Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Few Drops of Green Fluid

Jam911

Albert Park
Is there an easy easy to see if my coolant tank is leaking?

Went to the car today and there are a few drops of green fluid on floor.

It looks like a leak that has run along the edge of the rear PU and dripped to the floor in a couple of places.

I checked the coolant tank and it is at the low mark.

I ran the car up to temp and couldn't see a large leak. so this leads me to believe the coolant tank may have given up.

It is the original coolant tank.

Thanks

My coolant is pink.
Green sounds like power steering fluid.
It has a distinctive smell too...

drmark said:
My coolant is pink.
Green sounds like power steering fluid.

Yup, Porsche's official coolant for the 997 is pink.

But the OP said they checked the coolant tank, presumably they saw green antifreeze in there (for whatever reason).

Jam911 said:
Is there an easy easy to see if my coolant tank is leaking?
It looks like a leak that has run along the edge of the rear PU and dripped to the floor in a couple of places.

It could also be the coolant tank cap, and that's an easy one to replace.

I'd get a mirror and look around and behind for any coolant residue in the area. You might also spot a crack in the back of the tank. If coolant is leaking under pressure, it'll come out as a fine mist.

BTW, what is a 'rear PU' ?

Thanks.

Karl.

It's like the front PU, but at the back.

I'd call it a bumper.

Magic919 said:
It's like the front PU, but at the back.

I'd call it a bumper.

If green my money would still be on leak from power steering pump/ pipes / reservoir. Not unusual.
They are in the engine compartment at the back.

Thanks guys ...

...I am guessing it may be power steering fluid.

I will check the levels in the light.

The rear diff seals are leaking too, so it could be related, just waiting for the Spring to get it all sorted.

Picture of the underside and the drops on the floor would help a lot ..

My view .. if it is a power steering leak then its a bit of a .. repair now item .

Btw .. coolant tanks and the bottle when cracked can often be above the coolant level and as such you won't see an actual leak .. you look for white staining around the cylinder head that side ... or a pressure test with the equipment to confirm a leak .

Personally if the bottle is low the first thing i would check are the front crossover pipes .

I will post a pic if it happens again but unfortunately I cleaned it up...

It could also be air conditioning leak dye. I had a small leak in an AC line and when on the hunt for it they put in a sealer and dye solution which was green so you can spot any leaks. This could have been used in the past?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back