Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Targa Roof / Hatch Issue

ap1818

Hello, I've been having a couple of issues with my 996 Targa roof. The service history includes receipts, plus a USB with lots of photos, for some major work on the roof in 2018 at Precision Porsche which is encouraging. I was hoping that deMort or anyone else could help impart some wisdom please.

1st Issue:
When pressing the button to close the roof, the roof sometimes stops closing - releasing the button and re-pressing the button gets the roof to move again. This issue seemed to be more prevalent in colder weather. The issue also seemed to get better with more regular use of the rear hatch.

2nd Issue:
When the button to open the rear hatch is pressed, sometimes the hatch does not pop up. There is a sound from the mechanism when the button is pressed. Sometimes it seems to try to open it, but it can't, then it pulls it back to a locked position. I have to help it up by lifting from the rear wiper pivot to get it to open.

I narrowed down these issues to a problem with the rear hatch latch assembly and micro-switches. The part number label on the rear latch assembly is dated 2002 so it would seem to be original - I assume the micro-switches are original too.

I removed the rear hatch latch assembly and found one of the micro-switch levers was kinked out of shape so I carefully flattened the lever and reassembled.

The result is, the roof closes without stopping so far. But the rear hatch still, sometimes, does not pop open.

What do you think the likely problem with the rear hatch not popping open is?
1) Faulty micro-switch in the rear hatch latch assembly - purchase new micro-switch loom?
2) Lubrication of rear hatch latch assembly - what type of grease would you suggest?
3) Gas struts
4) Anything other suggestions...

Thank you!

Well .. Well .. This is an interesting post that's for sure lol ..

The chances are i did the roof refurb back then !!! A picture below that might be your car ? i don't have any others from 2018 saved ( i use them for reference to help people ).

You would be the new owner i take it ?

First off with these roofs .. they have to be used .. i recommend at least once a month and more so if its kept outside in the rain .. in essence the steel cables sits in a steel guide tube in a damp environment .. if not used they Will rust together .

Never EVER Grease the channels or cables .. the roof is slow .. that's normal .

I saw many totally seized roofs after covid as they sat with not being used for upto a year or more ... id not seen any like this prior to covid .

Strange to say .. we have a world that can be described as pre and post Covid these days !!

Ok so this system .. the roof will not work if the hatch is open or the car thinks it is .. the hatch will not open if the roof is open or the car thinks it is .

A hatch micro switch partially engaged could in theory stop a roof from closing .. you have found and fixed this issue it seems and are left with a hatch that opens and then instantly closes i assume ?

Pretty simple fix .. the rubber grommets as per the picture , wind them out half a turn and try the hatch .. do this until the hatch pings open and stays open .

Btw .. you had or still have an old tracker fitted judging by the pictures if this is your car .. i have no idea if we removed it or not .

Attachments

• p5010026_193.jpg
    p5010026_193.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 690
  • p5010026_193.jpg
    p5010026_193.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 690
  • p5010003_156.jpg
    p5010003_156.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 690
  • p5010003_156.jpg
    p5010003_156.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 690
Brilliant, thank you deMort!

Yep the roof seems to work fine now. Correct, when I press the button the hatch opens and then instantly closes. I will give that a go and adjust the grommets.

My car's basalt black, here's a few pictures. Was it one of yours?

Attachments

• p6270031_545.jpg
    p6270031_545.jpg
    719 KB · Views: 674
  • p6270031_545.jpg
    p6270031_545.jpg
    719 KB · Views: 674
  • p6270035_190.jpg
    p6270035_190.jpg
    772.8 KB · Views: 675
  • p6270035_190.jpg
    p6270035_190.jpg
    772.8 KB · Views: 673
  • p6230018_100.jpg
    p6230018_100.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 673
  • p6230018_100.jpg
    p6230018_100.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 673
Yup .. that's one of mine .. my tools and my hand lol !

I dont have the images of your car saved though i'm afraid .. there is only a certain amount of pictures i need and after so many of these i stopped saving everyone of them .

I'm guessing yours was just a straight forward job so i felt no need to keep the images .

Wind the grommets out and you will be fine .. very common for the hatch to open and then close and this is the fix .

As mentioned .. use the roof once a month , have the engine running when operating the roof and you should be fine .

I always say to customers .. this job should only ever need doing once in a cars lifetime .. yes i don't replace every component so there is always the possibility of a seperate failure but in over 10 years of doing these .. i've not yet had one come back with a roof not working due to what i have replaced .

The only instance .. an unusual motor failure on what was a new motor when i carried out the refurb so i didn't replace it .

Garages often replace the motors as the first point of call ( along with greasing the cables ).. that will NEVER fix a roof issue .

Im guessing im pointing to a missing foot on the mechanism .. its ripped off basically .

Great, thanks again for the advice.

Glad the car was in good hands!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back