Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bolts and Spacers. Do you Copper Grease?

SilverSurfer13

I’m about to add spacers and new bolts to the car and have always traditionally smeared a bit of cg onto the side of the spacer that mates onto the hub and a thin smear onto the wheel bolts too.

Appreciate there’s many views on the correctness of this but wondered what the consensus is across here.

I hate dry, but apparently any lubricant affects the torques.
I squirt some wd40 on to give everything a chance,.

I have in the past put the tiniest smear of aluslip or CG on the threads. I always coat the mating faces of the wheel/spacers/hubs. I've realised though that as a tinkerer I often have the wheels off so for me the antiseize probably doesn't matter that much. I also follow Excel wheels advice and put antizseize (I forget the product name) on the surface between the wheel bolt collar and hex head.
EDIT: When I say mating surface, I mean flat non threaded surfaces.

Last edited:
If I can offer my advice it would be that you absolutely should not put copper grease or any other form of anti seize compound onto mating surfaces, as previously mentioned it hydraulics between the surfaces and distorts any torque readings.

It's widely known in the truck world and has been a contributing factor over the years to wheel loss, the recommended process would be to clean all surfaces with a suitable wire brush or alloy cleaning tool and then either fit dry or alternatively use a very light oil on the central bore of the wheel but not the mating surface.

Hope this helps.

If I can offer my advice it would be that you absolutely should not put copper grease or any other form of anti seize compound onto mating surfaces, as previously mentioned it hydraulics between the surfaces and distorts any torque readings.

It's widely known in the truck world and has been a contributing factor over the years to wheel loss, the recommended process would be to clean all surfaces with a suitable wire brush or alloy cleaning tool and then either fit dry or alternatively use a very light oil on the central bore of the wheel but not the mating surface.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. What about between the spacer and the wheel hub?

When I fitted my spaces, 7mm front 15mm rear
straight on no grease

All depends on how long the wheels are gonna stay on for. If they only come off every few years at tyre change then grease up, if like me, your hydraulic jack is up and down like a brides nightie every week then you don't need to bother.

The Porsche Technical Bulletin Manuals that cover many models and years, including for my 1986 911 Carrera Targa, state that the threads and shoulders must be lubricated w/ Optimoly HT and that specified treatment doesn't affect tightening torque.

My seat-of-the-pants impression is that the characteristics of the Optimoly HT are VERY similar to Antiseize.

The wheel studs on my 911 are treated w/ that specified Optimoly HT prior to being properly tightened to the specified torque.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back