Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 - Potential Purchase

Any idea which black one you guys are talking about? Is it the Aberdeen car at Morrisons?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90825

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 17 November 2006
Ade,
dont you think that a modded car is a dangerous proposition if you are not a megga wealthy person, the wtty wont cover anything, and around the mileage that people are getting rid of them, problems will not have become apparent.
hence an un modded for me, me thinks.
anyone who can afford modded car, and running cost would consider new. :)
I don't think so - the appeal of the 996GT3 over the 997 model is that it is a purer mechanical machine with no electronic aids. Also, the performance gains of the 997 model are not significant enough for many of the current people to upgrade at a cost of 40-50k.

I think the people upgrading are either a) mega wealthy and/or b) tired of their 996 model and looking to move on to something a bit newer.

One of the most heavily modified GT3 in the UK (afaik) was snapped up within a week. That car had done almost 60k miles and had no warranty. It was, without a doubt, one of the most desirable cars bar none. The buyer of that car could easily have bought a new car, but people who know will know that the properly modded cars are worth a premium over standard cars. As it stands, the standard 996GT3 is almost on par with the 997GT3 in terms of statistical performance (even at the hands of Herr Rohrl!), and the modded cars are as quick if not even quicker. That 60k mile modded GT3 was as quick as a Cup Car around Donny, yet as refined/useable as any normal GT3.

OTOH, most GT3s have low-to-middle mileage because the car is not a car you necessarily will do long distance/commuter mileage in on a regular basis. There are better cars which do that job. Many GT3s are used only for the track hence low mileage, but they have also been overserviced. I know several owners who do a full oil change after every 3 trackdays - or about one oil change every 1500 miles. Tranny and diff oils also tend to get changed frequently on the GT3 - perhaps once a year. So the overall condition of kept GT3s are frequently in much higher condition than other day-to-day/school-run 996s.

GT3s aren't indefatigable... I promise you that once you get a GT3, you start wanting better things for the car to make it even more superlative... even Rob's done the Alcon upgrade although it isn't tracked frequently... why? because you WANT to... :wink:
And trust me... you will WANT to!!! :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90826

I do want to,

dont worry,

on my desk are several sheets with GT3's for sale lol,

proves my point re the modded car though, bought by a wealthy guy, lol

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90830

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 17 November 2006I do want to,
dont worry,
on my desk are several sheets with GT3's for sale lol,
proves my point re the modded car though, bought by a wealthy guy, lol
I've seen that car in the flesh. It looked quite nice and tidy when I saw it during the summer. Worth a look as it won't hang around very long. A bargain at that price.

And besides, I need to update my sig pic with another colour!!! :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90834

Mind you, that X50 TT above it ticks all your boxes!!! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90836

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 17 November 2006
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 17 November 2006Ade,
dont you think that a modded car is a dangerous proposition if you are not a megga wealthy person, the wtty wont cover anything, and around the mileage that people are getting rid of them, problems will not have become apparent.
hence an un modded for me, me thinks.
anyone who can afford modded car, and running cost would consider new. :)

[/i:D2uBShO0fd]
I don't think so - the appeal of the 996GT3 over the 997 model is that it is a purer mechanical machine with no electronic aids. Also, the performance gains of the 997 model are not significant enough for many of the current people to upgrade at a cost of 40-50k.

I think the people upgrading are either a) mega wealthy and/or b) tired of their 996 model and looking to move on to something a bit newer.

One of the most heavily modified GT3 in the UK (afaik) was snapped up within a week. That car had done almost 60k miles and had no warranty. It was, without a doubt, one of the most desirable cars bar none. The buyer of that car could easily have bought a new car, but people who know will know that the properly modded cars are worth a premium over standard cars. As it stands, the standard 996GT3 is almost on par with the 997GT3 in terms of statistical performance (even at the hands of Herr Rohrl!), and the modded cars are as quick if not even quicker. That 60k mile modded GT3 was as quick as a Cup Car around Donny, yet as refined/useable as any normal GT3.

OTOH, most GT3s have low-to-middle mileage because the car is not a car you necessarily will do long distance/commuter mileage in on a regular basis. There are better cars which do that job. Many GT3s are used only for the track hence low mileage, but they have also been overserviced. I know several owners who do a full oil change after every 3 trackdays - or about one oil change every 1500 miles. Tranny and diff oils also tend to get changed frequently on the GT3 - perhaps once a year. So the overall condition of kept GT3s are frequently in much higher condition than other day-to-day/school-run 996s.

GT3s aren't indefatigable... I promise you that once you get a GT3, you start wanting better things for the car to make it even more superlative... even Rob's done the Alcon upgrade although it isn't tracked frequently... why? because you WANT to... :wink:
And trust me... you will WANT to!!! :D

Who's car was this Ade ??, someone from titanic ??

G.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90865

You know the car well G - it was Russell's! Now with John C.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90867

we all in the same boat,

dont think you will find a good one for that price unless its a Mk1, and then, you have to put up with less power, worse build quality , poorer brakes, and older trim.

For a very few thousand more , you can have a Mk2

Dons hard hat (Ade you know i am only teasing) :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90903

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
(rolls up sleeves, cracks knuckles... :wink: )

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90905

lol, gets his swithblade out, humming Resovouir Dogs musig :twisted: :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90909

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 15 November 2006

is it worth getting one of them

i agree with your statement re the 52 to 55, do you think the Opc is the place to get one of them

I have the gauges mate. Got one that eveen plots graphs now and you can download the results. When you find one you want ill il check it for you if you like.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90910

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andewcb
Back