Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S + Boxster or 997 Turbo.....

Yes i get the wife thing for sure, but I'm lucky there that she's very understanding and is about to get two new kittens so not an issue :D

Maybe i should just get a sprint booster for the C4s (as per your sig), enjoy the 4.5K recently sank into the car this year etc.

Also looking about for 15-17K you seem to be able to get an 07 Boxster S with 295HP, manual gearbox, 50k miles and sports chrono etc which would i suspect be a riot down our local country lanes on a sunny day. Well aware driving a turbo would likely instantly change my mindset however....

will keep thinking on 8)

I'd seriously consider a test drive of a 996T if you decide the turbo route. Not convinced the 997.1 is worth the extra ££ and edges further towards too refined to be enjoyable in my eyes. In my opinion its just such a sweet spot for the turbo range.

I can vouch for the Boxster being a great drive. I owned two 987 Boxsters and lived them. I still own a Boxster now albeit a 981

Had considered the 996T and been in one and they are great cars, my only thought process there was its (apart from the power) effectively identical to what I have in terms of looks/bodywork/interior and with all the same potential bits needed which have been done on mine (all brake lines, flexis, Rads/condensors etc). A good 996 Turbo also seems to be blurring lines with good 997T, so the engine the only real but obviously big difference......

So advance of the 997 is attractive and agree beyond the 997 the rhetoric seems to be that the cars got too refined and grew in size.

My sensible head says the C4S is fast enough for my use (don't do European blasts etc) and sounds glorious with the PSE. The big kid in me though wants the turbo prestige and the timings have aligned with finances, age of kids (no uni fees for a few years yet).......i suspect I'll likely test drive a Boxster S and see if it blows my socks off fun wise and go from there!

gilessav said:
Had considered the 996T and been in one and they are great cars, my only thought process there was its (apart from the power) effectively identical to what I have in terms of looks/bodywork/interior and with all the same potential bits needed which have been done on mine (all brake lines, flexis, Rads/condensors etc). A good 996 Turbo also seems to be blurring lines with good 997T, so the engine the only real but obviously big difference ......

I was fortunate to have a 996T and a 997T at the same time. My notes on both at that time are

here --> http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=105026&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=comparisons

At different price points they are both worthy of consideration but at the same money you'd have to be a real 996 fan to opt for the older car.

A great write up T8 and of course it descended into a light hearted 996 vs. 997 debate :dont know:

I actually think the C4S has the best rear end of the lot, but both Turbo's look great from their rear quarters for sure. Ironically been out digging some garden at the bottom of the driveway and a lovely 2004 Seal grey C4S just drove past and reminded me how good they look, perhaps its a sign :lol:

gilessav said:
Yes i get the wife thing for sure, but I'm lucky there that she's very understanding and is about to get two new kittens so not an issue :D

Maybe i should just get a sprint booster for the C4s (as per your sig), enjoy the 4.5K recently sank into the car this year etc.

Also looking about for 15-17K you seem to be able to get an 07 Boxster S with 295HP, manual gearbox, 50k miles and sports chrono etc which would i suspect be a riot down our local country lanes on a sunny day. Well aware driving a turbo would likely instantly change my mindset however....

will keep thinking on 8)

How about a pair of new puppies ? :nooo:

Really interesting thread. I've owned a 996 C4S Manual and then years later a 997.1 Turbo Cab Manual and 981 Boxster S PDK. The Turbo itch didn't go away until I bought it but I didn't enjoy the on/off performance which was more noticeable on the track. The 981 handling was much better than the 997 Turbo. The 997 handling was better than the 996. The 996 has the nicest looking rear end of all 911's in my humble opinion. I do miss my 996 C4S. I ended up in a 991.2 GTS Manual which I recently sold. I'll probably end up with a 997.2 4S Manual (facelift benefits) when I buy my next 911. I appreciate this may not help you but I thought I'd share my experience. Good luck.

always great to hear others thoughts, all is still on the cards but weighing up the option of also doing nothing and just keeping the C4S which is very sorted!

The Boxster option is attractive as the reviews are great and no cab in the fleet. The issue with the Boxster is purely its another car and not practical for the Mrs to drop off and pick up the 2 kids, which potentially reduces its utility.

saying that there is a 986S jut up the road, blue/grey, 2004 with 34k miles for £7.5k with apparently a bunch of common stuff just replaced; at that price point (assuming nothing awful) could likely run it for a couple of years and get back much of the outlay......

I'll likely do something spontaneous at some point and the Boxster option also removed the hassle of selling to buy and also a much lower price point and risk :?:

IMI A said:
...... Buy a 997 turbo cab she'll never give you the keys back. Nice white one at 911v. Decent place not to lose too much cash in fact you could own for a few years and still maybe come out square at say 30k miles. I'm amazed nobody has bought that car.

I note that this one has finally sold.

https://911virgin.com/listings/997-turbo-cabriolet-tiptronic/

Did you buy it gilessav :?:

Not me I'm afraid, looked a mint car and a great price and mileage but white cars are not for me I'm afraid..although opinions will obviously vary :)

I'm still debating the change. Have pretty much decided against adding the additional car of a boxster, great though that would be as just another set of Insurance/tax/service and driveway chess! There was even a 2004 blue 986S with 34k miles just 5miles down the road and resisted so talked myself out of that one!

Spent today triple washing and waxing the 996 and looking mint, but the lure of the 997 Turbo remains......

Partly what's stopping me is the hassle of having to sell the 996 (and of course the emotional attachment) or i guess p/ex might be possible with certain garages but doubt the price would be appealing.

Still checking out the ads on the various platforms, really need to go and see one to decide if its worth 2.5x my car......had i sold the C4S i'd be giving the chap on here a call about the slate grey manual turbo which looks spectacular! I was reading some old 911 mags (one of which my car featured in) and the price of 997 turbo's in 2013/14 was nuts, 50k would buy you a 7 year old car with 30k miles on it...hindsight eh :eek:

gilessav said:
...... I was reading some old 911 mags (one of which my car featured in) and the price of 997 turbo's in 2013/14 was nuts, 50k would buy you a 7 year old car with 30k miles on it...hindsight eh :eek:

....... and in 2015 you could buy a 48k mile, 8 year old car for under £43k.

Ask me how I know. :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geoff993
Back