Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Track day camera mounting?

remarklima

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all,

Looking to finally get my A into G and get back into doing a few track days - it's been a while!

Back in the day, you could have a passenger just hold a camera ;) But then suction mounts were OK, and now AFAIK, it's fixed mounts only?

I'd like a camera between the seats, and ideally just use my phone rather than buy a GoPro (other models are available right?).

But I can't fathom how to get a solid mount between the seats without damaging something... How do people do it without a roll cage?

It's tricky if you're running buckets or any high backed sports seats without a separate head rest (to which a solid mounting bar can be mounted) and you don't have a roll cage; some of the 'gooseneck' mounts don't quite grip hard enough and shake loose or vibrate.

I've run a GoPro attached to the side of my helmet, and I also have a mount fixed to the top of the SportsChrono carbuncle for a purely forward-looking view.

Not sure this helps much.

I have a dashcam attached behind the mirror, attached to the Android head unit, so that's a "plan b", the viewing angle is decent so could be an option.

I was thinking to make something up that could be screwed into the hooks on the back of the seats, then you'd have a solid bar between the two seats maybe? Or something between the two B pillars?

Another thinking was to use a clamp mount on the head-lining at the back of the sunroof, but this may vibrate like crazy!

I was hopeful that someone may have figured it out without needing to get all McGuyver about it ;)

How does the helmet cam mount? And the marshalls are OK with it?

remarklima said:
I have a dashcam attached behind the mirror, attached to the Android head unit, so that's a "plan b", the viewing angle is decent so could be an option.

I was thinking to make something up that could be screwed into the hooks on the back of the seats, then you'd have a solid bar between the two seats maybe? Or something between the two B pillars?

Another thinking was to use a clamp mount on the head-lining at the back of the sunroof, but this may vibrate like crazy!

I was hopeful that someone may have figured it out without needing to get all McGuyver about it ;)

How does the helmet cam mount? And the marshalls are OK with it?

Interesting ideas, obviously the best for the in car view is a hard mount to a roll cage, but without it, you need to get creative...

I've not had any trouble from the track-rozzers with a helmet mounted camera but I haven't ever driven on a British circuit so I don't know what their attitude is; but at least in Dubai, Finland and Sweden, where I have tried, I've not had any bans. And from what I can see of the regulars at the Nurburgring on YouTube, that's OK too.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhaApex
Back