Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Upgrades

Northerner

Trainee
As I'm just about to pull the trigger on a buying a 996.2 GT3 which will be used 80/20 road/track, i'm after some pointers on some upgrades i'll like to make:

1) RS/Cup Front cutouts/rad tilting - Are there any kits for this or idiot proof instructions and shopping lists?
2) Rear Cup bumper - Where's the best place to get one from? I quite like the centre exit and assume it makes the exhaust pipe work less convoluted?
3) Exhaust systems - How easy is it to match a cup silencer with 200cell cats to make a road legal system? Failing that, which system provides proven power, is robust, sounds nice and would be track noise police friendly, even if turn downs are needed?
4) Brakes - Are Alcon replacement rotors still the 'go-to' or are there better/more easily obtainable options?
5) Cup rear spoiler - Where's the best place to get one from?
6) 8:32 final drive - Any feedback from people who've had this done would be welcome
7) Suspension - I've found that the higher end systems cope better with road and track use due to their greater damping control - Any recommendations on manufacturers & setups would be welcome

:thumb:

Northerner said:
1) RS/Cup Front cutouts/rad tilting - Are there any kits for this or idiot proof instructions and shopping lists?

Not really; Mathey sold a kit to do it but it was pretty rubish tbh. Have a look on rennlist for various methods of mounting. Use the GT2 chimney to make it work much better. Don't forget to block up the vents on the underside of the PU to force the air to go upwards.

PM me with an email address & I can send you a measurement template for the top of the bumper to convert it to RS spec.

2) Rear Cup bumper - Where's the best place to get one from? I quite like the centre exit and assume it makes the exhaust pipe work less convoluted?

Porsche motorsport. If you get really desperate trying to locate one, I have a spare one in carbon I might part with...

Bear in mind that to do it properly, you need the Cup tow hook fitted & unless you're a good fabricator, you'll lose the rear crash bar in the proccess.

3) Exhaust systems - How easy is it to match a cup silencer with 200cell cats to make a road legal system? Failing that, which system provides proven power, is robust, sounds nice and would be track noise police friendly, even if turn downs are needed?

You'll struggle trying to make Cup silencer take cats / pass track noise limits. I've got a full M&M Cup system on mine. It has side cans which are essential imho. I still need turn-downs at tracks that are 100db or under.

4) Brakes - Are Alcon replacement rotors still the 'go-to' or are there better/more easily obtainable options?

I used to sell Alcon; now we offer our own design based on AP hardware.

https://uber9s.com/product/uber9s-362mm-floating-disc/

5) Cup rear spoiler - Where's the best place to get one from?

Porsche Motorsport but I wouldn't on a road car. You'll need to replace the rear bootlid as well. It's designed to have retaining pins so not ideal for security. Try to source an RS carbon wing, it fits straight on.

6) 8:32 final drive - Any feedback from people who've had this done would be welcome

Yes, I did it years back; kept it for a year & reverted to stock. It reduces the speed in every gear by 12% and you'll top out at around 176mph. It's a decent upgrade but it's still compromised compared to the 997.2 RS ratios which I'm running now.

7) Suspension - I've found that the higher end systems cope better with road and track use due to their greater damping control - Any recommendations on manufacturers & setups would be welcome

I ran Moton for years but have been on Nitron R3 for a few years now. It's as good as Ohlins TTX imho with the rebuild costs much more sensible plus they're a UK company. With decent suspension its quite possible to use monoballs everywhere without the car being a complete pain on the road.

You're looking at a minimum £15k spend to do your list, assuming you get lucky picking up some stuff for a decent price second hand...

Good luck!

NXI20 said:
Northerner said:

Yes, I did it years back; kept it for a year & reverted to stock. It reduces the speed in every gear by 12% and you'll top out at around 176mph. It's a decent upgrade but it's still compromised compared to the 997.2 RS ratios which I'm running now.

:sad:

I'm still umm-ing and ahh'ing on this, will be making a final decision in the next few weeks (I can see Cunno's eyes rolling into the back of his head as I type this)

The latest thing stopping me from doing the 8:32 is I read that as the ratios are x% shorter, the wear on the gearbox will be x% quicker and thus will need more maintenance - obvious when you think about it, but I um, hadn't...

My current thinking is that fitting a LWFW will give me a nice half-way house, bit more excitement but without increasing maintenance or extra rpm noise on mway cruising. Not really what I want (which is the shorter ratios), but I'm not willing to spend approx £1bn+VAT (supply & fit for a 7.2 RS 'box/equivalent ratios from the likes of JZM) to do it 'properly'

I heard on the grapevine that Senoj had the 8:32 conversion done recently, would be good to hear his thoughts on it too, and see if he reckons he'll put up wth it longer than Nick did :)

Roro said:

I'm still umm-ing and ahh'ing on this, will be making a final decision in the next few weeks (I can see Cunno's eyes rolling into the back of his head as I type this)

The latest thing stopping me from doing the 8:32 is I read that as the ratios are x% shorter, the wear on the gearbox will be x% quicker and thus will need more maintenance - obvious when you think about it, but I um, hadn't...

My current thinking is that fitting a LWFW will give me a nice half-way house, bit more excitement but without increasing maintenance or extra rpm noise on mway cruising. Not really what I want (which is the shorter ratios), but I'm not willing to spend approx £1bn+VAT (supply & fit for a 7.2 RS 'box/equivalent ratios from the likes of JZM) to do it 'properly'

I heard on the grapevine that Senoj had the 8:32 conversion done recently, would be good to hear his thoughts on it too, and see if he reckons he'll put up wth it longer than Nick did :)

It won't make any real difference on wear. I retired my original 'box at 175K miles. It had 1 bearing replaced after 100-odd K miles, that was it. The oil was changed religiously every 10K miles and I think that makes far more difference.

The wear risk on the 8:32 is that the teeth will mesh on the same set of teeth every 4 revolutions of the pinion. Again, when I took mine out after 10ish K miles, it had no measurable wear & was sold to someone who put it in a Cup car.

I was out with Senoj at Donington last week & I think it's safe to say 8:32 was worth over a second a lap although he's now got Nitron on too so it's only a guess. Convensional wisdom is that it feels like you've got an extra 30bhp. He's happy.

PS A brand new 997.2 RS box is actually under £20k which is much easier to justify when you have a 'box that's done 175K miles to rebuild as the alternative :floor:

Roro said:
NXI20 said:
Northerner said:

I'm very happy with it. So, lucky me, I have a .2 RS for a reference point. I have always said I thought the biggest discernible difference between a 997 GT3 (have had this car too) and the GTRS was the gearing. I can now, albeit in 996 guise and missing perhaps the fizz of the 3.6 7.1 engine or even then 3.8RS engine up top, categorically say it's how these cars should have come from the onset. Forget lap times. Road or track it's the just the way it all works together and that pudding stirrer between the seats gets more use which to my mind is what a manual car is all about. If the cruise gearing bothers you, and it really shouldn't, then I'd advocate going 10mph slower on the motorway.

I bought a 996.2 gt3 (speed yellow) when i considered my elise s2 too slow in a straight line.

I was very pleased with it as it was quiet enough to pass the noise test at Bedford.

It was the fastest speed i had ever achieved, 151mph back straight Gt circuit and with ceramic discs braking distances shrank. my car was standard with aircon and bucket seats.

The only mod i would have made was extra sound proofing to stop the booming in the cabin. A real pita on a day trip to the seaside as, as best i tried I could not drive it anywhere near as fast as it was capable of going and to make matters worse every time i looked in my mirror there was an exige or a catherham up my bum.

So i sold it and bought a cup exige and spent the rest of my track days wooshing past GT3's in it.

Great car the GT3, I just wish i was brave enough to drive it on the limit.

I like your idea of the body mods but watch the exhaust as you might not pass the noise tests.

Senoj said:
Roro said:
NXI20 said:
Northerner said:

I'm very happy with it. So, lucky me, I have a .2 RS for a reference point. I have always said I thought the biggest discernible difference between a 997 GT3 (have had this car too) and the GTRS was the gearing. I can now, albeit in 996 guise and missing perhaps the fizz of the 3.6 7.1 engine or even then 3.8RS engine up top, categorically say it's how these cars should have come from the onset. Forget lap times. Road or track it's the just the way it all works together and that pudding stirrer between the seats gets more use which to my mind is what a manual car is all about. If the cruise gearing bothers you, and it really shouldn't, then I'd advocate going 10mph slower on the motorway.

... but then I'd never arrive anywhere on time :?: :grin:

Thanks for sharing your views. My car will always be a toy so it's not like I'm going to commute in it or anything I suppose. I'll sleep on it (again) and no doubt change my mind another 5 times :wack:

Northerner said:

If you want the centre exit setup and cats, you can fit a complete 997 system. Manifolds (inc cats) side silencers/side silencer deletes and centre silencer.

All bolt directly to the 996 with only a change of rear silencer hanger bracket for one from a 996 Turbo/997 GT3.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back