Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 GTS Coolant Leak - Photos attached

Squelch, cracking idea that clamp. Being a pedant , will you allow me a couple of observations? The piece on the right is clamped down securely by the centre bolt. The piece on the left will have a tendency especially if it has corrosion growing on it to lift as the ends are not really clamped down as you can't use washers as there is a pipe there ! Try turning it upside down and extending 'ears" along the left piece to provide a more effective clamp force. Just an idea , feel free to say boll**ks :grin:

Edit spelling mistakes bcct :dont know:

An update and a fix – 'Like and subscribe to find out more!" (Sorry, too much Yoochoob!)

First and foremost, a huge 'Thank you" to deMort for bringing the clamp to my attention! (deMort, I've sent you a message to arrange a charitable donation / lager / cider delivery of your preference)

It's actually a very simple job – very straight forward and access to the bolts is good.

Regarding my idea of a two-piece clamp to go all the way around the pipe's flange – upon closer inspection, due to the inner radius of the flange's elbow, there probably isn't enough clearance to achieve this so I just went with Porsche's solution...

So, as deMort said, firstly undo the coolant cap to release any pressure in the system and replace it.

Using an E10 Female Torx Socket, gently release the bolts – loosen the upper two first since when you loosen the lower one, coolant will begin to drip. It didn't take much to loosen mine, so I guess they're not that tight from the factory (which figures, as they are on a plastic part). Once I'd loosened them all I fully removed the top two and then the bottom one at which point the dripping went from a drip, drip, drip to a constant line – not gushing out but a steady, thin run. So promptly put the clamp in place and insert the new, longer bolts.

This is where I got a little worried (translation: ***** myself) because none of the new bolts would thread. It kind of felt as if the threads were gummed up with something or worse, had previously been cross threaded! Anyway, I persevered and carefully applied a little pressure while turning with the ratchet (which I kept dropping due to my hand being covered in slippery coolant) and the threads did then take. Interestingly they remained fairly stiff, albeit smooth all the way, as if there's some kind of nylon insert or something in there (there probably isn't though).

A handy tip when working underneath and dealing with fluids that will inevitably follow gravity's orders all the way to your arm pit is to wrap / tie a cloth or length of blue roll around your 'vulnerable" wrist which will then catch any runs.

Anyway, tightening the bolts evenly while checking the clamp is nice and square, I nipped up the bolts to a respectable level and wiped it all dry.

I checked and topped up the coolant (about 100ml) and then fired it up. Back underneath, I then watched while dabbing with fresh blue roll and inspecting for any signs of seepage. Sadly, upon dabbing, there did seem to be a smidgen of evidence of moisture on the blue roll (the blue roll is great for highlighting damp spots as it goes dark – unlike white kitchen roll which is more difficult to spot).

Anyway, I wasn't happy, so set about nipping up each bolt. Obviously clamping down onto plastic isn't ideal and I was fearful of cracking the flange, but the clamp spreads the load so I probably went about another eighth of a turn on each bolt. Then fired it up again and let it idle for a bit and checked again. All clear so I went for a drive. Checked again, all ok. Another drive. Another check... you get the idea.

All good. All dry.

I took it for its MOT yesterday and then another quick run out. To my embarrassment the car's done 99 miles since last year's MOT and I've promised myself to get it out more this year!

Hopefully this write up may help someone else if they come across the same issue.

Attachments

• img_2115_190.jpeg
    img_2115_190.jpeg
    637.7 KB · Views: 1,601
  • img_2113_173.jpeg
    img_2113_173.jpeg
    596.5 KB · Views: 1,601
  • img_2100_149.jpeg
    img_2100_149.jpeg
    564.4 KB · Views: 1,601
  • img_2084_684.jpeg
    img_2084_684.jpeg
    585.6 KB · Views: 1,601
  • img_2078_456.jpeg
    img_2078_456.jpeg
    535.8 KB · Views: 1,601
  • img_2076_765.jpeg
    img_2076_765.jpeg
    585.6 KB · Views: 1,601
  • img_2074_144.jpeg
    img_2074_144.jpeg
    658.8 KB · Views: 1,601
  • img_2070_190.jpeg
    img_2070_190.jpeg
    954.8 KB · Views: 1,601
  • img_2064_973.jpeg
    img_2064_973.jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 1,601
Nice work and thanks for sharing the details of your fix!

Good job, well done, thanks for taking the time to update your thread squelch, and as ever thanks to deMort, where would we be without him.. :?:

I note that the replacement screws seem to be plated, whereas the original ones look as if they had not been and thus more corroded than those alongside in the earlier of your pics.. :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back