Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Diamond cut alloy corrosion - refurbish or sell/swap?

ERZ676

2016 Boxster 981, 20" Turbo alloys showing signs of distress. I believe quite common, but the corrosion under the lacquer is making my car look quite shabby.
My options are machine refurbishment which I believe will only give up to 12 months respite or wheel replacement which is obviously expensive.

On wheel replacement – are these wheels sellable? Would I need to have them refurbished before trying to sell?
Does anyone know of wheel exchange options.
I would prefer to get non-diamond cut wheels next time.
20" Carrera S wheels perhaps.

I appreciate your feedback.

Attachments

• car_1_204.jpg
    car_1_204.jpg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 4,443
  • wheel_1_159.jpg
    wheel_1_159.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 4,443
The problem is that when you lacquer raw shiny metal there is no key, so it cannot adhere properly. That is why the lacquer has chipped and allowed water ingress hence the corrosion.

The solution is not to lacquer the diamond cut part but to use a nano coating, which normally is good for a few months and then keep re coating.

I use autoglym extra gloss protection. It is not a polish but a coating. I used this successfully for about 19 years on a set of diamond cut cobra wheels. Every three years or so i would re polish the face with metal polish, which itself leaves a coating and then finish off with the aforementioned coating.

I also use it where i have polished aluminium engine components.

I was told about this by a company in the midlands who make alloy wheels and he explained that they could not lacquer the polished parts as they kept getting warranty claims so used the autoglym coating instead. That was a long time ago and i am sure nano coating work better.

I have just had 4 wheels refurbished and it was £60 per wheel (19") so not a great expense to have your re done.

I'd refurb and sell on; diamond cut rims look good until the lacquer comes off, and it always comes off. Much like you, I prefer painted rims.

I will be getting my polished rims re-polished this summer and then left unlacquered so that they can be sealed instead.

This corrosion is often referred to as 'white worm' and is very common on poorly refurbished / repaired wheels.

Speak to Chris @ Exel Wheels, he can explain your problem / options. His service is excellent and can include a spare set of wheels, while yours are being repaired :thumbs:

Thanks for the replies - I hadn't considered refurb without lacquer.
I will do a little more research on Nano/Autoglym products.
Sounds interesting.

:worship:

Speak to Chris at Exel
Even though I'm in Cornwall I use him for diamond cut wheels
They probably will be better finished than when new

This is interesting, this company does lacquer its diamond cut wheels after refurbishing...

[/url]

I have pinged Exel, I have just one wheel with the white worm on 997.2 Turbo...annoying

After refurbishment

Wheels finished in OEM Platinum gloss.
Exel wheels via courier (no loan wheels for me because I live across the border in Scotland).

Attachments

• wheel_1_525.jpg
    wheel_1_525.jpg
    871.4 KB · Views: 2,706
  • wheel_2_146.jpg
    wheel_2_146.jpg
    948.7 KB · Views: 2,706
Re: After refurbishment

ERZ676 said:
Wheels finished in OEM Platinum gloss.
Exel wheels via courier (no loan wheels for me because I live across the border in Scotland).

That would be my preference. Ditch the 'bare' metal diamond cut element and have the whole wheel sprayed :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
concept303
Back