Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 C4S PDK Cab - 8 Year Service - Corroded Turbo Nuts

sparticle

Monza
My C4S is in at OPC for an early 8 year service.

They did an inspection and advised I needed 2 coil packs as they were seized. They were covered by my warranty.

Water Pump leaking needing replacement, also covered by my warranty and corroded exhaust studs and nuts to be replaced at the same time.

After approving all the work. I just got a note saying that they have now found corroded turbo nuts that need replacing at a cost of £860 inc Vat!

Not covered by my warranty.

Does anyone else have any experience with corroded turbo nuts? I am a bit shocked as never had this on any other car. These have never been picked up on any previous service or health check.

My mileage is low annually and it's never seen rain etc. in my ownership.

Advice appreciated.

Cheers
Spart

I had turbo flange nuts replaced when my car was 8 years old for the same reason.

8 of them came in at around £35 but it was a 1.5 hour job.

That was 8 years ago, but even so, £860 seems crazy.

T8 said:
I had turbo flange nuts replaced when my car was 8 years old for the same reason.

Was that at an OPC?

sparticle said:
T8 said:

Was that at an OPC?

Yes, Tonbridge.

sparticle said:
T8 said:

Was that at an OPC?

I just noticed that was a different model to mine. Mine is a 2016 991.2 C4S PDK Cab.

Should that make that much difference?

Cheers
Spart

Quick update on this

So I managed to get the bill down to 495+ vat for replacing the Turbo nuts and studs. 3 hours labour.

Once finished I had a chat with the engineer who put my car back on the ramp and showed me what had been done on the major service, water pump replacement 2 x coil packs and all of the studs and nuts on the exhaust system.

TBH 3 hours labour to replace these is a total rip off. They are easily accessible standing under the car. And of course replaced with the same steel shite that Porsche supply as new.

I cannot understand why someone like Porsche is using these crap materials on components that are clearly going to be exposed to the elements. With their buying power all of these studs and nuts on the exhaust manifold, coil pack sleeves exhaust system and turbo connections could easily be titanium and it would have a minimal impact on the cost of the vehicle. Crazy! :wtf: :gunfire:

They advised not to coat them in anything.

Does anyone have any tried and tested coating for these High Temp components to protect from the same issue in the future.

Cheers
Spart

Their business model is better than your suggestion of using better components. They fit rubbish at the factory and save some money. They also create a guaranteed income stream for their dealers for years to come.

Magic919 said:
Their business model is better than your suggestion of using better components. They fit rubbish at the factory and save some money. They also create a guaranteed income stream for their dealers for years to come.

Yeah, but a bit s**t really. Also in other markets you could sue them for selling goods not fit for purpose :D

Do you have any examples of when that has happened?

I'm just wondering if they factor in the length of time it 'could' take to remove the corroded nuts.
I did mine on a 997.1 turbo and it took me ages to get the seized nuts off as they literally had to be cut off. The studs were in perfect condition, it's just the nuts that are made from 'toffee'.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back