Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone with a .2 and independent warranty?

Messer

I am interested in a .2 GTS but it's just lapsed on its warranty. I wanted to hear from anyone with an independent warranty experience with one of these and if it was good or bad

Before it's mentioned just get Porsche - I understand that, but putting that argument to the side - I hear RAC warranties are actually quite good - but are they blown Porsche turbo good?!

I don't know about RAC but they will outsource to an underwriter and the devil will be in the detail.

And you mention the .2 turbo issues which I assume are rare but are reported and costly.

Had a similar experience when I bought mine (seller had cashed in the transferable warranty), so for peace of mind I negotiated a free OPC 111pt check, waited for the 90 day ownership to elapse and took out a Porche warranty (which needs another 111pt check at your cost). For me that just flagged rear discs and pads which the seller rectified with Porsche parts.

I think you would struggle to find a better warranty than what Porsche offer.

Appreciate that doesn't really answer your question but I'll eat my hat if someone pipes up and says 'yes I had my turbos replaced' on an after market warranty (unless the premium was huge).

in my experience taking the turbo as example. the warranty would cover failure

If you start using oil and blowing smoke, they may fight you over it whereas OPC would just get on and replace

for these type of cars if you have the money go OPC warranty

P.S on my 991.1 TTS they replaced turbo due to actuator seizing -no quibble

As others mentioned, it has to be an OPC warranty for an expensive toy.

Messer said:
Before it's mentioned just get Porsche - I understand that, but putting that argument to the side - I hear RAC warranties are actually quite good - but are they blown Porsche turbo good?!

Why "put that argument aside". :?

The Porsche warranty is known to cover any major eventuality. You may save a few quid on going elsewhere but you'll almost certainly have a worry/doubt as to whether you're fully covered should need to make a major claim.

I've had OPC warranty in the past and have RAC warranty currently on other cars. I know which gave me the most peace of mind.

I'll be very surprised if anyone owning such a new Porsche and needing a warranty has gone the non-OPC route.

It's only a suggestion but if you've found a car you're seriously interested in buying you could make your offer subject to it being acceptable to the OPC scheme and use any 111 point check failings for negotiating the buying price. You'd have to pay for the 111 point check but that would be money well spent anyway. Dealer obligations would cover you for the 90 days you need to wait to apply for it.

If the car is being sold privately you could pay for the cost of the warranty but ask the existing owner to get it put on. That way you won't have to wait the 90 days.

Turbo's can be repaired and they are not that costly to do so. They are not VTG on the GTS so simple in construction. Mine was 550bhp, used at Spa, 191 mph on the runway many times and no issues.

I am interested in a .2 GTS but it's just lapsed on its warranty. I wanted to hear from anyone with an independent warranty experience with one of these and if it was good or bad

just to add to this
in my experience, any Garage selling an RAC warranty, avoid, they are not worth the paper they are printed on

I have an AutoGard warranty on my 997.2 (2011) and they covered a new ECU but not a window regulator or hose, but from what i have read OPC warrantys can be like that

Dean

Currently in the process of getting my exhaust changed on an 8 year old Cayman under OPC warranty because of a sticking valve.
What other warranty scheme out there would do this?

even OPC warranties are not what they used to be like

always make sure and argue case with dealer around what is covered and is'nt as I swear they always chance an arm. Multiple times saved thousands - one time even claimed I did not have a warranty

Another one for the opc warranty, no quibbles and it’s sorted, also got a car paid for my Porsche gb for the month my car was down and for the smaller issues the opc has provided nice new pannies and cayennes. No paperwork no faff on the phone or nail biting are they going to cover it, had 3rd party warranties on other cars and it was a 50/50 on claims covered. Yes u will get 2 years for the price of 1 on a 3rd party but you probably won’t get anywhere near the same cover.

I had a turbo failure on 991.2. Car was under Warrantywise Platinum Plus Warranty- most comprehensive policy they do; car on 26k miles. First they tried to argue that the oil line, a common failure point, wasn't a mechanical part; then that this was a common issue thus excluded. Eventually I managed to get a £1500 goodwill contribution out of them but I had to get onto their CEO and threaten to sue. It was a massive headache. 991.2 turbos fail left, right and centre. I wouldn't touch one again without OPC Warranty. It's just not worth the hassle.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kashmir
Back