Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 gt3 - entry level price.

From a "feels special" point of view, the Mezger GT3 is ahead of any GT4 except maybe the RS.
But, and it's a big but, you are looking at a 20-24 year old car with a lot of potential bills just behind the corner.
A GT4 you can buy with Porsche approved, turn the key and drive off while most likely not having to give any thought to the mechanical/technical/maintenance part of the car.

A 996 GT3 that is 20 years old is everything but that and if you are not that interested in the technical details of the car, I would not recommend buying one.
What I mean by being interested in the technical part is that there are subjects that need addressing, and if you just leave a clean sheet to the OPC you'll be looking at a bill that easily rockets past the 4 figures, depending on the cars condition.

1. Limited slip diff (does it work, if not, what should you get?)
  2. All the coolant pipes front to rear
  3. Collant pipes pinning, or just re-glue? Or since you don't track it, wait until they pop out and call road assistance.
  4. Gears (MK1 is more fragile in the first 3 gears)
  5. Engine mounts
  6. Gearbox mounts
  7. Dampers: are they good? If not, rebuild or go after market?
  8. Brake calliper servicing necessary?
  9. Clutch
  10. Wheel hub and bearings
  11. Driveshaft
  12. MAF sensor
  13. Air conditioning (condenser)
  14. ...
I am not saying that any car you buy needs addressing of all those points, but, besides the normal servicing of the car, they are all issues I was confronted with during my ownership of 2 GT3's over the last 4 years (except gearbox for now, but they both were/are MK2).
As you can imagine, not everybody is looking forward to reading and searching for information online on how to fix (or preventing from breaking down) his newly acquired 60k+ Porsche.

In my case, I wanted a 996 GT3 because I wanted a car that provides maximum driver involvement in which to do more trackdays in, and I didn't want to further modify (strip out) my E46M3 and decided to sell it instead. But I really feel very passionate about going to the track, improving the car, and talking with my friends about setups and other technical stuff. If you are that guy, then a 996 GT3 can be a great car for you.

The GT4 is however much easier to own and a more versatile car. You can easily use it for a Sunday drive or even a road trip, you can go to the track but also go pick up and impress girls downtown. Selling it after some time should also be easier.
The 996/7 GT3, as I see it, is more of a "car project" that you buy, but continuously need to "invest" in over time.

Long story short: Your conclusion about the market being at 70k is not 100% accurate, because the only thing you get for that is maybe a good history, but it still is a 20 year old car, and my above list still applies, even if the car didn't have a respray, small damage or has low mileage.

Hi.

Yes I understand and thanks for the honest view. Fyi I'm quite happy to get stuck in..I've owned various TVRs and ran a single seat sprint/hillclimb car for 10 years which entailed various detonated engines, corners and wings being lost to hedgerows and recticel, endless suspension set ups, everything being bespoke etc so I'm not averse to this and to some degree enjoy it..

Obviously a road car is different as the effort is not in the pursuit of lap times and therefore I'd want something that is on the road more than its on the ramps..On my 987 I fitted new exhaust/manifolds etc myself and researched/purchased LWFW, Wavetrac diff etc so I'm still OK with this side of ownership but I just want to avoid buying a car for £65k that instantly needs a load of work as it's not really a £65k car at all..

As has been said a good PPI sounds like a must if i was to find a GT3 for this money that's purporting to be "good". I wouldnt expect it to be the best but would want to know whats about to fail or looks like will need replacing before i even get it home..

A GT4 is likely to be a much safer bet and this does appeal.

I'll get moving with the Exige sale and keep my eyes peeled for the right car in the meantime..

Thanks for the advice..

Ed

If you are happy to get stuck in (and have the time & facilities), then you will enjoy a 996 GT3.

Good luck with the Exige sale and finding a good GT3 within your budget (y)

Interesting to see this one sell at £64,500 ish inc fees on CC. Looks pretty good on the face of it but appreciate a ppi could flag issues.

I've taken a deposit on the Exige which hopefully gets collected next week so will start searching in earnest then. Still swaying towards GT4 for the aforementioned reasons but will keep my eyes peeled for anything similar to this..

just because a CC has been 'timed' sold on CC, is not a measure of where the market is

Do you mean it's not sold? I believe a dealer bought it according to a PH thread. Not sure if it's where the market I or not but seemed a good buy..

Do you mean it's not sold? I believe a dealer bought it according to a PH thread. Not sure if it's where the market I or not but seemed a good buy..
it was a good buy
buying an older GT car needs more of an inspection IMHO

Yes I agree. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable buying anything at auction. You pays your money you take your chance I suppose..Could be a bit of a bargain, could need £10k+ spending on it..

Yes I agree. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable buying anything at auction. You pays your money you take your chance I suppose..Could be a bit of a bargain, could need £10k+ spending on it..
there lies the issue with CC, which many have found out, nice pictures but you really gotta be sure what you are buying

If you treat CC as posh Ebay without any of the guardrails you won't have any nasty surprises. I was peripherally involved in one last year that was so vastly different to the description & pictures (which it turned out were over a year old!) that it bordered on fraud. CC & seller totally uninterested. No different to buying a car off a shady geezer in a layby at night...

Hopefully my old thread here will give you a good appreciation of what to expect. https://911uk.com/threads/996-gt3-mk1.96201/

I’m on WhatsApp group with about 30 996 GT3 owners and happy to help with any questions or even look over one for you, having had 2 I’d like to think I could help!

Hi DV..

Many thanks for your reply. Great to look back at your old thread and congrats on some stunning work and yes it shows what level of work can be required to stay on top of them. I actually went to see Adams car, ( GT3 look ), in the past when he was selling it.., ( nice condition but I opted for an Evora 410 at the time as wanted a bit more fire power than a base M96 engined car ).

Since my original post I've continued to look at GT4 as a safer bet but have been keeping an eye on GT3 too..I've not seen anything particularly tempting as most cars are either a bit flakey or generally beyond my budget. That said there was a nice looking car popped on AT a couple of weeks ago at £69,900 however I think it's now heading to Ashgood and up at £74k, ( could be wrong but if same car not sure if SOR ? ). I was half tempted to go and look at it but it's black and tbh since owning my Evora that was black I've promised myself I'm not going there again...

Thanks very much for your offer of assisting with an inspection. If ever something that looks tidy crops up in budget, ( that's not black ), I might just drop you a line..

Cheers,

Ed

Really not a great place to sell one imho… won’t make £60k, I reckon £55k if it’s lucky judging on the 996.1 CS that just sold.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back