Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSE Exhaust replacement

EHKO

Trainee
Heya Gang,

I've had a bit of a search on the forum, and i've come up with nothing so - lets see what the thoughts are;

So one of my OEM PSE silencers is on it's way out, theres a split running down it - I reckon I've got about a year left in it before having to sort, the other i've just had the joints rewelded to give me some time to look at options, both need sorting, so no chance of doing 1;

So - most of the exhaust threads on here, are to get valved systems, or to replace systems but non PSE etc etc.

Here's my q -

it's £2.5k roughly for the PSE silencers, add vat and fitting etc

What i cant work out is - is it worth just replacing, or is it better to get a whole new system thats better for maybe £1-2k extra.

I have been offered various systems that are cheaper then OEM - but i'm working on the idea, that IF I had to sell or moved out of this newer 911 into a vintage one, PSE is a major selling point, then I need a system thats better or an OEM one to be on the car - I'm right in this line of thought, right?

Also most of these systems that are switchable - are on keyfobs etc, so I need to make sure the system works with the interior switching, I have seen the thread on here regarding linking it to the switch on the HVAC.

I was thinking about either

x51 headers
200 cell cats
new PSE mufflers

or

Something way cooler, that sounds better - but i'm coming up with a small pool of ideas

Mega dollars

Kline
FabSpeed
Milltek

then the cheaper options with fobs (no offense ment here!)

Designtek
Topgear
Dansk

I see that the OEM PSE mufflers are Eisenmann? Am I correct with this?

I think a global exhaust thread would be good, as theres loads of post on here for them - I bet you guys can offer some more ideas, systems, builders etc etc.

As far as I know (from memory of a friends 996) the OEM PSE silencers use the same type of vacuum actuator as the aftermarket ones. I fitted the Topgear ones to my 997, which didn't have PSE and apart from being lighter, they were very similar.

So if you already have PSE, I suspect that you can just change the silencer for an aftermarket and don't need the fobs etc.

+1

The control mechanism is the same between all the switchable exhausts, so if you already have a switchable one, only the exhaust is swapped (and the existing vacuum line connected up to the valves of the new exhaust). With any of them you wouldnt have a fob (or should not).

I fitted a Kline system to mine, it wasnt cheap, it does sound great. There are not many around to have a listen to before committing. At the spendier end, Akrapovic and Cargraphic also make systems. Much of this is quite personal of is "XYZ sound worth ABC money" to you.

Ahhh I knew you guys would come through!

I've checked out the cargraphic systems, they look interesting as well - The only thing I need to work out is the OEM PSE option vs something else and whether that will put anyone off, but i'm hoping not!

It's not going anywhere soon - unless a nice 964 comes up :wack:

Not sure if any help or not but I have just fitted PSE to my car (as did not have it before) and the whole system including internal switch module cost £1900 from OPC including VAT. A bit less then the £2.5k in your post. May or may not help with decision!

b2thomas said:
Not sure if any help or not but I have just fitted PSE to my car (as did not have it before) and the whole system including internal switch module cost £1900 from OPC including VAT. A bit less then the £2.5k in your post. May or may not help with decision!

Thanks for that! That might actually swing a decision! did you get it straight or use PCGB or TIPEC discount??

EHKO said:
b2thomas said:

Thanks for that! That might actually swing a decision! did you get it straight or use PCGB or TIPEC discount??

Standard pricing - no discount. From OPC Bolton

PSE definitely best for ease of resale. Not everyone likes a third party exhaust. If keeping the car there are other 3rd party options that give different pros and cons depending what you are after.

@EHKO what was decided in the end?

I’m in a similar boat, my exhaust is past its best. Although it appears to consist of:
  • Topgear-esque manifolds (over 10 years old now)
  • Stock cats
  • Stock back-boxes (which have been Fister hacked but are unfortunately blowing and even clink/rattle sometimes when closing the doors).
Thinking to go:
  • X51 manifolds
  • M&M 200 cell cats (and retain the stock cats in the garage should the time come to move the car on)
  • PSE.

Tubistyle is the best exhaust I've heard on a 997.2 by a long way. It's why I kept my first 997 far too long.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back