Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Turbo Boost Leak - SOLVED!

Re-opening an old thread just for some advice.

I was fitting new engine mounts yesterday, and after removing the Y-pipe and air box I need to move the intercooler to Y-pipe rubber hose out of the way a little. I noticed the left one was very loose, and with a very small tug it popped out from the hole in the rear wing and detached from the intercooler. After finishing the mounts, and with the hose simply pushed back in (I know there is meant to be a clip holding it in place), I went out for a drive to test out the new mounts but now with two things to check. I put the boost gauge on the dash and under full acceleration (in 2nd) I was only showing 0.3bar - I understand it is better to do this in 5th gear at 40mph full throttle so get a better reading, but under hard acceleration in 2nd I assume I should see a higher number?

I've felt the car was lacking a bit of poke, bear in mind I've only had it a month but it doesn't feel like the shove in the back I remember from my old one.

I've just bought some Do88 intercoolers and Y-pipe anyway, but keen to confirm if I have a boost leak before I fit them.

Yes you have a boost leak. When you fit new intercooler kit and y pipe put the car in 6th at 60mph in sport mode. Then give it full throttle. You should see 1.2 bar.

Re-opening an old thread just for some advice.

I was fitting new engine mounts yesterday, and after removing the Y-pipe and air box I need to move the intercooler to Y-pipe rubber hose out of the way a little. I noticed the left one was very loose, and with a very small tug it popped out from the hole in the rear wing and detached from the intercooler. After finishing the mounts, and with the hose simply pushed back in (I know there is meant to be a clip holding it in place), I went out for a drive to test out the new mounts but now with two things to check. I put the boost gauge on the dash and under full acceleration (in 2nd) I was only showing 0.3bar - I understand it is better to do this in 5th gear at 40mph full throttle so get a better reading, but under hard acceleration in 2nd I assume I should see a higher number?

I've felt the car was lacking a bit of poke, bear in mind I've only had it a month but it doesn't feel like the shove in the back I remember from my old one.

I've just bought some Do88 intercoolers and Y-pipe anyway, but keen to confirm if I have a boost leak before I fit them.
Pretty much summed up what got me started on investigation last year.

I imagine the reason it is suggested to use fourth or fifth gear at a low speed is that the turbos will be working hard to accelerate due to the gearing.

I’d say confidently you have a leak but there’s no point investigating at this point IMHO, get the new bits fitted and then try it. If the problem is solved you either had a hose not clamped down fully or a hole in an intercooler.

Came across this thread today as I’m suffering from a bit of pressure loss. I’ve got a 997.2 Turbo S and the boost gauge has always been like this - doesn’t seem to want to go over about 0.8 bar.

Managed to get a video today and sent it to OPC Portsmouth who’ve booked it in under “pressure loss”. I’ll update this thread with the outcome.

I don’t have enough knowledge to go rooting around the engine myself, plus the car is under warranty.

Attachments

• Turbo Boost.mp4
    13 MB
Last edited:
Sorry to hear this.

The one thing I would say is that a smoke test is pretty commonly used to show induction leaks, however, the pressure of the system isn’t anywhere near high enough to open up a small split in a rubber hose. If it comes back all clear from the inspection you really need to mention the limitation of testing in this way.

I only mention this as deMort indicated that a pressure rig like I DIY’d probably isn’t standard garage equipment!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
concept303
Back