Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Major noise from rear....giant kazoo

justk2020

Trainee
Hi,

Appreciate any help

My 2004 996tt has developed a major noise at the rear. It's there from ignition/idle and seems to diminish somewhat at speed. It seems to get worse or vary....even at standstilll when i move the steering wheel.

I have also noticed some unidentified leaks from the middle/frontish of the car.

Could this level of noise...unbearable vibrating/kazoo-like be something to do with power steering pump? Are there other potential causes...at first i honestly thought my air filter had something trapped to make a kazoo or that it was loose. Belts and pulleys? Lifters?

Note...i had parked it with no noticeable noise and the noise was there at start up 8 hrs later.

Any help appreciated

Cheers, Karl

I noticed that when my power steering oil ran dry there was a whining noise that was linked to the clutch and apparently the p/s motor is linked to the clutch. Best thing to do is check the level of your p/s oil first.

There's a decent chance that it's PAS rack/return pipe related, the symptoms sound similar to what I'd dealing with at the moment.

Thanks all

I did get a note on rack lines corroded....so deifnitely prime suspect.

Hopefully just low on fluid and nothing damaged ...will get pipes/leak checked to

Cheers, karl

Does the turbo have coil pack covers? On a different car the coil pack cover was only securely fixed one end and it was like a tuning fork at certain revs!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back