Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dansk replace or upgrade

tob_today

Imola
Very sorry, another exhaust thread. I've just gone back through several years of threads via search but need some advice please. I'm going round in circles.

My 996 3.4 has Dansk Sport (996.300S) rear boxes to replace the originals. 5 years old, 10k miles. Everything else standard. They are ok, just lacking a bit of excitement.

I don't want anti-social loud or any drone. Just a little bit more fun once above 3-4k, and fairly civilised under (I live in quiet suburban street and park in front of my retired neighbours bay window).

I'm not massively fussed about budget. I will always pay a bit more for quality ('buy cheap, buy twice' philosophy). I don't want switchable.

I heard another 3.4 with Cargraphic Super Sound rear boxes and it was really nice sound but too anti-social for my neighbours. So something in between the Dansk and these.

I was warned off cat replacement route as it will be too loud for me and MoT emissions risk (unless someone tells me different) and instead I'm better swapping out the Dansk boxes.

Thinking...

- TopGear Mild (TG Sounds probably too loud from other people's comments, but will Milds be too similar to my Dansk?)
- Cargraphic TUV Sound (seems to be their mid range, but too similar to my Dansk Sports?)
- Miltek Sport (nice sound on poor quality YouTube vids, but don't know how compare)
- Kline (seems to be full system with cats, and most expensive)

I'm also looking to get bigger oval tips (GT3?) to replace the standard too-small tips. Don't know if this makes much difference to sound. Maybe also air intake if this makes significant difference. Too many options!

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Attachments

• dansk_177.jpg
    dansk_177.jpg
    972.9 KB · Views: 3,575
you could Gundo hack the existing Dansk boxes for a bit more sound, £200-250 I think for someone to weld on the pipes

Top Gear Mild are no louder than the cars standard exhaust.

Keeping your exisiting boxes and adding 200 Cell cats may get you where you want to be, I have no experience but have heard good things.

If you want more noise above 3k and not be anti-social you may be better focusing on induction noise.

BMC panel will add some noise, K&N cone filter will add more noise.

The exhaust tips do nothing for sound at all, they are purely aesthetic, the large OEM ovals have EP4110 stamped on them.

I;ve got the Dansk supersport (the same as yours but noisy - I think that's what it's called) and it is indeed fairly noisy. It's not toooo bad and actually fine at motorway speeds but not ideal for a quiet suburban street.

Just a data point for you.

I would say that swapping out the cats for some sports cats might make a decent difference, decats are very loud but sports cats don't tend to be that bad and improve the tonal quality IMO. You could go for an X-pipe which makes a nice difference.

If you really don't like it or find it's too loud then they hold their money very well and could be moved on for minimal loss on here or Ebay.

Thanks for suggestions so far. I've found this very interesting article from Aug 2017 911 & Porsche World magazine: https://www.pressreader.com/uk/911-porsche-world/20170803/283476436288258

Looks like the mid-range Cargraphic are out if the Sound's are only just "a little louder than standard", and the Super Sound's are too loud. Must be something in between.

Specifically:

"There are three different grades of internal baffling for a Cargraphic silencer, producing three different variations of sound, effectively, so you could have what would be considered an OE sound, which is identified as ET, and then the TàœV box which is a little louder than standard and called an ETR, and then the non-tüv export version which is an ETS."

Then from Cargraphics website https://www.cargraphicts.com/en/products/exhaust-systems/for-porsche/911-models/996-34l/:

Sport Rear Silencer Sets for
- Porsche 996 Carrera 3,4L

TàœV VERSION
Part No: CARP96ET

TàœV SOUND VERSION
Part No: CARP96ETR

SUPER SOUND VERSION
Part No: CARP96ETS

crash7 said:
Top Gear Mild are no louder than the cars standard exhaust.

Keeping your existing boxes and adding 200 Cell cats may get you where you want to be, I have no experience but have heard good things.

If you want more noise above 3k and not be anti-social you may be better focusing on induction noise. BMC panel will add some noise, K&N cone filter will add more noise.

So that's the TG's also out. I was hoping to avoid the 200 cell cats with the Dansk as it seems a big unknown mixing different products not designed together, and potential emissions issues (even if they do improve engine flexibility a little with less restricted breathing). Prefer to just switch backboxes and keep it simple. Maybe also with some other air products as you say, although I thought they really make a small difference at lower RPM.

peterg1955 said:
you could Gundo hack the existing Dansk boxes for a bit more sound, £200-250 I think for someone to weld on the pipes

Maybe an option, although a quick search didn't bring up much joy to give any comparison (and perhaps damage resale if I wanted to sell them on later).

Shalmaneser said:
I;ve got the Dansk supersport (the same as yours but noisy - I think that's what it's called) and it is indeed fairly noisy. It's not toooo bad and actually fine at motorway speeds but not ideal for a quiet suburban street.

Thanks, so definitely not the right option for me.

Seems manufactures aim for 'bit louder than OE', then v.loud.

There must be something in between? Millteks maybe?

I have the same 300S back boxes mated to the straight TG 200 sports cats. Easy enough to fit and I didn't have any emission issues when the car was MOTD a couple of months ago.

I posted a video clip on a TG group buy thread at the time so you may want to check that out.

No complaints, not too much different to the stock silencer sound .... or have I just forgotten what it used to sound like??

beanoir said:
Interesting, I have the Dansk boxes on mine and they're pretty throaty. I would say slightly louder than the Carnewal exhaust on my Cayman R. https://youtu.be/JIXaxMeftr8

Interesting as yours is much better sound than mine. I would be very happy with that.

I just found this interesting thread: http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=125416

"I had my designtek silencers Gundo hack done on Saturday. The job was done by style dynamics is Hayes. They did a really nice job. They welded a 1.5" curved pipe from inlet to outlet. The results are very pleasing, but not massively dramatic. I guess the silencers were already louder than oem. The horrid blowing noise at lownrevs has gone, and the exhaust note is generally much harder and close to a proper pse to my ears. All in all a good job and £300 well spent. Would recommend."

I called Style Dynamics and they said they can do this on the Dansk's for £299+VAT, and suggested this as a good first step for step-up in sound, and would not be as loud as swapping out cats as these are a major noise suppressor.

Could be cost-effective next step to try. Bit of a gamble as nothing to compare to (I guess very few people fit a Dansk Sport then hack them at extra cost).

I also tried contacting Paul at PCW exhaust mods, but seems his business has taken off and he's not taking any more bookings until after April next year.

Would still like to know how Milltek's compare volume-wise to the other aftermarket options. Probably my favourite sound just from clips, but don't seem as popular as TG's or Dansk.

Thread resurrection!

Hello, just wondering if you went ahead and got the Dansk Sport silencers Gundo hack'd?

I've just had to fit a second hand pair on mine to get it through the MOT (My PSE were looking like they have been dredged off the sea bed!)

They are a fair bit quieter than the PSE that were stuck in the loud position, but also have a heavy bass frequency that I'm not keen on. They are also not as raw at high revs.

Just thinking about a similar route to you..... Or get some old standard boxes and Gundo hack those.

Would be v interested if you had any feedback

Thanks

(Almost) perfect timing. After all my research, best option for what I want is the Kline system with cats, but funds don't allow. It's also big price. One for the future wish list.

So in meantime I decided to take chance on the gundo route with my existing Dansk boxes. A few hundred quid is worth a go. Apparently key is width of new pipes. General consensus (and Paul at PCW) is 1.5" is best balance, so I went with this.

It's just had the work done at my indy and I'm waiting to pick it up (lockdown delays). They said it sounds good, not much difference at idle but throatier at higher revs. Just what I want for now.

I'm really looking forward to picking it up to hear myself. I can then give a better update. I don't expect any drone or other issues.

Although I don't recall a heavy base frequency on my Dansk boxes.

Ah brilliant.

Great update, thanks. I'll be very interested to see what you think of the mod after you've tried them out.

My car also has 200 cell cats, so that might be affecting the amount of bass frequency as well? : Don't know:

I'm presuming PCW have put the pipe between the inlet and outlet pipes as opposed to tapping into the boxes themselves?

Spent ages listening to YouTube vids, but most are poor quality and of someone revs the engine while stationery which never really tells you much I feel, so looking forward to hearing your description and what you think.

Thanks again

I can very happily report that the 1.5" bypass pipe mod (aka gundo hack) is a great success on my Dansk boxes. It gives me EXACTLY what I was looking for. In between OEM and the various 'loud / sport' boxes which are too much for my local neighbourhood.

Sounds just like Matt Watson's YouTube video (he has loads of great sound clips). Throatier at start up and as revs build over 3-4k, but not obtrusive or non-neighbourly. The 1.5" pipes give perfect sound to my ears. No booming either, just nice subtle background noise with windows closed, and great when open.

Highly recommended for the money. :thumbs:

I'm sure Kline is even better, but it's also thousands more £££. So this will do me absolutely fine until I eventually need to replace the Dansk boxes. Then maybe Kline one day in future, with 200 cells too.

... oh and I also had the bigger EP4110 oval tips fitted same time to replace the standard pea-shooters, so now also have the visual effect to match the sound. Even better :D

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
white981gt4
Back