Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Faulty actuator causing over boost issues

Perfect911

Hi , guys due to my 997.1 turbo having overboost issues prior , I freed off the actuators and made sure the VGT turbines were moving freely , re greased and bought new actuator rods , re fitted with high temp grease etc , the car was running fine until today again , took my car back for mapping but then on route the exhaust note changed again , much louder this time and was as if the car was asking for full boost instantly no smooth and progressive as normal.
As I was ten mins away from my mapper (unicorn motorsport) he confirmed it was an actuator fault 🤦🏽"â™‚️.

So if you guys know of anyone with an actuator spare I believe it's bank 4-6 the drivers side that's the issue , also if possible does anyone know if you can strip them down and fix them? That or do they know of any aftermarket or upgraded ones the minimise this issue starting again?

Regards alex any info will be appreciated cheers

Try contacting some of the tuners, such as 9e and see if they any have old ones kicking about that have been left over from a turbo upgrade.
A new pair will cost you about £350.

The rods do seize hence the special grease used on servicing but i have seen a couple of actuators fail due to water ingress .. remove the wiring plug and you can see slight traces of green ( corrosion ) around one or two pins .

water and control units dont mix and usually are not a repair job .

Actuator test is ignition on and they fully cycle to the end stops .. you can either hear it or visually look whilst someone else turns the ignition on .

deMort said:
Actuator test is ignition on and they fully cycle to the end stops .. you can either hear it or visually look whilst someone else turns the ignition on .

Never knew that ^^^^ the things you learn... :thumb:

Nice one DeMort

deMort said:

Are they visible from just peaking under the car or does trim/ hardware need removing ?

They're pretty easy to see but you will need the car up on a ramp or axle stands to get a good look and have someone switch the ignition on and off, don't start the car! There's no covers over them, they're in the open.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back