Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hi - new 993 cab owner here

moo75x

Monza
Hi - I am now the proud owner of a 993 cab - 1994 tip c2 in polar, blue interior and black hood with cup2 wheels - I already have the turbo twists ready to go on and a new bremen stereo to go in too - replaced the bonnet stays, also switched the clear indicators back to orange. Just had a fortune spent on it down at AutoUmbau - Robin clearly knows his stuff!!!!
Got a few little jobs to do - including try to swap the stone guards, replacing headlamp glass and also attempting the fog light repaint. Other than that it will be a decent clean up, maybe a DA polishing and then enjoy! Once I get her on the road - reluctant to pay tax in this crappy weather.

Any advice or suggestion of a job that could be needed?

Thanks

Attachments

• dsc04482_161.jpg
    dsc04482_161.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,393
Congratulations. Those painted Cup IIs look rather nice IMO.

Of all the ££££ I've shovelled into mine over the last 6 months, I'd say the suspension refresh was easily the best spent.

Paulb33 said:
Congratulations. Those painted Cup IIs look rather nice IMO.

Of all the ££££ I've shovelled into mine over the last 6 months, I'd say the suspension refresh was easily the best spent.

Thanks - I have thought of the suspension getting looked at but given I haven't done more than 5 miles in her yet figured I would look at that in the summer and assess with a few miles behind me.

Congratulations on your new 993 ownership and welcome to the group.

Your new car looks fantastic but I'm a bit biased as a fellow cab owner.

If your car is still on it original shock absorbers then I would also vote for the suspension refresh. I thought my car handled quite well but I renewed all 4 shock absorbers and the front springs last year long with all the bushes and it really transformed the ride.

Are you planning to do some decent mileage in it or is it just a toy for occasional use?

A993LAD said:
Congratulations on your new 993 ownership and welcome to the group.

Your new car looks fantastic but I'm a bit biased as a fellow cab owner.

If your car is still on it original shock absorbers then I would also vote for the suspension refresh. I thought my car handled quite well but I renewed all 4 shock absorbers and the front springs last year long with all the bushes and it really transformed the ride.

Are you planning to do some decent mileage in it or is it just a toy for occasional use?

Thank you - I dont really do many miles - tried to push the Taycan to do the miles and not managed 9000 on that in a year, and thats even with a drive to Luxembourg....... I do hope to get some miles done in the 993 but it wont be a great amount - I work at home so dont really do the daily driver thing.

What suspension have you guys gone for - I have seen a lot of good reviews on a bilstein 11 or something. I would have to checkback through the swathes of history for the car to check whats been done and when............will be a long job!!!!

My car is is maintained and serviced by Northways near Reading so I just went with the suspension that Ray at Northways recommended which I think was Koni special active.

I just wanted something that handled well on our crappy potholed British cart track roads.

A993LAD said:
My car is is maintained and serviced by Northways near Reading so I just went with the suspension that Ray at Northways recommended which I think was Koni special active.

I just wanted something that handled well on our crappy potholed British cart track roads.

LOL fair point - I have just gone through the history file and it states suspension was replaced by JAZ in 2015 but its only done about 1800 miles since then - had a koni set up fitted so hoping thats still OK given the relative lack of use

Lovely looking 993 and sounds like it has been looked after well.
A cab version of mine, 94 L in Polar and silver/black wheels :thumbs:

Great picture of it in the snow too

It wasn't by any chance you who messaged me about the brake light spoiler a few weeks back was it?

Martin

mashby said:
Lovely looking 993 and sounds like it has been looked after well.
A cab version of mine, 94 L in Polar and silver/black wheels :thumbs:

Great picture of it in the snow too

It wasn't by any chance you who messaged me about the brake light spoiler a few weeks back was it?

Martin

Hi Martin

It is indeed me that messaged you! That's some memory you've got there!

I'm still in two minds about the spoiler still to be honest but for the moment going to focus on a few cosmetic bits to sharpen her up.

Swapping the wheels though for turbo twist when I get the time, they're sat in the garage waiting!

I remembered it was Polar and you mentioned the distinctive wheels.

The new lenses and fog lamp refresh will transform the front end. I refurbished my fogs and new headlamps a couple of years ago and it looks so much better :thumbs:

I've just made and fitted some new stone shields too after having the rear quarters painted.
They look as good as the OE ones I paid a small fortune for last time.

The spoiler will probably end up on the wall in the garage. Wired up of course :grin:

mashby said:
I remembered it was Polar and you mentioned the distinctive wheels.

The new lenses and fog lamp refresh will transform the front end. I refurbished my fogs and new headlamps a couple of years ago and it looks so much better :thumbs:

I've just made and fitted some new stone shields too after having the rear quarters painted.
They look as good as the OE ones I paid a small fortune for last time.

The spoiler will probably end up on the wall in the garage. Wired up of course :grin:[/quote

That's a brilliant memory though!

I'vebought the stone guards but again in two minds whether or not to get one of the rear quarters painted first. I am thinking of swapping and trying to flat and polish the suspect pqint job, i can only screw it up i guess lol.

]

Lovely car and a great purchase. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on comparing your Taycan and 993.

Regarding suspension, there are so many options and many people will be happy to take your money. A trip to CenterGravity will be well worth it for an unbiased opinion.

Based on my experience I would have an expert take a very close look at the front windscreen surround. It can hide potential horrors - as can the rear chassis legs. I know these aren't glamorous compared to suspension, exhaust and performance upgrades. however they ensure the long term viability of the car

Hi and welcome from another tip C2 cab owner. :thumb:

You may want to check your soft top drive and closing motors as well as the drive mechanisms for the top. There was a recall on the locking motors some years back as some tops was opening while driving. I had mine replaced FOC by Porsche Alicante here in Spain back in 2012. However, I had no problems prior to Porsche changing my motors. These parts are not cheap and a look to see that everything is tight and lubricated won't go a miss.

ATB :)

hopeydaze said:
Lovely car and a great purchase. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on comparing your Taycan and 993.

Regarding suspension, there are so many options and many people will be happy to take your money. A trip to CenterGravity will be well worth it for an unbiased opinion.

Based on my experience I would have an expert take a very close look at the front windscreen surround. It can hide potential horrors - as can the rear chassis legs. I know these aren't glamorous compared to suspension, exhaust and performance upgrades. however they ensure the long term viability of the car

Thanks for the advice - it appears the rear legs were replaced in 2015 and there is no sign of anything untoward with the windscreen other than a little overspray signalling someone has already taken a look at this at some point - it might be a thing to take a look at in a few years but for now it will be fine for me I reckon.

I think the taycan will be the better car without doubt the thing is sensational - but the 993 will have the soul and spirit of Porsche - the taycan tries but it really needs the noise - before the taycan I had an X5M which was incredible and I loved the pops and bangs from the V8, but my dogs didnt hence the change to electric. Oh, that and tax incentives which are slowly being eroded - who knows, when they tax it too much the 993 may become my daily (although more like twice a week) drive..........

hopeydaze said:

Thanks for the advice - it appears the rear legs were replaced in 2015 and there is no sign of anything untoward with the windscreen other than a little overspray signalling someone has already taken a look at this at some point - it might be a thing to take a look at in a few years but for now it will be fine for me I reckon.

I think the taycan will be the better car without doubt the thing is sensational - but the 993 will have the soul and spirit of Porsche - the taycan tries but it really needs the noise - before the taycan I had an X5M which was incredible and I loved the pops and bangs from the V8, but my dogs didnt hence the change to electric. Oh, that and tax incentives which are slowly being eroded - who knows, when they tax it too much the 993 may become my daily (although more like twice a week) drive..........

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back