Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ticking over like a bag o' spanners - Fixed

I do get a bit of oil residue in the plenum but not much and thought this was normal. Throttle body was clean whenever I've looked.

I've thought from the begining it was possibly down to the AOS. When I get chane I'm gonna whip the back wheel off and have a look where you've said.

Cheers for the help :thumb:

I have a new bellows in sealed bag if you need one.
Bought it but new aos came with one in the box :)

:thumb:

Just had an hour to spare so put the car up on the ramps and had a poke round the AOS. Couldn't see anything untoward, but apart form seeing a split bellow didn't really know what to look for. Took a couple of snaps as it's easier than trying to look. Heavens opened and stopped play :nooo:

From below
DSC03204_zps4tlcgynp.jpg

From side
DSC03228_zpsm2zjyljj.jpg

I had a 964 with the same problems and its bloody annoying. I changed the lambda sensor which made no difference. I tinkered around and found that (bearing in mind i'm certainly no mechanic) the 'hammer' on the throttle, when at tickover, rests on and depresses a microswitch. When mine was at tickover and fluctuating, I just slightly pushed the 'hammer' and could hear the switch click(meaning the 'hammer' was just short of resting fully on the switch)....and it ran perfectly, so I adjusted the cable and, hey presto, it was perfect after that. I hope this might help you.

Hi,

Thanks for that - if only it was that simple. Mines e-gas (electronic throttle body) so there's no adjustment like that. :thumb:

That pipe in the second picture about an inch diameter, is it split? If yes your idle will be very poor. Check the other end, it runs directly behind the air inlet snorkel where it reaches the rear lid. If the snorkel is just a little bit loose it can wear the pipe behind causing a vacuum leak and a subsequent poor idle.

Had a similar problem with my 3.6 turned out to be a burned valve caused by a siezed follower.Get a compression check done & also have the bores looked at as mine also had first signs of bore scoring which is a bit of a worry i will just have to see how it goes.

Alex
Have you had the car on piwis or durametric? I had the same symptom on mine after the engine refit and I had 2 of the 4 O2 sensor plugs mixed up. It didn't throw the check engine light but gave lumpy idle and strange readings on the diagnostics. Perhaps one of your 02 sensors is going bad?

Just a thought

:thumb:

My man's had his Gizmo plugged in and checked all the live data and says it's all fine. No faults stored either.

I've more experience with bmw's than Porsches but you mentioned you had recently cleaned the MAF, they are very delicate and it's not uncommon that cleaning them causes problems. Usually you can disconnect a MAF (by unplugging it) and a car will run fine on a default map ie it's easy to check for a MAF fault. Ps unplugging may give you an engine fault light / code but that should reset itself when the MAF is plugged back in and the car run for 10-20 miles (assuming Porsches work similar to other german cars ;-)

Tried that.

Gave it a clean following GT4's method with IPA, then tried the disconnecting and lit the dash up like a Christmas tree (PSM, ABS, CEL, etc.)

Car's running absolutely beautiful, just ticks over like it smokes 40 woodbine a day.

Update on my car:

Still haven't got to the bottom of this and it seems now to have deteriorated.

When the car is now up to temp and switched off for a few minutes, it's struggling to restart, ie. won't start unless I give it a blip on the throttle. Then when it does, the revs drop down to about 300-400 (almost conks out) and then corrects itself. Does this about 4 times before settling down and ticking over low again.

Everything on my mechanics code reader is fine (including live data apart from rpm reading).

Need to get this sorted before my trip to France in September.

Starting to annoy me :frustrated:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geoff993
Back