Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car trouble, various issues, UPDATE, engine rebuild required

So hopefully I can put this thread to bed, the hot starting seems to have gone all together now, I have just left the 944 battery connected for the time being as the 944 is garaged and not being used at the moment. I think I will just buy a new battery once the 944 starts getting some use again.

After I had covered 1000 miles running it in and doing a few runs out I covered 1500 miles to Harris island and back, I've never been to this island and I can say it is stunning and worth the very long drive to get there.

And last week I have been back up to see Wayne at Chipwizards and the issues I had before on its last rolling road session have been fixed and no new faults were found.

He ran the car initially and I was getting 350bhp from the previous run of 326 with the faults present but once he has spent a bit of time fine tuning he managed an impressive 363bhp at 6550 and 337 lbft torques from a standard 320bhp and 273 lbft torque. The new torque figure peaks around 3840 revs and has the car sitting at 83 mph at this time, the pull from 70-80 mph onward's is spectacular and takes some self control to keep the speeds down.

One other surprise was I am now getting 31 mpg from a previous 23mpg, which I thought was due to me running it in when I was getting 33mpg but after 2500 miles of mixed roads including mountain passes it is showing an average of 31mpg which really is a surprise and after these 2500 miles I have not used a drop of oil.
I can see the engine paying for itself with just the fuel and oil I would have ordinarily been putting in to run it, I was going to do the maths to see when it would have paid for itself but I suspect it'll be a very long time?

Amazed at the levels of both skill and determination you displayed throughout the entire process... :worship: :worship: :worship:

Great news! I haven't checked mpg to much. I know it doesn't like the school run but on longer runs with an easy right foot, mine will get about 30mpg.

Agree on the pull from 70mph + ... third gear is very quick, fourth gear is like the old third. Lots of oomph but controllable acceleration on the road.

Mine didn't used about half a litre in 4000 miles of running in, but most of that was due to a tiny sump seep. That is now re-sealed by Hartech.

I think your alpine tours will be much more fun now. Best of luck with it.

So would you say that all your hard work and trials & tribulations have been worth it?!
:D
:thumb:

Great result infra. Cake and eating it as well :thumb:

These amazing improvements in economy have actually been confirmed by 3.4 to 3.7 owners as well as 3.6 to 3.9 ones and started us thinking about why and how the amazing improvements (of 10-30% on average) also directly mean a reduction in Greenhouse gasses as well and therefore contribute hugely to the health of the environment.

I anticipated that the way we designed the capacity increases would create an improvement in Volumetric efficiency (and reduced the geometric C/R a little to compensate) but we never anticipated it would be so large.

As a result we have been involved in a research and development project to dramatically improve the economy of our Porsche engines for the last 3 years and as we researched more and more the things we discovered were truly ground breaking and revealed that the whole scientific community researching engine performance data have been missing the main point for decades and applying thousands of hours and money chasing the wrong outcomes.

Our further investigations then revealed an explanation that opened up a can of worms about the way testing and research projects have been undertaken Worldwide for decades that seemed to have missed an obvious direction to explore and that we took up.

The outcome is the prospect that we can improve that economy even more in the future and will be able to build the changes into future rebuilds at minimal additional cost which in turn also reduces greenhouse gas emissions proportionally. Our hope is that with petrol prices (and taxes) inevitably increasing in the years ahead, this will help preserve the opportunity and affordability to use our cars for longer and resist legislation that might be brought in to handicap their use.

However this breakthrough is also applicable to most ICE manufacture and re-manufacture Worldwide and therefore there is a much bigger scale of potential benefits than we can exploit in our own small business and so the invention is now the subject of a Worldwide patent while we consider ways to benefit the global reduction in greenhouse gas productions while protecting our invention.

It has become a huge undertaking that is stretching our resources but has such potential for global application - while we are working on the project we are also trying to protect the principle while exploring ways to disseminate it for wider exploitation.

More about this will gradually be released in the months ahead but it is at least a small light at the end of an otherwise dismal tunnel looking into the future that might help cheer everyone up a bit by minimising the negative impact of future predictions and help us continue to enjoy the performance of proper fuel burning throbbing engines for longer!

Baz

Thanks all, it has been a bit taxing at times, the engine rebuild itself is something I enjoy but the niggling issues afterwards were the main PITA.

I think the car delivers in a more modern way now with the torque delivery and I have had a few cars, as usual, trying it on with my 996 and a lot of more modern hot hatches kept up even though they probably had less BHP but it now seems to be pulling away more than before, leaving a noticeable distance.

And to Baz, thanks for all your help with this rebuild and when we sat and chatted before I had decided which way to go with this, you mentioned the fuel consumption would be better, something I didn't really care about and I did think it was a bit of sales patter but seeing it now getting 8 mpg more, I am more than impressed that a larger capacity can yield lower consumption, seeing is indeed believing. You did explain the whole technical reasons why this happens but being a layman I can't really remember the concept behind it? Good luck with getting some backing on this.

The car will be taken on it's first proper drive back out to where all it's issues started tomorrow so we'll see if it keeps up, to some extent, with some more modern and powerful machines and a few well set up aircooled motors.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back