Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water Leak!!!! Headlamp Washer

DucatiRob

Mugello
Have been busy faffing with there car, a few mods and fixing some minor issues before Dinslaken trip new week, and discovered a small water leak at the front of the car! Fearing the worst and a big bill.. thankfully a clear dish under it for a couple of hours showed it was blue/green and not pink! Phew! Front coolant pipes were all done less than two years ago so any issues there would have been more than annoying!

The leak is just under the headlamp so pulled the sidelight unit out, the washer jet is leaking right at the top, strange as it's only just a little lower than the washer filler cap and the car has only been used once this year, to CG and back! Strange that is just started leaking without any use and that it's not leaking from any obvious connection pipe, which is what I expects.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Think I can pull the unit out without taking the bumper off, not what I want to do with only a few days before I head off to Europe, and worst case I can live with it till I get back, but annoying!! :x

Yup .. not uncommon to operate the headlamp washers on a service and then find they leak .. unfortunately they syphon the washer fluid out of the bottle so it will basically empty it ... you would need to blow air into the line to create an airlock to stop the syphoning effect .

For us we replace the entire unit .. at the end of the day though it's the jet not fully returning home i would guess at .. strip and repair would seem possible although i've never done that as not time effective .

The jets raise when operated .. you can catch them and release the top part .. something might be obvious at that point :dont know:

Strange they leak but have not been used though as its normally .. for me at least.. after operation .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLjtKlW48E

Thanks deMort :thumb:

Did not realise you could just pull them out! Will take a look tomorrow, perhaps it just needs operating a few times and re-seating, car hasn't been used for a while, but either way not too difficult to fix!

maybe just a 'dry' O-ring Rob ?
I just filled my screen wash next day a large puddle appeared, but my leak seams to be coming down from behind the wheel arch cover at the rear of the front wheel, so directly sort of under the reservoir, I don't think ill have time to fix it
as Dinslaken beckons :dont know:
passenger side window has also stopped working, I think 2 years stood has not done it any favours, but I'm currently in the middle of test runs and different maps with Markski, so until that's sorted all other 'non essentials' are on the to do list :roll:
cheers
paul

Hopefully you're right Paul! At least it's not a bug problem if I can't fix it!

Is it the the window regulator or an electric problem? My drivers side regulator gave up last year, not a huge job to do. Also had problems with the switch unit playing up before too, easy fix with a good soaking with contact cleaner to flush out any crud.

I also have a to do list as long as your arm :D

Dinslaken 2022

I can hear the window motor clicking, but no up/down, also window does not drop when opening the door :dont know: :dont know:
but it won't stop my need for speed :lol: :D
on my initial test runs it is brutal 8)

I've had this issue twice with washer fluid leaking from my nearside front underneath the car. The first time, it was headlight washer that needed replacing and second time it was in fact the washer fluid reservoir that was leaking from a defective seal, which was replaced and all perfect afterwards.

chowgar said:
I've had this issue twice with washer fluid leaking from my nearside front underneath the car. The first time, it was headlight washer that needed replacing and second time it was in fact the washer fluid reservoir that was leaking from a defective seal, which was replaced and all perfect afterwards.
Thanks Chowgar :thumb: Hopefully just a seal on my reservoir ☺️

Re: Dinslaken 2022

diverzeusy said:
I can hear the window motor clicking, but no up/down, also window does not drop when opening the door :dont know: :dont know:

That sounds like the regulator Paul, the steel cable goes and wraps itself around the motor!

DucatiRob said:
diverzeusy said:

That sounds like the regulator Paul, the steel cable goes and wraps itself around the motor!
Thanks Rob
Good information, I will check this out, great Dinslaken trip by the way, great to meet up again Rob 👍👍
Still loving your headlights 💕

diverzeusy said:
DucatiRob said:
diverzeusy said:

Thanks Rob
Good information, I will check this out, great Dinslaken trip by the way, great to meet up again Rob 👍👍
Still loving your headlights 💕

Cheers Paul :thumb:

Great trip wasn't it and a more than a few laughs :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back