wont give me OVER RUN cracks and pops as the 991.2 did, but I can live with that as LONG as I just have a bit more depth overall....

So are you saying I can just go for the TG X option (thus removing central section) and not have to do anything with the cats?

This is such a great place :D

Thanks to everyone who responded with an offer. I'll send PMs, rather than continuing here. Really appreciate it!

Edwos said:
Edwos said:
Yellow said:

Thanks guys!
I should have mentioned i have 7.2. So the X Pipe seems like a sensible and cost effective bump up to get a bit of depth without breaking the bank, and I'm only keeping the car for 6-9 months so no point spending big money. I know PSE comes in for some grief but I liked the subtlety that I had with it on my 991.2 (which I miss!). I also realise that the 7.2 wont give me OVER RUN cracks and pops as the 991.2 did, but I can live with that as LONG as I just have a bit more depth overall....

Yes 7.2 is straightforward to swap the centre silencer for either an x-pipe of crossover for more noise. Nothing with the cats / lambdas / main (side) silencers would change. FWIW the x-pipe and the cross overs are meant to have different characters based on how the gases mix but I have no personal experience there.

Peter- My car is equipped with PSE and I have added the Top Gear X pipe fitted along with a custom 200cel manicat which TG developed as a one off. This sounds good when the PSE is in open position. 👍 I highly recommend as it sounds more meaty on start up, (thankfully not wake your neighbours loud), doesn't drone at cruising speeds and as the revs build it has a bit of a rasp to the sound.

Prior to that they developed a separate manifold, 200cel cat which replaced the centre box. This sounded very similar (maybe abit more bassy on start up), but both systems made a positive difference in the character of the sound.

Hope that helps.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back