Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Happy new owner

Loko

Trainee
Hi folks!

Just wanted to introduce myself as a happy new 911 owner.

It feels like it's been a long time coming from a Porsche fanatic but after finally saving enough to buy one, I've purchased a 911. I had a Boxster S Anniversary Edition for several years some time ago but sold it, I was sad to see it go and sometimes regret selling it. We made lots of road trips in it, visited the Nürburgring several times (I go over yearly every summer!) and did several European road trips including an epic Alps tour (Swiss, Austrian, Italian and French) driving up and down many passes including Stelvio (though that wasn't my favourite). Here's a picture of the old Boxster.

A few weekend cars in between I'm now back in a Porsche and she's a keeper (unless I save enough in the future to buy a 997 gen2 GT3 Clubsport!). It's hard to explain in words, but I'm sure fellow owners can relate to the car just 'feeling right'. The only other car I've had that gave me that feeling was an E46 M3. I'd been looking for a 911 for a while but found the right spec I was after and more importantly, the right condition. I'm extremely OCD when it comes to my cars and just couldn't fault it.

She's a 997 gen2 Carrera S, from 2010, manual box (the only way!). Very low mileage at 25k and just two prior owners, one from new and then the second bought her as an approved used car in 2013. Looking at the history printout from my local OPC, she had extended warranty for 3 years (2 as the approved car and then 1 year bought by the owner thereafter). Full service history at OPC, including a 40k mile service with spark plugs 2 years ago @ 21k miles, 4 off new tyres at 22k miles. Dealer's called and confirmed work done and invoices present in the file. Also, armed with my trusted Durametric cable during one of my pre-purchase inspection visits I recorded 295 ignitions in Range 1 (that's 0.8 seconds) and 5 ignitions in Range 2 (that's 1.3 miliseconds) in the 887 hours it's run. All good.

Spec is as follows:
Basalt black with black leather
Sport Seats
Sports Chrono Plus
Porsche Sports Exhaust
Park assist Rear
BOSE
PCM with telephone module + Universal Media Interface
Multi-function Sports Steering Wheel

A few personalised factory fitted options also include:
Clear rear lights
Black finish for door trim, dash trim, gearbox trim & seatbelt B-pillar trim

The only thing she's missing for me is the Cruise Control which OPC quoted at £545 fitted. I'll have this done since we do a lot of long road trips in Europe as mentioned so it's a must. I would have loved a X51 car or GTS but they just don't come up for sale! If a stroke of madness hits me, I may end up retrofitting that in the future, who knows.

Condition all round is fantastic, interior is immaculate including the driver's seat. Paint is also excellent with only a the odd touched up stone ship. She needs a good detailing session which I'll do myself in a few days. I'm curious to see how soft Porsche paint actually is. A quick pic before I do that and upload some after shots.

Some initial driving impressions, well they're just all round beautiful driver's cars. I've driven quite a few 911's in my time thanks to my wonderful wife spoiling me with lots of trips to Porsche related activities (including the Driving Experience Centre in Silverstone and a factory tour & 991 lap session in Leipzig!). It immediately feels like home, and it makes you aware the weight is at the back and that you have to manage that weight. Steering is delicate & communicative. The driving position is excellent. The pedals are positioned just right for heel & toe work. Even the gear shift is quite lovely. The throw is a little long for my liking. I will be fitting a GT3 shifter to it in the very near future. I was surprised how noticeable the difference between PASM sport and normal was. Perhaps it's the bumpy roads around our area but it feels much more supple and conforming (read faster) around the bends in normal.

A few other OEM mods planned since I will be taking out Porsche warranty in August, I had it for 4 years on my Boxster and the service and peace of mind was fantastic. Otherwise I'm just looking forward to a few track days and those long involving drives we like to take our cars on.

:welcome: to 911uk and (at last) to 911 ownership. :thumb:

A great intro' and nice pics of a lovely car.

Thanks

T8 said:

Thanks

Thanks!! I see you have a Turbo, I pondered for a long time whether to get a gen1 turbo or a gen2 C2S and finally got swayed by the puritan rear wheel drive approach to life and surrender ultimate eye ball bleeding straight line performance!

Loko said:
T8 said:

Thanks

Thanks!! I see you have a Turbo, I pondered for a long time whether to get a gen1 turbo or a gen2 C2S and finally got swayed by the puritan rear wheel drive approach to life and surrender ultimate eye ball bleeding straight line performance!

Mistake - Big mistake !! Can't beat a turbo!! :D
Through bloodshot eyes looks like you have found a great car though :thumbs:

Congratulations on the new car, sounds like you've picked the car that's right for you, enjoy :)

Looks a slinky little minx in black :thumb:

Welcome Buddy.
Your car looks mint & i'm sure you'll keep it that way.
Enjoy :thumbs:

marconorth said:
Welcome Buddy.

Thanks! Yes I plan to. In fact, already planning the 6 year service due in August. Minor, brake fluid change, air con service, drive belt.

Hopefully it comes back with a clean bill of health and then will look into a 111 point check and 2 year Porsche warranty.

Other than that, plenty of driving and detailing! :thumbs:

Ernie McCracken said:
Looks a slinky little minx in black :thumb:

You sir have good taste. Carrera GT Silver and Cocoa leather, that's what my Anniversary Boxster was in. Best colour combo across the range hands down. :worship:

welcome Loko, great first thread look forward to hearing more from you :grin: :thumb:

Lovely car, great spec :thumb: :thumb:

More pics!

Loko said:
marconorth said:
Welcome Buddy.

Thanks! Yes I plan to. In fact, already planning the 6 year service due in August. Minor, brake fluid change, air con service, drive belt.

Hopefully it comes back with a clean bill of health and then will look into a 111 point check and 2 year Porsche warranty.

Great intro and lovely car - looks like you are a Porsche fanatic!

When you do the minor service, if you get the warranty added at the same time - they should knock some £ off. Also, ask about fixed price servicing rather than "menu price" - I think I saved over £400 when I had my recent major service and warranty added.

Enjoy the car. Looks like you already are!

RedJedi said:
Loko said:
marconorth said:
Welcome Buddy.

Great intro and lovely car - looks like you are a Porsche fanatic!

When you do the minor service, if you get the warranty added at the same time - they should knock some £ off. Also, ask about fixed price servicing rather than "menu price" - I think I saved over £400 when I had my recent major service and warranty added.

Enjoy the car. Looks like you already are!

Good advice, thanks. Nottingham OPC have always been great for me so hoping they haven't changed.

Looks great, congrats :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back