Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another weekend, Another ask for help...

talal

Monza
HI all,

Went out for a drive earlier and was getting an awful knocking noise from the front of the car, got it back home and jacked it up to have a look.

The front passenger spring has snapped...

I have the car booked in with Sid at Porsche torque for its annual service on Friday so luckily got a spot at a decent garage for work this week.

Any tips on what i need to do now?

Do i have to replace both front springs together? What about the rears?

Do i just buy the OEM springs or opt for H&S/eibach and lower the car slightly at the front? Can i do that and leave the rears?

Is it ok to drive the car to the garage or does it need to be towed?

While its being fixed anything else i should be doing while they are out, will replace bumpstops and dust guards but anything else while the suspension is out?

Thanks in advance

Talal

From my basic knowledge and limited experience:

- you can drive carefully to the garage
- I would fit a pair of new springs at the front and have the rears inspected
- I don't think it would be wise to lower the front and not the rear
- honestly I think I would stay OEM

Good luck

Springs

+1 on stick with OEM for everyday driving. Suggest both fronts are replaced. They will have coloured paint marks on them, but the part number should provide you with what you need. Sometimes your OPC will work out cheaper than the likes of Design 911, sometimes....
At least it has happened now rather than just after the service. As the front struts will need to come out, the front end will then need a geometry set up.

I replaced my rear springs as a pair when one snapped. Didn't want to drive the car to the garage as it was riding very low and it's a bit of a way across Birmingham for me with speed bumps and potholes a plenty!

Just spoken to Sid - will get the car in on thursday instead of friday..

he is going to replace both springs at the front and said he will order and replace anything perishable on the suspension while it is out...

Starting to expect an expensive bill this week... no idea what it will cost, any ideas what to expect?

Springs themselves aren't overly expensive from opc. I think around £230 for the pair. Not sure on labour I did mine myself (massive ballache) if no issues with rusty bolts I would expect a garage to need 2-3 hours

Thanks, i dropped that car off on wednesday to Sid and hoping to collect it today..

iv prepared myself for a £1000+ bill to include the new springs, bump stops, gaitors and probably top mounts... then the oil change that it was originally scheduled in for...

Annoying but im hoping to get a better riding car back with new perishables at the front end... no idea if this is logical or not but im assuming that as the springs get close to failure they probably dont perform as well as they used to??

911s are super sensitive to set up. I'd personally have done all four springs. Your rear springs will have aged and sagged over 15 years and may now be softer than your new front springs. Car should track straight but on a 911 because of where the engine is you generally want the rear of the car firmer than the front to get better turn in and less understeer. For road driving though won't make a difference only on track when you're on it you'd feel it. Always better to refresh all the suspension. TBH if Sid not happy he'll recommend you change the rear springs himself. He's very good.

I need some proper advice now!

Just spoken to Sid, he has said that front dampers are knackered as well, 1 of the bolts is seized and they are rusty so has recomended they are replaced.

750 for 2 front PASM dampers, 400 ish for the springs

He said the rears look fine to him so now im in a bit of a quandry - wouldn't it just make sense to replace all four corners with a different suspension set up?

[email protected]

Tractive Touring Line circa £3500

plug and play for 911s with PASM and cheaper than OEM :D

Attachments

• 31ae007a_4fac_4611_94d1_dc3a8328b5c7_205.jpeg
    31ae007a_4fac_4611_94d1_dc3a8328b5c7_205.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 983
bloody hell they look nice...

Spoke to Sid again he just said do the fronts OEM the rears don't have any rust and look in good condition so will last, he said he doesnt recommend trying to upgrade for the use i have (occasion road only) ill just be throwing money away

Yes only worth it if you really do a lot of enthusiastic driving on bumpy b roads mixed in with the odd track day. Stock best for most peeps :thumbs:

Those tractive do look nice. Didn't someone on here have an issue with them on his Carrera?

There was an issue specific to the 997 C2S TracTive Touring Line kit. A supplier had changed a component's spec through CV19 with supply chain issues without informing TracTive. Sorted now.

Sid / Porsche Torque makes a great point though unless you do the odd trackday and or drive hard on bumpy surfaces the stock set up best for majority of Porsche owners.

Having said that I'd still do all four corners sods law the rear shocks starts leaking etc shortly after the fronts knackered. TracTive, Ohlins, Bilstein Damptronics, KW etc a no brainer (for me) as they're similar or less than OEM shocks for the enthusiast driver IMO but all of the aftermarket coilovers other than Tractive have a more sporty and firmer ride. For comfort OEM or TracTive best IMO. TracTive still a bit firmer than OEM but only just. Explained well here how TracTive work and can be adapted to work for a non PASM 911. Brilliant in a heavy 1600kg 911 turbo like mine almost like taking 200kgs out the car the way it now handles :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back