Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Not sure about buying this Boxster in this current climate

isysman

Daytona
Fellas,

I'm having second thoughts about buying this new Boxster GTS 4.0 in the current climate. I've seen some videos on YouTube about this subject and also they have been talking about the slump in the price of used cars.

I've been going through ads and I can see some great bargains to be had for what I would pay for my new BGTS.

Ferrari Califorina T £82k
McLaren 570 Coupe £89k
991 Carrera S Cab (3.0 Gen.2)£65k
2014 991 Turbo S Cab £79k

Now some of these cars would not be practical replacements for my 981 Boxster S which is when I'm home my daily. My lady has suggested selling my 911 'GT2RS' and replacing it with one of these cars and keeping the Boxster as a daily.

I've wondered about selling both cars and buying one of the above for special and a Cayenne/Macan for daily.

But I'm all over the place. I really don't want to sell my 911 but I don't have room for a third car as I would need to leave one on the drive (not an option).

I go right around until I'm back to buying the new Boxster. I even float selling my house so I can get a larger garage! Haha

Suggestions on a postcard to TISWAS, BBC House, London, or post comment under here...

Personally I would never buy another new car as the VAT content alone puts me off before the thought of severe depreciation.
There are so many truly outstanding used cars available for that sort of budget.

The only car I'd buy new is one that is worth more when I drove it out of the showroom - that boat has sailed plus I don't fit the profile for getting on any 'preferred list' :roll:

The main issue you have is selling your cars to buy another. They need to be sold private to a buyer who is not as worried as everyone else on future values. As a PX you'll get end up with sore gonads when the 'offer' is presented :what:

McLaren I wouldn't touch with an out of programmed Colini Stick as the warranty and general 'issues' tie you to the main dealers who look upon you as an open wallet.

Porsche we all know. Ferrari California. I like these but many say they don't have the 'feel' of a true Ferrari sports car.

When supercar prices get to 50-60 bags then all options are open. I like the Gallardo, they're at my price point, I'd want a manual and at current prices I don't think they've a long way to drop.

As the esteemed gentleman mentions, the Gallardo is a great shout.

As regards a daily, it depends what you need. If you're currently using a Boxster, then space clearly isn't an issue. In which case I'd forget the SUV option. I daily a Macan, and I love it for what it is. But it's not a sports car.

The Boxster GTS 4.0 looks like a great car. I'm tempted by one myself. I've yet to scratch that mid engined Porsche itch, and with a NA 4.0 manual option now available for the masses, it is very tempting.

As regards prices. Who knows what's going to happen. If you can afford it, I'd buy the Boxster and enjoy it. And forget any potential depreciation. Porsche's will depreciate less than most other marques.

Personally I wouldn't dream of buying an Italian supercar over a Porsche, they just don't do it for me. Most of them are way over-styled. The only exception I would make would be for a 458 Italia in Grigio Silverstone.

And as for McLaren, I'll be surprised if they're still with us in 18 months.

kas750 said:
Personally I would never buy another new car as the VAT content alone puts me off before the thought of severe depreciation.
There are so many truly outstanding used cars available for that sort of budget.

+1 (unless you're the legend that is Harrie :grin:) Personally the only bargain I'd be looking at would be a used 4 litre GT3, juggling around the other stock and begging or borrowing to get it :dont know: the topping nicely into buyable territory.

In relation to the selling of your car, you've got a curly one on your hands. You know what i think of your car and the attention to detail is second to none. From memory, the 4WD system and the intercoolers is about what separates you from an Carbon copy RS clone along with some red alcentara.
I'm having sellers remorse and it's not even my car.
Having said that there is a large pool of cars to choose from in that price bracket.
This one is too hard for me and during a moment like this, I choose do nothing.

Re: Not sure about buying this Boxster in this current clima

isysman said:
But I'm all over the place. I really don't want to sell my 911 but I don't have room for a third car as I would need to leave one on the drive (not an option).

I go right around until I'm back to buying the new Boxster. I even float selling my house so I can get a larger garage! Haha..

Car storage is the answer. Cheaper than the buy/sell spread on changing multiple cars. Multi Insurance that covers multiple addresses is surprisingly cost effective as well.

Put it away dirty...They wash it whilst stored..take it out clean :thumb:

You don't even have to fess up to owning another to the missus. you can say it's a mates car borrowed for a bit. :shutup:

I`m with FZP sell the "RS" no no no :eek: give it to 9e for a bit of pepping up would be my choice above anything on your list

Gazc2 said:
I`m with FZP sell the "RS" no no no :eek: give it to 9e for a bit of pepping up would be my choice above anything on your list

Yeah I don't think I could ever sell it to be honest. And I have been talking to Ken at 9e about mods.

FZP I actually have RS inter coolers on my car as well! Had all the frames that hold them fitted as well. Only difference is AWD system.

The other option is keep both of my current cars and buy a used Cayenne/Macan as well.

I think your last idea is your best. You really don't want to sell the 911, you've put a huge amount of time and money into that car and I think you'd regret it massively the minute you handed the keys over.

Buying a good SUV is definitely your best option at present, personally I'd wait at least a month or so and let the market settle once the dealerships reopen. Chances are a lot of dealers will be looking to flip stock and especially so for cash, they'll be desperate for cash flow and going in with a cheeky offer might get you a bargain.

Lets face facts, this countries bu@@ered for the next 6 months to a year so the only thing that's going to keep the market bouyant is a shortage of stock due to the shut downs. Saying that OPC's have been haemorrhaging orders for new cars and some have new stock they're desperate to move on, inc GT cars.

My 2p for your consideration:

Well, first of all I really don't think that you should sell the 2RS replica. You have spent far too much effort getting it how you want it to bail in a climate where in all likelihood you would get shafted against its value if you got out of it. Because it is so close to parts-correct and visually on the proverbial money for a car with low enough production numbers that a genuine copy will always be desirable, in better times I can see your car being worth far more than it would be now.

As for the other half of the discussion, that boils back to the matter of what the outlook is for your personal wealth over the period for which you would keep it. You only need to consider the short term market if you expect that you will have to liquidate it in that time frame. Since (from your YouTube channel {to which I subscribe}) your line of business caters to what the banking trade calls "ultra high net worth individuals", I personally suspect that you will be significantly less exposed than most. If you don't anticipate becoming jobless then the current economic situation is not your fight and you can step back and take a broader view.

The last time that we had the kind of economic shock that is about to happen was around 2008. People - in general - mostly stopped buying so many cars, including exotic niches. Production numbers were consequentially uncharacteristically low. The years that followed were the likes of the 997.2 GT3, 3.8RS and GT2RS. So they didn't make many. So in the long term - it didn't exactly do harm to the residuals. Now I am certainly not saying that if you buy one then you aren't going to lose money, but what I will say is that if you go ahead then across the medium to long term you probably aren't going to lose as much to depreciation as you were on course to do before the Covid crisis kicked off. So as long as you don't end up unemployed enough to have to liquify assets (which I somewhat doubt is likely) then you are objectively quids in if you proceed.

Consider - the roadmap for the Boxster has been declared to ultimately be electric. There aren't going to be many more generations of these, so it is a matter of if not now then you may not get too many more chances...

Alternatives is an interesting discussion. Though I do feel an irrational compulsion to throw a little shade of what you have mentioned as up for consideration. McLaren ownership costs are still very much real enough to scare me off and they are probably not exactly at a plateau for falling value. 991 Porsches are still at a point on the depreciation curve where they really could still end up losing you more total money that you stand to depreciate on a new Boxster 4.0. And as for the California - to even suggest it I wonder if you have yet seen a Portofino in the metal? The first time I saw one of those, the Cali became simply the car that nobody really wants. If you park a Cali anywhere near a Portofino then your car suddenly isn't what you actually want and you immediately resent its Ferrari sized bills for its less than pretty styling... ?

That is what my afternoon bottle of Merlot says anyway (cooked a full roast for dinner today, thus that is the done thing at chez moi).

:?:

Re: Not sure about buying this Boxster in this current clima

isysman said:
Fellas,

I'm having second thoughts about buying this new Boxster GTS 4.0 in the current climate. I've seen some videos on YouTube about this subject and also they have been talking about the slump in the price of used cars.

I've been going through ads and I can see some great bargains to be had for what I would pay for my new BGTS.

Ferrari Califorina T £82k
McLaren 570 Coupe £89k
991 Carrera S Cab (3.0 Gen.2)£65k
2014 991 Turbo S Cab £79k

Now some of these cars would not be practical replacements for my 981 Boxster S which is when I'm home my daily. My lady has suggested selling my 911 'GT2RS' and replacing it with one of these cars and keeping the Boxster as a daily.

I've wondered about selling both cars and buying one of the above for special and a Cayenne/Macan for daily.

I go right around until I'm back to buying the new Boxster. I even float selling my house so I can get a larger garage! Haha

Suggestions on a postcard to TISWAS, BBC House, London, or post comment under here...

Your lady has suggested what!!?? I'd keep that GT2RS replica if I were you. Enjoy it. You'll need counselling if you sell that

https://youtu.be/LS37SNYjg8w :sad:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back