Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Toddler car seats

porkchops

Monza
With 2 boys under 3, I scrolled through the internet in terms of options for car seats and ended up buying a few of them. I thought I would put my finding and experience on here:

Halford Group 1-2-3 (which is the most mentioned online for the 996), cheap, fits well however IMO really not the safest in terms of padding etc and not super tight once strapped in with the seat belt. You get what you pay for I suppose but a great cheap option for the occasional ride.

BeSafe iZi Comfort X3 Car Seat, it fits relatively well in the back seat, but it's bulky due to its plastic base, a paint to get in and out of the car without scratching something. The back of the seat is also made of plastic and puts a dent in the back rest which is not ideal (I had to put an old towel behind to not damage/dent the leather). On the plus side, the seat is extreme good quality, it feels really safe with lots of padding and side impact protection, different adjustment, very well thought with magnet for the straps to keep them away, multiple recline options. It is securely tighten, does not wobble like the Halford. And all that is reflected by it's price which is multiple of the Halford. All in all a very good car seat if you don't have the need to move in and out and want the best for your kid and don't mind the cost. I managed to get ours new on ebay for not a lot of money but they don't come up as often.

Britax Romer EVOLVA 123. This is my favourite as it is right in between the options above in terms of fit, 'safety' and price! It's great quality, seat well in the back seat, it's very well padded and feel really safe and it is not as bulky as the Besafe making it easier to move it in and out (although for that the halford wins hands down due to its very slim and minimalistic design). This car seat comes in 2 versions, one with the side protection (more expensive) and one without the side impact protection which can be found fairly easily on ebay between £70-100. Got a new one for £75.

Here is a pic of my boys. On the right it's the Halford 1/2/3 and on the right the Britax. I got fed up moving the Besafe one in and out so leaving that one in my wife car now.

Attachments

• img_2327_138.jpg
    img_2327_138.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 944
I have just fitted the Britax into my 996TT and at first seemed to not fit. Lots of swearing later I realised that it default's to the upright position, once I moved the the little spacer on the bottom to the recline position it fits like a glove.
I didnt remove the seat pad, but I will at some point in the future.

This is more for info, as some say the seat fits as is and others say it doesnt!

rads said:
Double post

Very good point! I did not realise that as the first time I tried I had it in recline position already because it's for my 1 months old

Just ordered the Britax based on this info. Will report back when it arrives. :D

Does anybody drive with slightly older kids in the back?

Mine are now 5 & 6 and my daughter is now almost tall enough to fit without a seat. We've tried her with a booster seat (one without a back or sides) but it didn't fit well and just slid about.

Are the Britax ok for older kids? I see the specs say ok for kids up to 12 but how does this work practically in a 996? Do they have enough room to be comfortable?

X911 said:

Mine are now 5 & 6 and my daughter is now almost tall enough to fit without a seat. We've tried her with a booster seat (one without a back or sides) but it didn't fit well and just slid about.

Are the Britax ok for older kids? I see the specs say ok for kids up to 12 but how does this work practically in a 996? Do they have enough room to be comfortable?

I would go for the halford 1/2/3 if I was you. The bitrax is a bit bulky while the halford is thin and seat deeper and lower than the bitrax. They should still have enough space for legs etc. With the botrax it might be fine but probably not a great lot of room

Good info and thanks for posting, the pic is useful so people can see how they fit.

Seat arrived and fitted it without too much difficulty. Its interesting the comparison between ISO FIX and non ISO FIX. The non feels ever so slightly less secure... Any way - happy with the seat and at last we can go out as a family in the 996 again. :D

Attachments

• 1628ce61_0d98_4ba3_9001_ef1923a6ecaa_1_105_c_464.jpeg
    1628ce61_0d98_4ba3_9001_ef1923a6ecaa_1_105_c_464.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 489
  • 0ce6129e_c7ad_4831_97bb_c9ac1d4dd755_1_105_c_170.jpeg
    0ce6129e_c7ad_4831_97bb_c9ac1d4dd755_1_105_c_170.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 489
I have 2 Britax isofix's in the back of my 991, was the only seat I found that fits securely too.

I did remove the rear seat bench and back rest to make more room as I am 6ft 2 and need the extra inch or two!

X911 said:

Bought a Maxi Cosi Rodi SPS for our 5 year old. It fits perfectly in the back of our 997 cabriolet. Can be had for a reasonable price online at the moment and was considering buying a second for when my littlest gets a bit bigger!

“Britax Romer EVOLVA 123. This is my favourite as it is right in between the options above in terms of fit, 'safety' and price! It's great quality, seat well in the back seat, it's very well padded and feel really safe and it is not as bulky as the Besafe making it easier to move it in and out (although for that the halford wins hands down due to its very slim and minimalistic design). This car seat comes in 2 versions, one with the side protection (more expensive) and one without the side impact protection which can be found fairly easily on ebay between £70-100. Got a new one for £75.”

I own 3 of these and use in various vehicles (not the GT3 though, but that could change in the future should I go ahead with fitting belts in the rear)

for mine used the

Porsche Junior Seat ISOFIX, G 1

1711915602036.png

but it's just a G1 seat with a Porsche logo, so nothing special

Great consumer advice suits my 2 year old!

Just need to find something relitivaly good for a 6 year old

Great consumer advice suits my 2 year old!

Just need to find something relitivaly good for a 6 year old
then you're into the G2/G3 seats

where the top half can then be detached so you can use the bottom half as a Booster seat

1712007359282.png

I am quite happy with my seats in the back for my 2 and 5 years old. However the distance between their head and the back of the front seats makes it unsafe. The ideal 55cm between the back of their seat and the front driver seat is not applicable. I wonder how they have been able (and still are) to get safety homologation on the 911. In case of an accident they will
Injure themself badly.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back